PDA

View Full Version : Curious as to everyone's favorite character and what story made them their fav?

Eugene Selassie
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Iron Man: Armor Wars.

Not only did this story kick monster ass, was the pinnacle of Michelinie/Layton's second run on this book and had the total deconstruction and build up of Iron Man (WITHOUT HAVING TO RESORT TO TONY FALLING OFF THE WAGON, AGAIN), but Iron Man #225 (Part 1) was my very first comic.

Mark Bertolini
12-22-2008, 05:55 PM
If I had to pick, I'd go with Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX run. His MK run was good, but he really stepped up the "oh shit!" quotient when it became a MAX title.

Second pick would be Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil. Never gave a shit about the character until Bendis took over the reins (especialyl after the dismal Kevin Smith arc).

More recently, I was really digging Charlie Huston's work on Moon Knight, although now I see that he's no longer on the title.

Rob Norton
12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
when i was younger it was wolverine from the claremont era. of course i liked the badass with the knives in his hands, but the more i read, certain stories that fleshed him out made him my favorite. the elements of his character that took him from more than just a bladed badass. the loner with a heart that has immense feeling. his sadness. hes loyalty to his family/friends. its SO easy to have this character over used and be kinda boring. but done right, he will probably always be my favorite.

and i agree with daredevil on the bendis/maleev run(tho i enjoyed smith tons to.) but i didnt really KNOW the character until bendis wrote him. i miss him now that hes (bendis) is gone. but that run was spectacular.

Savage Dragon. love that guy and every issue of his run up to the 60's were sheer genius. when the dragon universe went all tits up in issue 75(i think it was) the stories were a bit less interesting to me.. tho the character stayed basically the same. it sounds like larsen is getting him back on track in a big way in the coming months and i look forward to that, but nothing ever has reached the sheer joy and fun of the adventures of the savage dragon in those first few years.

rob

Nitecrawlah2
12-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Daredevil's been one of my favorite characters for as long as I've been reading comics. The best (and one of the first I read) was the Born Again storyline by Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli. I felt like I was reading some action thriller movie within those pages. It had EVERYTHING, including one of the best Captain America characterizations/story I've ever read. I eventually collected the entire Frank Miller run on the character.

Eugene Selassie
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I also have to say Busiek/Chen Iron Man who in 2 years fixed the previous 10 years of problems.

Waid/Garney Cap. I love Bru's stuff, but Waid/Garney were the ORIGINATORS of the modern "Cap as Tom Clancy Novel" type stories.

Green Lantern/ Green Arrow: I LOVE how Marvel fans say DC never dealt with socially relevant issues...then I pull this book out and shut them the hell up.

New Teen Titans: See above.

Doom Patrol v2 #19: My first Grant Morrison experience. It was fun and trippy.

Harbinger: Before Heroes, Runaways, Rising Stars or any version of that type of non costumed super hero stories...Harbinger was the originator. I still say Valiant comics produced THE BEST COMICS OF THE 90s.

Busiek/Perez Avengers: They took a train that was off the rails and made it one of Marvel's top sellers...oh and some people might want to check the sales numbers...this book sold AS WELL AS NEW AVENGERS. The only reason it didnt for their whole run was because of a huge sales dip once Perez took a three issue break.

Simonson and Jurgens/Romita Jr Thor: This was Marvel level big cosmic with action that could rival Conan the Barbarian.

Aidy
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Eugene Selassie]

Green Lantern/ Green Arrow: I LOVE how Marvel fans say DC never dealt with socially relevant issues...then I pull this book out and shut them the hell up.

QUOTE]

why dont you just tell them their wrong instead of being all aggressive?

Buckyrig
12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I carry a brick with me at all times. I call it my Instant Coup De Grace. You gotta learn these ingnant somnabiches.

Aidy
12-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I carry a brick with me at all times. I call it my Instant Coup De Grace. You gotta learn these ingnant somnabiches.

Yeah but you do it with the style and grace of a man who everyone knows....
Denny Crane.

Buckyrig
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah but you do it with the style and grace of a man who everyone knows....
Denny Crane.

Damn! The joke was paint ball gun, wasn't it? D'oh!

Aidy
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Damn! The joke was paint ball gun, wasn't it? D'oh!

"Hi my name's Alan Shore and I have a problem with authority...and DC make titles about social issues"

Eugene Selassie
12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
No quoting Boston Legal around here....

:slap:

Eugene Selassie
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry...just tired of shows like that, Law & Order and House getting Emmys while BSG gets snubbed.

Eugene Selassie
12-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Damn...another comic.

Queen and Country: I got the trades and WOW...this is the best indie book I have ever read.

Buckyrig
12-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry...just tired of shows like that, Law & Order and House getting Emmys while BSG gets snubbed.

If you think Boston Legal falls into the same category as Law & Order or House, you've never watched the show. :blink:

The Spirit
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Batman and the story is Mask of The Phantasm.

NickGuy
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
there was a WEB OF SPIDERMAN issue I had when I was a kid that was my absolute favorite....spidey was being held with his arms behind his back in some kind of trippy shackles while some bad guy was beating him up and mary jane was reminiscing about their relationship or something....then spidey busts free and beats up the bad guy.

I remember the art being awesome to me as a kid, so im kind of scared to see it now and have it ruined.

but now my fave character is batman....what made him my favorite was norm breyfogles run, i remember one issue jim gordon had a heart attack and in another batman shoved a gun in a punks mouth to get some answers.

Eugene Selassie
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
If you think Boston Legal falls into the same category as Law & Order or House, you've never watched the show. :blink:

I have. Its good. Just not deserving of as many Emmy nods.

Biofungus
12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Hulk, and I'm still waiting for a writer who can truly capture the dichotomy of Bruce Banner/Hulk. There have been quite a few entertaining stories, but no truly great ones (not that I've read, anyway). Hulk is just a character I can empathize with (shut up), that's why I like him.

ronin7
12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I also have to say Busiek/Chen Iron Man who in 2 years fixed the previous 10 years of problems.

Waid/Garney Cap. I love Bru's stuff, but Waid/Garney were the ORIGINATORS of the modern "Cap as Tom Clancy Novel" type stories.

New Teen Titans: See above.

Doom Patrol v2 #19: My first Grant Morrison experience. It was fun and trippy.

Harbinger: Before Heroes, Runaways, Rising Stars or any version of that type of non costumed super hero stories...Harbinger was the originator. I still say Valiant comics produced THE BEST COMICS OF THE 90s.

Busiek/Perez Avengers: They took a train that was off the rails and made it one of Marvel's top sellers...oh and some people might want to check the sales numbers...this book sold AS WELL AS NEW AVENGERS. The only reason it didnt for their whole run was because of a huge sales dip once Perez took a three issue break.

Simonson and Jurgens/Romita Jr Thor: This was Marvel level big cosmic with action that could rival Conan the Barbarian.

Actually the Busiek/Perez run dipped pretty fast after the first issue dropping nearly 30,000 orders. NEW AVENGERS has maintained it's large orders and has not fallen below 100,000.

Nitecrawlah2
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Hulk, and I'm still waiting for a writer who can truly capture the dichotomy of Bruce Banner/Hulk. There have been quite a few entertaining stories, but no truly great ones (not that I've read, anyway). Hulk is just a character I can empathize with (shut up), that's why I like him.
Peter David was always just barely there when it came to those kinds of stories. While I like his stories, I enjoyed Bruce Jones' run where Bruce had to deal with the very serious and dangerous consequences of being The Hulk.

The DarkMind
12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Hulk is just a character I can empathize with (shut up), that's why I like him.

You both smell like cheese? :huh:

........ cause i heard the hulk smells like old cheese.

Aidy
12-24-2008, 08:28 AM

are you out of your mind?
Boston Legal and House are two of the best non sci-fi, non-cops drama's you've exported in years. Even if House is CSI in a Hospital.

Dont be dissing The Shat and Huge Laurie....

Lovecraft13
12-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Jesus. The Bible.

Eugene Selassie
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
If you've seen one episode of House, you've seen them all.

Same shit every episode.

I've tried...after first two seasons, I gave up.

Rob Norton
12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Jesus. The Bible.

yeah. he is an interesting character in an interesting story. not my favorite tho.

quantum1019
01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
At various times in my life I might have said Spider-Man or Captain America or Superman or Cyclops or even Death from the Sandman series, but if I have to pick one overall favorite character it would have to be....

Batman

Why? Because he's been written and drawn by more great talent than probably any other character in comics history and has been portrayed in so many different styles, that there is a Batman era for every mood or taste. I can find equal enjoyment in the early Bob Kane/Bill Finger/Jerry Robinson stories, or the somewhat goofy Dick Sprang years, or those classics from the 70s by Adams and O'Neil or Rogers and Englehart, or the 80s Batman by Aparo and Breyfogle, or Frank Miller's Dark Knight or Year One.

ponyrl
01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah. he is an interesting character in an interesting story. not my favorite tho.
lousy on continuity though.

Eugene Selassie
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah...

X-O Manowar and Ninjak.

Loved these friggin' characters.

I miss Valiant.
:cry:

Aidy
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Magento.
Every issue he has been in has been better because he's been in it.

Eugene Selassie
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Magento.
Every issue he has been in has been better because he's been in it.

I would like him...if he wasn't a bigger flip flopper than John Kerry.

My fav villain has always been the Mandarin...

That was up until his recent appearance in Iron Man Director of SHIELD.
He was speaking with street slang and his newfound motivation made him out to be a watered down Ra's Al Ghul.

Aidy
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I would like him...if he wasn't a bigger flip flopper than John Kerry.

My fav villain has always been the Mandarin...

That was up until his recent appearance in Iron Man Director of SHIELD.
He was speaking with street slang and his newfound motivation made him out to be a watered down Ra's Al Ghul.

Flip flop? Maybe he's more than a one dimensional villian and within his character lies shades of grey. Unlike your Madarin.

Eugene Selassie
01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Flip flop? Maybe he's more than a one dimensional villian and within his character lies shades of grey. Unlike your Madarin.

No...Just because you change your ideology every other week doesn't mean you're 3 dimensional.

It means you're a flip flopper with no range.

:p

WSSmith
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
HULK - Incredible HULK #1 - where Banner saves Rick Jones from the Gamma Bomb, and the great visual Kirby gave us of Bruce being bombarded by Gamma Rays!

Eugene Selassie
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
HULK - Incredible HULK #1 - where Banner saves Rick Jones from the Gamma Bomb, and the great visual Kirby gave us of Bruce being bombarded by Gamma Rays!

Still a classic bro.

If we're going old school, I'd also have to put The Thing on my list.

FF #51, This Man, This Monster.

Aidy
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
No...Just because you change your ideology every other week doesn't mean you're 3 dimensional.

It means you're a flip flopper with no range.

:p

Yeah...but he doesnt. He's pretty much always believed in Mutant Mastery over humanity...except for the odd knock on the head or getting younger he's always been the same since Clairmont gave him vision and drive.

Flip flop this.... :p

Mike225
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Ron Jeremy in Terms of Endowment.

Eugene Selassie
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Ron Jeremy in Terms of Endowment.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:carrot:

Eugene Selassie
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Negative Man.

I love the character and have yet to read a truly awful version.

I even enjoyed Byrne's take.