Lovecraft13
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh snap!

Biofungus
12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
32 dollars?!!!

Mike225
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
32 dollars?!!!Don't be a pussy! A dollar a page is a steal!

Eugene Selassie
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I like Icon...but the costume needs slight tweaking.

ronin7
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't get where Didio thinks people are going to shell out that kind of money for a 32 page comic. I would be shocked if there isn't a significant sales drop.

Ian Ascher
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Im gonna bet $32 is a typo. It'll be a $2.99 book.

As for the Milestone Characters..... meh.... I could care less. McDuffy and Didio are turning the Justice League book into a mess. Allowing McDuffy to throw his own creations in there isnt going to help sales or the add real intrest to the title.

Meltzer's run was solid gold compared to the last 14 issues or so.

The Milestone characters should be added to the DCU the same way the old Archie characters will be added.... through a second tier book a'la Brave and the Bold.

Maybe someday someone will come along and rescue my beloved JLA from the clutches of BLAHdom....

Project: J-ko
12-08-2008, 02:13 AM
I hope this means Static is finally gonna show up in Teen Titans.

Paul Sanderson
12-08-2008, 03:54 AM
JLA hasn't been good since Morrison and Waid were writing it.

Mwynn
12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I hope this means Static is finally gonna show up in Teen Titans.
His first apperance will be in Terror Titans. From there he will join the Teen Titans.

Mwynn
12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Im gonna bet $32 is a typo. It'll be a $2.99 book.

As for the Milestone Characters..... meh.... I could care less. McDuffy and Didio are turning the Justice League book into a mess. Allowing McDuffy to throw his own creations in there isnt going to help sales or the add real intrest to the title.

Meltzer's run was solid gold compared to the last 14 issues or so.

The Milestone characters should be added to the DCU the same way the old Archie characters will be added.... through a second tier book a'la Brave and the Bold.

Maybe someday someone will come along and rescue my beloved JLA from the clutches of BLAHdom....

I am liking the preview pages. He got Dr. Light down perfectly.

ronin7
12-08-2008, 12:09 PM
JLA hasn't been good since Morrison and Waid were writing it.

That's harsh. I at least thought Joe Kelly's run was good and so was the short run that Claremont and Byrne did. I wonder what Mark Millar would do with the JLA.

Eugene Selassie
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Ian Ascher]
QUOTE]

We normally ALWAYS agree Ian, but here, I completely disagree.

The Archie characters are doomed to fail for the same reason that Firestorm, Blue Beetle, All New Atom, Manhunter, Shadowpact and Checkmate cancelled...

They should have appeared in JLA or another top selling ONGOING SERIES (Superman, Batman, GL) FIRST before giving them a series.

They did it backwards with Firestorm...it was too little too late. Meltzer should've used him from the outset.

Paul Sanderson
12-08-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm talking about permanent creative teams rather than fill-in teams, ronin. Claremont/Byrne was okay, but I didn't think much of Joe Kelly's poor run. For me, the last good, solid run on the book was Waid's and Morrison prior to him.

fletch137
12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
They should have appeared in JLA or another top selling ONGOING SERIES (Superman, Batman, GL) FIRST before giving them a series.

Yeah, like Byrne's Doom Patrol remix...oh, wait...

Actually, I'm just joshing you. I agree that new characters should be introduced in successful titles too before spinning off into their own. The struggle, though, is to make sure that it's a JLA story (in this case) and not a Shadow Cabinet story.

Fans are buying this to read the JLA, not to read a mis-titled Milestone book. The "...guest starting the JLA" Doom Patrol arc I mentioned above failed at that.

Ian Ascher
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Putting the Milestone characters in the JLA first isn't going to save them if they're given their own book.

I don't think putting Firestorm in the JLA would have helped either. (Or Blue Beetle or the Atom or any of the others that have been canceled recently).The market is just too small to support books like these in the current state of the economy. Sadly, The Archie/Red Band characters won't do well outside Brave and the Bold either. It's just how it will be.

It also doesn't help when the JLA is DC's top selling regular monthly title and it comes in at number 12 on the list of Diamond's Top 50. The only other DC book to ever rank higher in any given month is Batman. (GL never breaks the Top Ten which is a travisty on it's own)

I think Didio is doing what he can to try and make the DC books appeal to as wide an audiance as possible and I applaude it. But, in my opinion, McDuffy was a poor choice for the JLA. Just because he did wonders with the cartoon doesn't mean he can translate the same magic to the book that inspired it. The two are vastly different. (I felt the same way after reading Dini on Detective Comics for a year. It just didn't work for me).

It doesn't help editorial keeps putting it's two cents in every time there's a large event either and I didn't see the JLA lead in's increase sales on books like Salvation Run or Superman's Reign.

Right now, the JLA is a flat book and my original point is the Milestone characters are a waste of time for someone like myself who is having trouble finding the good in a title he used to love so much.

Deadfish07
12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree with Ian. I buy JLA out of habit, but it's usually the last comic I read for the week (aka, the toilet read). It's not bad, but on the other hand, it's not that interesting either.

For a rather large roster, they seem to focus on Vixen too much. She lost her powers, she has new powers, those powers aren't hers, she's buried under rubble, she has to get her old powers back... enough already. I get that Vixen isn't in any other DC comics, like mostly everyone on the team (besides a recent mini-series), but that doesn't mean you have to give her extra time.

And when it's not about Vixen, it's Red Tornado and his wife. Why doesn't Superman spend a quarter of an issue talking and dealing with Lois? Because he has 9 other titles to do it in?

Let's face it, there's a reason why Vixen and Red Tornado were rarely used before. No one really cared. Even in the cartoon, Vixen's only purpose was to be the other woman in the John Stewart/Hawkgirl relationship. (And anyone reading this JLA because of their cartoon counterparts will be disappointed) JLA is about the team, so if you aren't going to show what's in Batman's lunchbox, don't go into detail about what's in Vixen's lunchbox.

Eugene Selassie
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree with Ian. I buy JLA out of habit, but it's usually the last comic I read for the week (aka, the toilet read). It's not bad, but on the other hand, it's not that interesting either.

For a rather large roster, they seem to focus on Vixen too much. She lost her powers, she has new powers, those powers aren't hers, she's buried under rubble, she has to get her old powers back... enough already. I get that Vixen isn't in any other DC comics, like mostly everyone on the team (besides a recent mini-series), but that doesn't mean you have to give her extra time.

And when it's not about Vixen, it's Red Tornado and his wife. Why doesn't Superman spend a quarter of an issue talking and dealing with Lois? Because he has 9 other titles to do it in?

Let's face it, there's a reason why Vixen and Red Tornado were rarely used before. No one really cared. Even in the cartoon, Vixen's only purpose was to be the other woman in the John Stewart/Hawkgirl relationship. (And anyone reading this JLA because of their cartoon counterparts will be disappointed) JLA is about the team, so if you aren't going to show what's in Batman's lunchbox, don't go into detail about what's in Vixen's lunchbox.

And therein lies the problem with most DC fans in general.

Just like Marvel fans won't give anything outside of X or Spider anything a chance, DC fans won't give anything outside of Superman, Batman or JLA a chance...EVEN THOUGH OVER HALF THE BOOKS THAT ARE BEING CANCELLED THIS YEAR ARE MORE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AND HAVE HIGHER QUALITY WRITING AND ART IN THEM.

Mwynn
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
This issue is really good. I like the way Black Canary is not allowing the Trinity to make all the choices for the team.

Paul Sanderson
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
The JLA, at least when times are tough as they are now, needs to focus on the core group of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter. Get a top writer and artist on the book and watch the series soar. When the economy etc. gets better, then they can perhaps start experimenting with a more unique or expanded membership. Now is not the time for that, though, and McDuffie is not the writer for this series.

Ian Ascher
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Just like Marvel fans won't give anything outside of X or Spider anything a chance, DC fans won't give anything outside of Superman, Batman or JLA a chance...EVEN THOUGH OVER HALF THE BOOKS THAT ARE BEING CANCELLED THIS YEAR ARE MORE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AND HAVE HIGHER QUALITY WRITING AND ART IN THEM.

I don't think that's true.

I buy more DC than Marvel in any given month. Always have... Always will...

I'm always trying new books from DC. I stuck w/ Blue Beetle for 25 issues and decided it just wasn't where I hoped it would go. I read Firestorm for the first 14 issues and couldn't relate with the character. Checkmate for the first 12 issues. All of these are good books but they just didn't grab ahold of me and I stopped them for newer and better books.

I stop bigger books as well. With recent changes in creative teams I'll be dropping Superman, Action Comics, JSA, and maybe even Batman in the next few months.

As for new books: Batman and the Outsiders got off to a very bad start and I dropped it but I'll be giving it a second try with the new direction in issue #15. Ive added R.E.B.E.L.S. to my pull list as well. Sadly, I arrived too late on Manhunter and while I don't think my one book a month was the difference, Im sad to see it go.

Right now I buy JLA out of habit because I grew up on JLA They have been a part of my comic book enjoyment in one form or another for the better part of 30 years. Ive seen the book at it's best and its worst. That's why I stick with it.

Paul Sanderson
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
JLA will get better again some day. It's the nature of things.

Deadfish07
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm not saying people should stick their noses up at Blue Beetle or Manhunter comics in the spinner rack.

I just don't want to see solo Vixen stories in a JLA team comic. Her power problems have been a focus of the most of the 27 issues. Though, it finally looks to be over. McDuffie didn't do her any favors by having Animal Man show off his ability to tap into animals from other planets, while she uses a flea and eagle. She's not really interesting, has nothing to do with how many books Batman is in.

Anybody know where JLA is in the DC timeline. It's obviously before RIP, but how far ahead of Final Crisis is it? Dr. Light (the bad one) died in a FC tie-in, but his death seems common knowledge to a technical rookie.

ponyrl
12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't give a shit about any of that.
I MISSED MILESTONE!

Loved reading them again. Made me smile at the end. :)

(Of course I'm a casual reader now).

yellowphantom
12-10-2008, 09:03 PM
...it would be great to see DC get some of Marvels talent into their bullpen (besides Bagley on trinity...is anyone even reading that new DC weekly?...does it tie in with current DC continuity?)
...i would personally like to see Brubaker on Batman and the new milestone book The Shield..

...and i know i'll get alot of flak for this one but...Bendis on JLA....it couldn't be any worse than it has been up until now...

fletch137
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
...(besides Bagley on trinity...is anyone even reading that new DC weekly?...does it tie in with current DC continuity?)

I am and no it doesn't. Busiek said that, by the end, you'd see where the story fell in with the Final Crisis story and such, but I think the story itself is isolated from external events.

Well, that's not 100% true. The story itself is really a continuation of Busiek's other Justice League stories such as his JLA/Avengers and his story arc towards the end of the last JLA series. I've had the pleasure of reading the first one so was kind of excited to see elements of that continue in Trinity, but I'd no idea what happened in his Crime Syndicate story in JLA so was completely lost when elements from that started popping up.

...and i know i'll get alot of flak for this one but...Bendis on JLA....it couldn't be any worse than it has been up until now...

Then let me be the first to flak you. Please no Bendis on the JLA. His feet-of-clay approach might work for Spiderman...and maaaybe the Avengers, it would certainly be misused on the Justice League.

Moonrider
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
What? Bendis on JLA would be cool. We'll get a schizophrenic Superman, a street talking John Stewart, naked girls, a wise ass Batman, witty banters with Roy and Wally, naked girls...

Paul Sanderson
12-15-2008, 04:33 AM
And maybe naked girls...you think? ;)

Eugene Selassie
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Damn right you'll get flak.

I read Avengers, good and bad for 20 years up til then
I've tried 6 more times and don't dig how he writes Avengers.

Now you want me to not read JLA for 5 years as well?

Mwynn
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone actually read this book?

Biofungus
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
At 32 bucks a pop, I doubt it... :p

Lovecraft13
12-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Icon is my father!

ponyrl
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
The hell you talking about Bio, the book was the average price for a JLA comic. :blink:

I read it, loved it. will keep on as long as MS characters are around. :thumbs:

(don't pay bio anymind, he's on the wacky-juice) :slap:

Ian Ascher
01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
So I read part two last night....

No one in the JLA aside from Superman knew who these guys were but Red Arrow knows they're from Dakota???? How does that work? Did he evermeet these characters before?

One big fight issue which did nothing but show off the Milestone Character's powers and then at the end we have Hawkman warning everyone Shadow Theif is trying to take over the world. So, what does next issue feature????? That's right... STAR BREAKER.

:blink:

I really don't know how much more of this I can take from McDuffie on JLA. He's doing nothing to make his own characters interesting I really don't care who any of them are and we're two issues in. Their mission seems like a cool one too but it's all so secondary to making sure these Milestone characters are thrust upon us it all seems pointless.

All right... Im off my rant box. I know Ive become a broken record.

Moonrider
01-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I liked the edgy factor of Milestone characters. Do they work well in a DCU setting? Hmm...doubt it. I've seen Hardware slicing thugs left and right, don't know what Superman would think about that.

the_beast
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm Looking Forward To This.

I Was A Big Milestone Fan

the_beast
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Icon is my father!

You Are The Mighty Iconscion