PDA

View Full Version : Prisma Color VS Copic (MARKERS)

mrlabrad
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I was wondering if anybody on this forum uses markers for their artwork. If so, has anybody used any Japanese COPIC markers? And how do they compare to PRISMA Color Markers?

I've only seen the COPIC markers at Comic Conventions and Japanese specialty stores. And I know that they can be very expensive.

Other than that, does anybody have any opinion. I just want a comparison between the markers. If I hear good review, I might save up to buy the markers.

Let me know. Thanks.

Newt
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't use markers, but just thought I'd offer a tip: online retailers like Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/zz221/10/) and Utrecht (http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_products.cfm?classID=1517&subclassID=151710&) have Copics, probably cheaper than what you'd pay in a store.

OZ!
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I just started using markers(about a year ago) and after getting to play with copics and seing how much they will save me in the long run, I am now making the transition over to copics.

Renae De Liz
03-21-2009, 02:55 AM
I use markers for ALL of my commissions, and I do love Copics the most, but I get the cheaper prismas sometimes. So far I really haven't noticed too much difference. However I love the brush tip the Copics have, as well as the refills, which help with the ridiculous cost over time.

Here's a site where they're only 3.95 a Copic. LINK (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php?)

Also, you'll see some marker on there called Triarts, and they look almost exactly like copics, and are only 2.49 a pen on that site. I have not tried them yet, though I know some artists that swear by them.

Hope that helps a bit!

Biofungus
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I actually got some Triarts (as well as the new Pantone markers from Dick Blick's site). The triarts aren't bad so far (I admit, I didn't get the right colors. I can only use them for certain types of pics). The biggest problem is that they're long.they have three sections. A brush, broad, and a fine/bullet tip. Only thing is, each section is like a third of the marker, so unless you're using the broad tip, the marker itself is easily a couple of inches longer than a copic or any other marker. This makes it a tad unwieldy.

The pantone markers have a brush tip and a bullet tip. The ink lays down very nicely. The biggest problem is the shape of the barrel. It's rectangular, so you have to be very specific about how you hold it to work comfortably with it. The brush end is also thicker than the bullet end (it tapers off a bit), so again, you have to hold it very deliberately.

I also got some Neopiko Deleter markers. The colors blend beautifully with these (probably even better than the copics, depending upon the shade). The brush tip is a lot softer, has more give. So I find I'm using the brush tip more for artistic strokes, and the broad end for more 'normal' usage (in other markers, I tend to use the brush tips for most of my coloring). I like the size and feel of the markers, but the biggest problem is how they store them. There are no holders/trays of any kind. They are just put into a plastic textured container arranged in 'honeycomb' pattern rows (so if you pull one out, you're liable to have all the rows above it come crashing down). Makes for inconvenience if you're trying to color something and blend and whatnot since you have to actually mind the marker holder.

For the record, I always prefer to store my markers on their sides, this way the ink flows evenly (more or less) to both ends, and I can switch/use either tip as need be.

Btw, those Triart markers are refillable, and made to be direct competitors to the copics (as opposed to the DickBlick markers which are targeting prismacolors). I'd say you get the same value from them as you do Copics (1 marker + 1 refill = cost of 2 markers, but you get about 9 markers worth out of them), only they are a little cheaper (about 6 dollar layout as opposed to 8-10). Only thing is, the tips do wear down, so you'll have to take that potential cost into account as well.

JOHN&CODES
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
i started using both about a year and a hlf ago, copic has this stronger feel to it, and prismas have a great feel too, i like to use em in my animated/toon style stuff. i hate how they run out of fluid too fast, copics are up there in price, but the refils are great and will make up for the price in the long run

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I have both Copics and Prismas.... Copics are really the ones to go with, financially speaking, the refills make them so much more affordable. That said, Prismas have some colors that I really like to use, and the fine tip comes in handy sometimes...... But I'm a Copic fan now. A little more difficult to get up here in Canada, so far I have only found them at Curry's.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Here's a site where they're only 3.95 a Copic. LINK (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php?)

Hope that helps a bit!

I checked out the link, Nae, it went to the index....?

MrGranger
09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Anyone know a good source for Copic Marker refills?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Oozak is great. It's where I get mine...

http://www.oozak.com/products.php?cat=28

Biofungus
09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
www.carpediemstore.com isn't too bad either (and depending upon how serious your location listing is there, MrGranger, they are in the area, you'd get 'em within a day).

Flairbrusher
09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the Oozak link- I definitely needed a good supplier for those refills!

MrGranger
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM
www.carpediemstore.com isn't too bad either (and depending upon how serious your location listing is there, MrGranger, they are in the area, you'd get 'em within a day).

I'm VERY serious, I've been in LA LA Land since 2000. Thanks for the tip. I love saving shipping.

Renae De Liz
11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I checked out the link, Nae, it went to the index....?

Oops! Sorry, it was supposed to go to that Carpidiem site that Bio listed. Sorry it took me 6 months to say that, LOL!!

I still like Hobby Lobby for my copics, especially with their 40% off coupons, but they have a more limited selection.

MrGranger
11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Oops! Sorry, it was supposed to go to that Carpidiem site that Bio listed. Sorry it took me 6 months to say that, LOL!!

I still like Hobby Lobby for my copics, especially with their 40% off coupons, but they have a more limited selection.

Better late than never. Strange enough, I just found this as I need some more Flesh colors.