PDA

View Full Version : Comics you regret buying

dmh_3000
11-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Is there any particular comic issue, trade paperback or graphic novel that you have on your shelf and think "God, what the hell was I thinking?" or "How in the hell did they let that piece of crap hit the stands?"

My first one I would have to say "Amazing Spiderman vol. 2", containing issues #36-39 and Tangled Web 4 and 5. While I enjoyed the story of Rhino learning to appreciate the simpler things in life, I just have to say that J. Michael Straczynski's parts were absolutely boring. I don't own any of the other collections and don't want to after that. Might get the Tangled Web one though.

As for the second? "Hush Returns". My thoughts on this were that A.J. Lieberman was building up a big story arc for the return of Hush, but then got shot down when War Games happened and was forced to wrap it all up quickly. But I got a major "What the hell?" feeling at the end. It felt like a 'to be continued' until the final issue in the book. If there was a real epilogue instead of Gotham Knights #66 or volume two, I think it would have been good. But the build up was just too great for such an unsatisfying ending.

But yeah, let's throw it over to you guys. What do you own that you wish you didn't?

pi0trov
11-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Nothing specific, but I unfortunately started really "collecting" comics in the early '90s, and most of the books I bought then (and thought were awesome at the time, because I was a teenager with no taste) were utter garbage.

I actually dumped a bunch of Image and Marvel stuff from this period the last time I moved - a couple of friends each got a couple of long boxes of stuff I didn't want to find room for. No point in hanging on to crap you don't want to read anymore, if it's just taking up space....

JamieRoberts
11-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Transformers UK #4.

It's responsible for my whole life direction and subsequent lack of interest in anything else.

dmh_3000
11-29-2008, 08:24 AM
No point in hanging on to crap you don't want to read anymore, if it's just taking up space....

I don't know why, but I can't do that unless it's something I haven't seen in years. I had this old series of books called Graveyard School that I thought were crap (My dad got a set of 16 for really cheap, no wonder) and yet I had absolutely no urge to get rid of them until last year. Even now I regret it sometimes for some reason.

But yeah, still got my Goosebumps books.

knockedoutpanzer
11-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Brigade, er some of the 90's comics were not so good. :rolleyes:

JamieRoberts
11-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I got a few stacks out, ready to sell recently. My Powers collection, Shockrockets, Wildcats, The Authority... then I started to read them.

Can't sell 'em now.

It sucks that I'm in Peter's position regarding when I started collecting, but I just can't get rid. I'm a horder, and it kills me!

Deadfish07
11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I regretted buying Jason vs. Leatherface on Ebay for over $30. It was three issues of crap.

captainarian
11-29-2008, 11:46 AM
marvel comics from late 90s, mostly 97, they suck!

Buckyrig
11-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Regret? Can't really think of any. If anything, I regret holding out for a few series to get better for a couple (or twenty) issues too long. :laugh:

But if I ever buy something to sample it and I don't like it, well I had to read it to find out, didn't I? Nah...no problems there.

dmh_3000
11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I got a few stacks out, ready to sell recently. My Powers collection, Shockrockets, Wildcats, The Authority... then I started to read them.

Can't sell 'em now.

It sucks that I'm in Peter's position regarding when I started collecting, but I just can't get rid. I'm a horder, and it kills me!

I'm the same, but I like to think of myself as more of a collector. I find TPB I like and I have to get the rest of them (Right now my mains are Batman, Fables and Brubaker's run on Captain America). It's like a compulsion.

How many of those like us are out there?

JamieRoberts
11-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm the same, but I like to think of myself as more of a collector. I find TPB I like and I have to get the rest of them (Right now my mains are Batman, Fables and Brubaker's run on Captain America). It's like a compulsion.

How many of those like us are out there?
I'd be fine with that, but I'm certainly not a collector. I don't have the intention or the will to keep up with the maintenance. I'm probably just loathe to part with something I once owned that I couldn't get back all that easily.

pi0trov
11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't know why, but I can't do that unless it's something I haven't seen in years. I had this old series of books called Graveyard School that I thought were crap (My dad got a set of 16 for really cheap, no wonder) and yet I had absolutely no urge to get rid of them until last year. Even now I regret it sometimes for some reason.

But yeah, still got my Goosebumps books.
Oh, I understand. My wife and I still have way more comics and books than we should, even after getting rid of a ton. Only recently did we purge a bunch of books (novels) from our collection, mainly cuz we'd ran out of room on our bookcases... So a big box of books went to the library - we still couldn't just throw the things out, but atleast they went somewhere useful.

Can't sell 'em now.
See, those are all good comics. I certainly wouldn't fault you for hanging on to them (man, I totally forgot about Shockrockets...). I'd say if they're worth re-reading, than they're worth keeping.

yellowphantom
11-29-2008, 10:57 PM
...the only one i regret is Fun Home by alison bechdel...
it received excellent reviews...but was far too dry and boring for my taste...

dmh_3000
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
...the only one i regret is Fun Home by alison bechdel...
it received excellent reviews...but was far too dry and boring for my taste...
I try to avoid reviews, because then I'll have either bad expectations of a good book or vice versa. I will take recommendations though.

Wayne Drake
12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
regret buying the new Supergirl intro arc in Superman/Batman, i ebay'd those thaknfully ^_^

Also all my Identity Crisis issues. ech..

Mark Bertolini
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Brigade, er some of the 90's comics were not so good. :rolleyes:

God, I regret buying a lot of early 90s Image crap. If I had that money now....I'd buy some early 2000s Image crap.

cbgiles
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM

Can't sell 'em now.

That's cause Shockrockets rules!! :banana:

cbgiles
12-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Lots of '90s junk but I wish I'd sold all my X-Files back when they were going for top $...but they still read well.

hellblazer72
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
the first few issues of ultimates vol.3, the x-23 miniseries, the new squadron supreme and bendis' run on daredevil

Imboden
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
The first couple issues of "Final Crisis" (WTF is going on?)

Aidy
12-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Spawn V's Batman.
Countdown
Trinity

quantum1019
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
My personal horror story:

As a kid, I was a huge fan of John Byrne. I loved FF, Superman, Namor, and whatever else he was doing at any given time. I was not a regular reader of the New Mutants, but I stumbled across an issue and it was drawn by Byrne. Being young and stupid and not knowing it was a fill-in issue, I assumed I had found yet another Byrne series. It was getting close to christmas time and my mother asked me to make a list of some comics and she would pick one or two and get me a subscription. Thinking it was a regular Byrne book, I put The New Mutants on the list, and that turned out to be the one she picked. So..I could now look forward to getting an issue of the New Mutants delivered right to my door every month..................just in time for Liefeld's run to start! Aaargh!

Khuth
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Tiajuana Bible, I was looking forward to wholesome clean, family fun

Spacious Interior
12-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Thunderstrike and Superpro... yeah, I said it. SUPERPRO.

hardinart
12-04-2008, 01:27 AM
My personal horror story:

As a kid, I was a huge fan of John Byrne. I loved FF, Superman, Namor, and whatever else he was doing at any given time. I was not a regular reader of the New Mutants, but I stumbled across an issue and it was drawn by Byrne. Being young and stupid and not knowing it was a fill-in issue, I assumed I had found yet another Byrne series. It was getting close to christmas time and my mother asked me to make a list of some comics and she would pick one or two and get me a subscription. Thinking it was a regular Byrne book, I put The New Mutants on the list, and that turned out to be the one she picked. So..I could now look forward to getting an issue of the New Mutants delivered right to my door every month..................just in time for Liefeld's run to start! Aaargh!

That is so funny, because of all the crap Liefeld pulled that is the thing that I hate him for the most. New Mutants was far and away my favorite book growing up and I hate Liefled for wrecking it.

Biofungus
12-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Thunderstrike and Superpro... yeah, I said it. SUPERPRO.
I have a ton of the New Universe stuff. Only thing is, I didn't buy it. My friend gave me all the NU stuff he had, so I didn't have to pay for any of it :p (but yeah, if I had bought them, I'd probably put Superpro and Justice on that pile).

Then again, I'm the guy who bought the entire 4 issue mini series of "Brute Force", so I probably wouldn't regret any of the comics I bought :p