PDA

View Full Version : Beginning With A Tablet

BKMDog
11-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I know as much about using a drawing tablet with a computer as I know about rocket science - In other words; nuthin'! I'm thinking about getting one and I'd like to hear from DWer's who use 'em, about any and all recommendations: Brand, dimensions, how much ram needed, processing speed, etc. - anything anyone thinks might be important. Right now, my computer is a 2.2 with a gig of ram. Just off the top of my head, I'm wondering if this is enough to provide good performance in apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and Painter? - Thanks, all.

L Jamal
11-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I suggest starting with a cheap model like the Wacom Bamboo before slapping down dough on a more expensive model. I use the Bamboo and am very happy with my results. I have a Pentium 450 with less than a GB of RAM running Windows 2000, PS7, and Illustrator 9.

raya
11-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, either get the Wacom Bamboo or the Intuos (if you want to spend more money). Don't get the Graphire, I've had 2 and the wires eventually got worn and tore. I only found out when both stopped working. :( The Bamboo is cheaper then the Graphire, but for some reason it's made better (unless you want to get the Bluetooth Graphire, which might be almost as expensive as the Intuos).

The Cintiq monitor is the best probably, but costs at least $900 for the smallest one, and it has low resolution compared to the 21".

L Jamal
11-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Graphires are no longer supported by Wacom.
The Bamboo is the same as the Graphire (even uses the same pens).

raya
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Graphires are no longer supported by Wacom.
The Bamboo is the same as the Graphire (even uses the same pens).

The Graphire Wireless is still supported by Wacom:

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/

Just as well, the wires on the old Graphires were so flimsy, those were the ones that tore on my 2 Graphires.

They also sell the old Graphires and Bamboos on Ebay.

L Jamal
11-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Graphire Wireless... really. for $250, you'd be better off with the small Intous3

raya
11-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Graphire Wireless... really. for $250, you'd be better off with the small Intous3

I still have my old Digitizer, which works great on the Intel iMac, I just don't like the pen as much as the Bamboo pen, the drawback is the Bamboo is small. :( Of course, the Digitizer was made in Japan verses the newer ones made in China, so that probably explains the quality.

BKMDog
11-30-2008, 08:52 AM
bump.

BobRivard
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
If you're just going to be fiddling around a bit and sort of painting/coloring as more of a hobby, I'd definitely take jamal's advice and go with the Bamboo. They're good tablets, but easy on the wallet.

On the other hand, if you plan on doing a lot of (detailed) work and can afford it, get yourself an intuos (a 6x9 or a 9x12, I think are some of the sizes). The bamboo's are nice, but they're a little on the small side and aren't quite as nice to work with as a larger tablet. I've used both and there is a definite difference.

Of course, if you have $2000 laying around, get a cintiq. Whatever you do, make sure you go with wacom. There are cheaper brands out there, but you get what you pay for.

As far as your machine being able to handle the graphics programs. I don't think you'll have any issue running them, but you'll be restricted at higher resolutions and larger image sizes. Some custom brushes can chew up a decent amount of power too - more ram would help.

Just to give you some idea, I'm using a 3Ghz proc with 2 gigs of ram and Photoshop starts to choke when I'm painting with a large brush on a 600dpi 11x17 image. And Corel Painter's even harder on the system.

cbgiles
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
As far as tablets go. what's best to work with...small, medium or large?...and why?

raya
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
As far as tablets go. what's best to work with...small, medium or large?...and why?

I actually have a small and it seems okay. But I really liked the larger digitizer better, my table isn't really big enough though and I don't like the pen as much as the Bamboo one.

BKMDog
12-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Okay - I went with the Bamboo, the medium sized one, and got a pretty good deal on it at a local electronics chain store. Already earning it's keep, it's terrific for correcting sketches once I get 'em scanned in - Nice! - My editor often nit-picks over small details and the subsequent rescanning can be a real time-consumer. So right away, anybody got any basic settings on the tablet and / or favorite brush settings in Photoshop ( or any other program like Illustrator or Painter for example ) that they'd care to share? Basic functions like sketching, inking brush for doing comics or coloring comics would be really helpful. Thanks, all.

compton
12-26-2008, 02:13 AM
I've had my Intuos for a few years and love it but as far as painting goes I tend to just stumble around with it until I find what works. Depending on exactly how you want to use it there will be different ways you'll want to set things up