PDA

View Full Version : CGC grading....

maverick
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I have an Incredible Hulk #3...thinking of getting it CGC graded, but I first wanted to get some feedback from others who have used the service.

Who here has had a comic CGC graded?

How was your experience with it? Are you happy you did it?

Did you have it done at a con, or mail it away? (I'm a bit apprehensive about mailing it away.)

How do they determine the fee for grading?

Anything else I should know?

Phatman
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Anything else I should know?

You're a dork. :banana: :carrot: :banana: :carrot:

maverick
11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Well now I'm really interested in hearing feedback, because I posed the same question to a couple other forums and the consensus seems to be it's not worth it.

Phatman
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Well now I'm really interested in hearing feedback, because I posed the same question to a couple other forums and the consensus seems to be it's not worth it.

I agree with the consensus---it's a waste.

justchad
11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I had a mint copy of Amazing Spider-Man #300 graded at a show. And it was a REALLY confusing, overpriced experience.

I love buying CGC books, but I'll never go through the grading process again. It was a rip-off.

If you're going to do it, you're better off mailing it in. I did mine last year at Mid-Ohio Con, and I found out AFTER I got there that they didn't have any graders on-hand, so they had to take it and mail it back...SIX WEEKS later.

I'm with you on the mailing it in fear. Especially a book like yours.

maverick
11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
And it was a REALLY confusing, overpriced experience.

How do they determine what they charge you to grade it?

eDuke
11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
By value. When you mail the book, you have to insurance it unless you get it graded at a show. I used to send them tons of books for grading and never had any problems with them. But then again, it could be because Digital Webbing is a CGC partner. You can go through our link on the front page to get a discount, I discount it at 100% so I make nothing and just pass the savings on to my visitors.

I know some people are paranoid about mailing stuff, that's why you need to insurance it. When you get it back, it's a comic encased in solid plastic and will be preserved in the same condition you got it CGC'ed in. The beauty behind CGC stuff is you can pass down these books to your family and they don't need to know shit about condition, all they have to do is slap it on eBay and sell it.

maverick
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Seems odd to me that they charge based on the value of the book. Couldn't they just grade it higher in order to charge you more? I'm really on the fence here as whether to do it or not.

justchad
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
If you're this paranoid about it, don't do it. I was paranoid when I left my comic with them at a con, and the fact I was overcharged a bit AND it took forever to get mailed back to me made it 100 times worse.

All in all, they are a great company and service. I bought a couple of slabbed DWPs from Ed that I worked on to pass down to my boys, and having a slabbed book is totally cool. Maybe test drive them with a lesser book and see what you think. Putting a Hulk #3 in the mail would drive me insane.