PDA

View Full Version : Are Web Comics The Future

topnotch
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Do you think web comics are the future? If so why? If not why?

HaphazardJoy
10-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I don't think so.

They're certainly an awesome arsenal addition for the artform (wholy alliteration [bad pun]), and I think the format will grow. However, I think, for the next decade at least, we'll see things stay roughly the same. Small comic shops will hopefully stick around while large shops in urban areas will probably continue business either way. I think the continuing popularity of graphic novels and the increased numbers of trade paper backs, combined with them being availible at most major book stores these days, will further cement the physical mediums as the dominant form.

Personally speaking, I love web comics, but for reading pleasure I prefer having it in my hands.

quantum1019
10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Webcomics are PART of the future, not the replacement for paper comics, but an addition to the ways comics can be done.

I agree that I like having the book in my hands, physically turning the pages, etc.

I think it might be fair to compare the situation to movies. It's easier than ever to watch movies from home either on DVDs, which you dont even have to go out and rent anymore thanks to netflix or even watching online with no physical disc needed, and yet thousands of people still go to movie theatres every day. Why? There's a different feeling, a different experience to going to the movies than there is to watching a film at home. I feel the same about comics on paper as opposed to comics on screen.

topnotch
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Would you pay to read or download web comics if they were DC, Marvel, Darkhorse, or Image quality?

WSSmith
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I believe that web comics HAVE A FUTURE. A similar market to many other products available online. More and more people work on and with the internet creating more traffic and more hits. The original comic because of its physical advantages will help web comics, and web comics will help print comics.

BJCochran
10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Would you pay to read or download web comics if they were DC, Marvel, Darkhorse, or Image quality?

No. Just because I would rather want the thrill of having the comic in my hands and maybe (This hasnt happened in a long time figuring not a lot of mainstream stuff grabs me like it used to), skip to a later page just to look at the art and get a hint at where the story is going.

Plus even if single issues are probably going to be leaned out and replaced by trades, there still is a thrill when you hold it in your hands and read it rather than online. Maybe I'm just taking too many drugs and rambling here.

So I dont think webcomics are the future. Maybe for more indie creators (Maybe even Image going all Web comics if titles like Walking Dead end up going down the tubes), but not Marvel, DC, or Dark Horse. At least, if they do go the web comic route, they will still continue to print the same stories.

Phatman
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
If the economy tanks completely, they may be the only comics left.

KidIntense
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
My opinion is web comics are the future, and it is better than print comics. Take Kid Intense for instants, he is a web comic superhero, and he is cool. I think web comic character should get their own movies someday.

dmh_3000
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I love webcomics. They're my main source of internet use. But I also love reading print comics. I just cannot stare at a computer screen for the hours it would take me to read some graphic novels in about forty minutes.

Both have their pros and cons though, but I still love both formats. As mentioned above, I hope both will continue to stay around for many more years to come.

Dirk Manning
10-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey all!

The topic here drew me out of my usual haunts... :laugh:

I've experienced A LOT of success via online comics by creating NIGHTMARE WORLD as an online comic. In fact, the key to success for "indie" creators these days is web-to-print (via print-on-demand).

Period. ;)

SINcerely,
Dirk Manning

zcotty
10-08-2008, 04:54 AM
I have to agree that webcomics is POSSIBLY the future. It's a great breaking in ground for indies. What better way to find out if you really like something than to follow it for free / cheap for a few months. Once the fanbase is set the collected trades can be POD.

j giar
10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
As an independent creator you'd be a fool not to use the internet as part of your arsenal. Mister Manning is one perfect example as well as some others that haunt this board. Using a web comic to get your product out in front of a large audience....and for pretty much free. Is it a replacement?..Not yet. Although possibly in the future. With a lot of fine tweaking to be done first.