PDA

View Full Version : Air

Nick Kerklaan
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Anyone else reading this? So far it's interesting, but not quite living up to the "Next Big Thing" hype that Vertigo is pumping it with. I'll give it a whole story arc before I judge it, but right now I'm on the fence.

Nick Kerklaan
09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I can tell from the overwhelming response to this thread that not a lot of people are reading this, so maybe I should post some information (http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=10015) about it or something so can people can tell if they want to check it out or not.

Included on that page is a link to a "sneak peak" of a select 8 pages from the first issue.

Nick Kerklaan
09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, I tried.

Clearly, if a new book doesn't involve Millar or Quesada in some way so that it can be complained about it, nobody gives a shit.

Eugene Selassie
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
No, I just can't afford new books right now.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Can I say it looks terribly interesting? I just followed the link and read a few pages..... :thumbs:

MARS
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Doesn't do much for me.

But then again- i'm not really feeling the whole Vertigo "we are So cutting edge thing" anymore.

Seems like a lot of Vertigo books loose steam anymore once they getout of the gate. Not sure what that's about.There's always been a strong editoral pressence there...so not sure that's it's a problem lying there.

Maybe everyone is just way too familar with that "so-called" ledge.

Seems like people just dig on capes and cowls anymore to notice.There's also an absence of star power there as well.Time to bring back the bigger guns.

My bits.

M.

Nick Kerklaan
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Can I say it looks terribly interesting? I just followed the link and read a few pages..... :thumbs:

Cool! :)

It's definitely worth checking out, I'm just not exactly sure where they're going with it as of right now.

Doesn't do much for me.

But then again- i'm not really feeling the whole Vertigo "we are So cutting edge thing" anymore.

I know what you mean about that, but really, Air seems to be the least in that vein compared to any other recent Vertigo series I can think of. It has a surreal, dreamlike quality to it that isn't completely apparent from the sample pages - you really have to just read the issues to see what I mean. But part of my initial attraction to it was that it didn't seem like it was trying too hard to be dark, gritty, and/or "edgey" like various other newer Vertigo titles that I've looked at.

Seems like a lot of Vertigo books loose steam anymore once they getout of the gate. Not sure what that's about.There's always been a strong editoral pressence there...so not sure that's it's a problem lying there.

Maybe everyone is just way too familar with that "so-called" ledge.

I wouldn't say it's lost steam yet, I just don't think the full thrust of the series will be apparent until at least the first story arc is complete.

Seems like people just dig on capes and cowls anymore to notice.There's also an absence of star power there as well.Time to bring back the bigger guns.

I'm a bit confused by this... are you saying that you don't want to read books by "non-star" creators? :huh:

Mark Bertolini
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, I tried.

Clearly, if a new book doesn't involve Millar or Quesada in some way so that it can be complained about it, nobody gives a shit.

Fuck yeah! I need my Joe Q fix or I won't read a thing.

And that, my friends, is sarcasm.

BJCochran
09-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I love Vertigo titles but mostly wait until the trades. So I might skim through this, because it does look interesting, until the trade comes out.

Nick Kerklaan
09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Fuck yeah! I need my Joe Q fix or I won't read a thing.

And that, my friends, is sarcasm.

Don't misundersand me, it's not like the complainers have usually actually read the book they're complaining about. But that doesn't stop any thread with the word "Millar" in the title from getting to 3+ pages in the first day.

But I'll stop ranting, I'm just glad people are commenting on this thread now.

love Vertigo titles but mostly wait until the trades. So I might skim through this, because it does look interesting, until the trade comes out.

You're probably making a good move on that front. Vertigo does tend to publish titles that read far better as trades than as staggered singles. So far this is looking like no exception.

Me, I need my monthly fix of titles I'm actively following now. If I end up liking it, I'll probably buy the trades too.

BJCochran
09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Don't misundersand me, it's not like the complainers have usually actually read the book they're complaining about. But that doesn't stop any thread with the word "Millar" in the title from getting to 3+ pages in the first day.

But I'll stop ranting, I'm just glad people are commenting on this thread now.

You're probably making a good move on that front. Vertigo does tend to publish titles that read far better as trades than as staggered singles. So far this is looking like no exception.

Me, I need my monthly fix of titles I'm actively following now. If I end up liking it, I'll probably buy the trades too.

Ditto with that. I found out the whole trade approach after reading both Fables and Y the Last Man.

MARS
09-25-2008, 12:08 PM
No Nick...what i'm saying is that in the midst of Skrull fever and a super duper Crisis no one can really get anything else into the mainstreams brains without using star creator talent to do so.

It's the nature of the beast. I'd love for Vertigo to start putting out books with some of the guys they have in their stables- from discussions with most comic creators I find that there's a lot of us who'd rather do those type of prorojects...but contracts and the bigger picture leads itself to the theory that the money is in capes and cowls.

So hopefully that makes alil bit more sense.

I mean what's the average Vertigo book sell in copies compared to something in the DCU. I think Vertigo was left on an island to fence for themselves- done a grat job to this point but it's starting to show with all of these cancelations now.

I mean what do they have---100 Bullets? That's almost done then what?

Keep cashing in on Sandman retreads? Minx line was a bust. Y the last man is over.Loveless tanked.Morrison was forced into the DCU to help make those books sing.

I remember having a convo with one editor over there about doing a vertigo-ish version of Supes over there- But instead they did it over in the DCU- and what Morrison and Quietly are doing would be wayyy more apeshit and fun in the DCU.

Can you imagine a Rags Morales,Tan,JG Jones over in Vertigo...I can... I can also see sales go up to.

Maybe they should change the mantra to Vertigo: Know the Ledge?

Just sayin. Great thread- I hope somebody over there is reading it.

M.

BJCochran
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Speaking of how Vertigo titles have a limited life..does anyone know if Fables was intended to have a definitive end like Sandman, Y, etc

Mark Bertolini
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I think there are a couple of new winners in the Vertigo stable right now. The Vinyl Underground is a fun, Morrison-style story, and I'm loving Brian Wood's Northlanders.

I tend to read most of Vertigo's stuff in trade format (with the exception of the above 2 titles). I agree they read better in one lump than in single doses.

MARS
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Speaking of how Vertigo titles have a limited life..does anyone know if Fables was intended to have a definitive end like Sandman, Y, etc

Fables isn't going anywhere i would suspect. It's their strongest title now that Y is over.

M.

patchesk83
09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I think there are a couple of new winners in the Vertigo stable right now. The Vinyl Underground is a fun, Morrison-style story, and I'm loving Brian Wood's Northlanders.

I tend to read most of Vertigo's stuff in trade format (with the exception of the above 2 titles). I agree they read better in one lump than in single doses.

The Vinyl Underground was fucking awesome. But, it got cancelled with issue 12.

Ian Ascher
09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I read the Preview of AIR in Madam Xanadu #1 and it just didn't grab me so I passed.

Ive never been a huge Vertigo person, buying things here and there when I can. Besides, I have to save my money for the NOIR Imprint.

Mark Bertolini
09-26-2008, 03:05 PM
The Vinyl Underground was fucking awesome. But, it got cancelled with issue 12.

Shit, really? I hadn't heard. One less monthly for me I guess.

Nick Kerklaan
09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
No Nick...what i'm saying is that in the midst of Skrull fever and a super duper Crisis no one can really get anything else into the mainstreams brains without using star creator talent to do so.

It's the nature of the beast. I'd love for Vertigo to start putting out books with some of the guys they have in their stables- from discussions with most comic creators I find that there's a lot of us who'd rather do those type of prorojects...but contracts and the bigger picture leads itself to the theory that the money is in capes and cowls.

So hopefully that makes alil bit more sense.

I mean what's the average Vertigo book sell in copies compared to something in the DCU. I think Vertigo was left on an island to fence for themselves- done a grat job to this point but it's starting to show with all of these cancelations now.

I mean what do they have---100 Bullets? That's almost done then what?

Keep cashing in on Sandman retreads? Minx line was a bust. Y the last man is over.Loveless tanked.Morrison was forced into the DCU to help make those books sing.

I remember having a convo with one editor over there about doing a vertigo-ish version of Supes over there- But instead they did it over in the DCU- and what Morrison and Quietly are doing would be wayyy more apeshit and fun in the DCU.

Can you imagine a Rags Morales,Tan,JG Jones over in Vertigo...I can... I can also see sales go up to.

Maybe they should change the mantra to Vertigo: Know the Ledge?

Just sayin. Great thread- I hope somebody over there is reading it.

M.

Okay, I gotchya. Yeah, I suppose I agree. Though part of the appeal of imprints like Vertigo is that they give non-star talent a chance. If you started filling Vertigo's roster with big names, you might limiting the use of Vertigo as a showcase for new talent.

Not that you can't have both, which I guess is really the ideal.

Mark Bertolini
09-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Jeez, I can't believe I forgot to mention Scalped. By far the best Vertigo book on the stands today.

Nick Kerklaan
09-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Jeez, I can't believe I forgot to mention Scalped. By far the best Vertigo book on the stands today.

I read the first issue (in the Vertigo: First Cuts collection) and wasn't impressed, honestly.

Really, the only first issues I even vaguely liked from that book were Jack of Fables and Love@War. Scalped seemed like it was trying way too hard to be "hard", DMZ was heavy-handed, Exterminators was trying too hard to be "edgey", and I just didn't like Loveless all that much. They all seemed cut from pretty much the same cloth - "We're Vertigo, we have sex, violence, and swearing! We're 'gritty'! Yay!"

A lot of the appeal of Air to me so far has been that it isn't cut from that cloth.

patchesk83
09-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Shit, really? I hadn't heard. One less monthly for me I guess.

Yeah, the title never really got much press at all. It said it was the last issue on like the first page of #12. I've never gone from excited to disappointed about a comic so fast.

MARS
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I liked Exterminators- but i felt it got out of hand and was one of those books that should have had a limited run rather than an ongoing.

Been meaning to check out Scalped.Skimmed it some @ a B&N and i dug it but it just seemed to run on the same legs that 100 Bullets did.

I'd love to see something smarter from them to be honest...

Like say Madmen (AMC tellie show) but in comicbook format would be nice and refreshing. Let Vertigo show us how smart and cutting edge they are instead of sex,drugs and violence retreads.

Not that that's a bad thing-I'm just saying...

Maybe we'll get that with this Noir thingie they keep telling us about.We shall see.

M.

Mark Bertolini
09-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I read the first issue (in the Vertigo: First Cuts collection) and wasn't impressed, honestly.

Really, the only first issues I even vaguely liked from that book were Jack of Fables and Love@War. Scalped seemed like it was trying way too hard to be "hard", DMZ was heavy-handed, Exterminators was trying too hard to be "edgey", and I just didn't like Loveless all that much. They all seemed cut from pretty much the same cloth - "We're Vertigo, we have sex, violence, and swearing! We're 'gritty'! Yay!"

A lot of the appeal of Air to me so far has been that it isn't cut from that cloth.

You should check out a few more issues of Scalped. Smart comic, incredible art, and the best name for a protagonist ever: Dashiell Bad Horse.

Nick Kerklaan
09-28-2008, 02:52 AM
You should check out a few more issues of Scalped. Smart comic, incredible art, and the best name for a protagonist ever: Dashiell Bad Horse.

The first issue just really turned me off. I thought the writing was mediocre at best and didn't like the art at all. It doesn't even have the best protagonist name (Warren Ellis gets credit for that one).

All imo, of course, but it really just wasn't my cup of tea. I gave it probably the only shot I'm likely to give it, unless someone I know buys a copy of the first trade so I can read it for free. Seeing as I'm about the only one in my circle with even a passing interest in noir/crime I don't see that happening, but you never know.