PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Eyes

Calloway
09-03-2008, 02:10 AM
I draw a lot but not as much as most people here and I have and had a huge problem. I get to drawing , leaned over the clipboard or desk, and 5 to 10 minutes all of a sudden my eyes go nuts as in blurry or doubled vision. The kind where you can usually blink and it corrects itself. Well it doesn't in draw mode. I look up and blink and I got a good 10 seconds of clear before it starts crawling back to double vision.

Does anyone else get this and if you have what do you do to remedy it? No it's not eye strain either as I don't have to be drawing long (I've had eye strain and went blind with an optical migraine before). Funny thing is it's never in pencils, just inking and coloring/painting fine details.

protonik
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Same thing happens to me, I don't know what to do so I quit inking. LOL.

BKMDog
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
You might need reading glasses, Green ( for doing anything within 2 or 3 feet of your eyes ) or you may have Keratitis ( dry eye syndrome ). Sounds like what I went through a few years back. A visit / exam with a good Opthamologist will confirm same if you do have either or both conditions. Hope this helps.

Calloway
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Well I do astigism. I am near sighted but I bet it's the dry eye thing. I am the only person I know who tears up at the theater regardless of the movie. My eyes just start watering themselves like crazy when I'm in the dark.

Also I sleep with my eyes open...seriously.

BKMDog
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
My eyes just start watering themselves like crazy when I'm in the dark.

One of the classic symptoms. Not necessarily in the dark, but tearing up. Odd that that's a symptom of dry eye syndrome, isn't it?

Don't know what you could do about that, G. Seriously - Maybe a sleep mask? Sleeping with your eyes open negates one of the eyes' great resting periods, and I don't mean sleep. Keeping the eyes closed as we do during sleep, allows on average 6 to 8 hours per day of recuperative rest, during which the eyes tear normally. Obviously, if they're closed, that tearing constantly bathes the eye in natural saline ( the tears ), which doesn't evaporate because of the lids being lowered.

Also, no more than 17 minutes in front of a computer at one time, for example ( you may have a higher threshold, so experiment a little ), before taking a 4 or 5 minute break and resuming ( During the break, get up, walk around, pump your arms - the chief cause of the stinging and tiredness in the eyes, aside from the dryness, is blood pooling in the eye due to inactivity and not blinking ). Staring is what aggravates dry eye syndrome. People on average when doing close-up viewing ( computer, drawing, TV, reading, etc. ) tend to blink only 1/3rd as much as they should. When you don't blink, you don't bathe the eyes in the moisture under your lids, and, there you go----

The eye doctor'll do a battery of tests to see just how much moisture you're losing / not generating, and give a better idea of how to deal with the problem, if indeed keratitis is what you have. Hope this helps, mate.

Biofungus
09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
It means you're focusing too hard. It tends to happen when you focus hard visually, but parts of your mind tend to drift.

Calloway
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
It means you're focusing too hard. It tends to happen when you focus hard visually, but parts of your mind tend to drift.

That's the thing, I'm not really. It's actually only when I look down (as in my head is tilted). Almost like the blurring you get from tears. Anyway when I paint and or color I don't focus on finite details. I'd give you inking but I focus on details in pencils and have no real problems but I don't tilt my head to do those.

I looked up symptoms to keratitis and I am pretty sure it's not that either as my eyes don't get inflamed or red. Maybe my mom is right and I just need more light :)

Biofungus
09-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Maybe you're tilting too hard. The muscles/spine are pressing against the back of your head, causing vision problems. I've gotten light headed by doing that (pressing against the blood vessels, cutting off oxygen to the brain. Maybe yours is more 'pin point').

Just as an experiment, try chewing gum while you do what you normally do (chewing gum increases oxygen to the brain). If it still does it, then you're likely pressing against the back part of your brain/skull.

chaosgoat
09-17-2008, 05:37 PM
You may want to go to your optometrist and have them look at your eyes. If you wear glasses, they may be too strong for close-up work.

Norritt
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
freaky!
as thor would say
get thee to an optometrist

Calloway
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I wear glasses so I've seen the eye doc almost all my life. This is a problem that's been around a while.

Justice41
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Doctor doctor my arm hurts when I do this well stop doing that. I'd suggest learning to draw on a near vertical drawing board or easel.

Calloway
10-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Doctor doctor my arm hurts when I do this well stop doing that. I'd suggest learning to draw on a near vertical drawing board or easel.

doesn't matter. It's focusing on something that does it. Probably the astigmatism.

The DarkMind
11-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Maybe you're just gettin old Greenie :huh:

Justice41
11-21-2008, 06:33 PM
years ago i messed up my eyes a bit. i use a white board to draw on and the white gives no focal point for your eyes, so just like a vid cam set to auto focus the eyes kept straining for something to focus on. having your board in front of a window is the best medicine.

Biofungus
11-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Interesting. I've heard of Snow Blindness, but never heard of it in the art field (but it makes sense).

I wonder if it would help if your drawing table is a contrastive color (like black), so it "surrounds" your paper (and your eye focuses on the paper, but still sees the black area outside the page).

OZ!
11-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Well I do astigism. I am near sighted but I bet it's the dry eye thing. I am the only person I know who tears up at the theater regardless of the movie. My eyes just start watering themselves like crazy when I'm in the dark.

Unfortunately I do that too. Its obnoxious and hard to deal with(I also have light sensitivity and do the blurred thing too but I never quite figured out what to do. I just tend to wash my face and take a break for a while.) Hope you solve it out, hinderances like that suck ass.