PDA

View Full Version : Comic Paper

pboy152
09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone! I have fully drawn and inked 5 pages of my book and it's turning out quite well so far but it is the first one i have done and i am working out a LOT of things that are completely new to me along the way! Well, I just started the digital coloring process and have found myself wondering if I have drawn my panels correctly on the page! I drew the edges of my panels directly on the "trim line"! I did not draw them through the "Bleed border" and I just want to know if it is a major issue not having drawn into the bleed! If you don't want your panels to run to the edge of the page where should I draw them too? Seems like drawing everything in the "Safe Area" just to not have it hacked off during the printing process leaves alot of wasted paper! What do you guys do for putting panels on the page in a safe and professional manner so I can follow?

Thanks

Calloway
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, you can always adjust it in the computer can't you?

Biofungus
09-02-2008, 03:09 AM
As long as your outtermost borders are just inside the trim line (they can butt up against it, but as long as the trim line doesn't run through the borders of the panel), then you're fine. In fact generally, the only time you'll want to draw up to the bleed is for covers, or if you absolutely know for a fact that the printer will be printing full bleed (and even then, drawing past the trim line is only recommended for breakout panels and the like. If it has a border, keep it inside the trim line. Just make sure the dialog/captions stay inside the safe area. Also, try not to put anything that's essential to the panel in the gap between the safe area and the trim line. It really *shouldn't* be an issue, but you never know when someone's going to whip out some archaic printing/trimming machine and hack off something they shouldn't :)