PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook advice?

FREAKCASTLE
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I have been meaning to throw this question out there, so here goes; I got a nice sketchbook a few months ago and started out using it all the time. I have since went back to my clipboards full of loose paper. I think I get intimidated by the book and always trying to finish my sketches instead of just leaving them as loose sketches. Does anyone else have this problem and if so any advice? Thanks....FREAK

Newt
08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I haven't had that exact problem, but I felt kind of intimidated when I got my first pack of bristol, like I should only draw on it if it was something really special.

If you're more comfortable with loose paper, stick with it; no one's judging. But if you really want to use a sketchbook, just keep using it until the awe wears off. Maybe getting a super cheap newsprint or manila pad would help break you of the bound-paper intimidation factor.

jakebilbao
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
the best advice i can give you is, (and i hope you do this, trust me this worked for me 8 years ago)

go and buy the best and most expensive PIECE of paper your art shop can produce.

do you have it?

place it in front of you.

now, get the best pencil you have(or the instrument you would like to use on this medium)

then get wild and draw scribbles!!!!! :bounce: ( you could close your eyes in this step)

not only is this a cool experience. it also will break your fear of messing up on premium paper.

only problem with this method is, you just can't stop drawing on any surface. may it be the most expensive paper, or your kitchen wall. use this power wisely my friend. :thumbs:

Biofungus
08-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, when I first got a bound sketch book, I even skipped every other page so I could go back and color all the artwork I drew in it. Last time I got a bound sketch book though, a few years ago, it was on sale at barnes and nobles, and cost less than most normal (ie easy to remove pages) sketch pads, so I just doodled in it, probably even worse than I would a normal pad. I guess it's just a psychological thing, the bound book seems so much fancier, we feel obligated to make the artwork inside match the quality. Luckily, those bound sketch books have come down so much in price (relatively speaking, I remember getting the 9x12 for like 17 dollars back 15+ years ago, now they're like 6 or 7 dollars) that it's not such an extra expense any longer.

FREAKCASTLE
08-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. They had awesome deal a few months ago at DickBlick on art packs that included a TON of art supplies: pencils,charcoal,erasers,4 or 5 different drawing pads, hardcover bound sketchbook, and a bag to carry all of it in for like $17(?). I ordered one and got it in the mail and my wife told me to order ten more! I only ordered four more and gave some of the stuff to my kids. Anyway, that is how I started drawing in the sketchbook. I wanted to start keeping my sketches in one place and have something nice to look at. I will just keep working at it and hopefully the intimidation factor will wear off. All the comments and suggestions are VERY appreciated. I do the 'close your eyes and scribble' technique already. I like to scribble and then see what I can make out of it (usually ends up being monsters or aliens!). Thanks again and I will keep checking back :slap: ....FREAK