PDA

View Full Version : Best single issues you can remember reading

Eugene Selassie
08-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Avengers #217

This issue was by far THE BEST written Hank Pym issue I have ever read, and the book that makes current writers look like complete dumb asses in their going back to the "Hank hit Jan" well again. He is set up in a pretty f---ed up predicament by Egghead and proves that an Ant-Man CAN hang with, and quite possibly kick the crap out of the other founding Avengers.

Superman #654

YES, this is a pretty recent issue, but it is THE BEST HANDLING OF CLARK in continuity that I have seen in ages. This VERY accessible issue by Busiek/Pacheco explains a day in Clark's life, and almost gives a backhand to OMD by showing why it is GREAT for the lead character in your universe to move forward and do things like get married.

Iron Man #129

Demon in a Bottle. A few conversations with Bob Layton made me appreciate this story even more, and the demons that Tony Stark faces, just by LOOKING at a bottle of alcohol.

Flash #169

NOW I respect Captain Cold and understand why Geoff Johns believes he is bad ass. NEVER have I gone from not respecting a villain, to jumping on a bandwagon quicker than this.

Buckyrig
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
There was an issue of James Robinson's Starman that took place in the Silver Age, regarding Ragdoll that I remember really liking. Don't have the issues to look through.

One of the Superman Annuals a couple of years ago had what was pretty much a history of the character that was just well-told. Again, don't recall which one, but it was in the last couple of years.

Nick Kerklaan
08-17-2008, 02:45 PM
The Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan issues from Watchmen.

Yeah, I know...

In non-Watchmen comics, I really like the issue of Transmetropolitan where Spider watches TV all day. And the "re-imagining" of Prez Rickard from Sandman.

I think the very first issue of Astro City might be, if not the best, certainly one of the best single issues I've ever read. I can't even really put into words how much it blew me away, I won't bother. But it was good.

Eugene Selassie
08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh, sorry.

I forgot The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.

JamieRoberts
08-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Marvel Two-in-One #51

I had to look this up, as it was part of a UK annual back when I was a kid. This had major characters playing poker, then taking on The Yellow Claw in an airborne battle. Haven't read it in years, but I remember it being fantastic.

Spider-Man: Tangled Web - Severance Package

Bar none, the best depiction of the Kingpin I've ever read. Literally the only comic that's ever made me nervous. Rucka and Risso are genuises.

Planetary #6

This whole series is sublime, but the issue we learn about The Four, and the plot really starts to thicken, is pretty much my favourite.

Locke & Key #1

The best set-up to a series, not to mention best comics debut, that I can remember. Oh, to be a King.

Eugene Selassie
08-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh...I have more to add.

Sleeper season 1 issue 10 I believe.

The origin of Genocide Jones. I have never been more sympathetic to a sick bastard than this.

X-O Manowar #0

Say what you want about Valiant, but the origin stories were epic. None moreso than for Aric of Dacia.

Ultraforce #1.
The first comic I ever purchased with George Perez art. I went on a TEAR trying to find more stuff drawn by him.

quantum1019
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Sandman # 50 by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell

Perfectly written, perfectly illustrated in the way that is unique to Russell's artwork, and effective at transporting the reader to the fabled Middle Eastern setting of the story.

Eugene Selassie
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
No other takers?

Raven
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Marvel 2 in 1 #50 or #100, not sure, but it was Thing versus himself.
Great issue.

Having a hard time remembering them now. . .

Mark Bertolini
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
The Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan issues from Watchmen.

Yeah, I know...

In non-Watchmen comics, I really like the issue of Transmetropolitan where Spider watches TV all day. And the "re-imagining" of Prez Rickard from Sandman.

I think the very first issue of Astro City might be, if not the best, certainly one of the best single issues I've ever read. I can't even really put into words how much it blew me away, I won't bother. But it was good.

My fav Transmet issue was the one where Spider was talking with the girl in the cafe, and she recounted the story of her brother sexually abusing her and giving her stuffed animals each time. Really a very sad story and sad issue.

Moonrider
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
The Sandman issue with Dr. Destiny. Creepy as hell.

The Blue Beetle issue with the Teen Titans vs. Lobo. One of the most fun filled issue of the series, and it hurts me to read the same story in the Teen Titans issue of the same month because that one is so badly written.

Rob Norton
08-19-2008, 01:26 PM
PLANETARY 11 ( i think it was)

every issue of thise series kicks ass, but this one stood out for me because as we have learned up to this point in the series, the FOUR, the dark and evil (and coolest) version of the Fantastic Four show just how evil, powerful and messed up they are. this issue focuses on "alternate reality" versions of superman, wonderwoman, and green lantern, and how the Four kill them. the whole thing was sad and depressing because these characters were coming to help mankind and they get killed before they knew what hit them.

a GREAT read

rob

Mark Bertolini
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
PLANETARY 11 ( i think it was)

every issue of thise series kicks ass, but this one stood out for me because as we have learned up to this point in the series, the FOUR, the dark and evil (and coolest) version of the Fantastic Four show just how evil, powerful and messed up they are. this issue focuses on "alternate reality" versions of superman, wonderwoman, and green lantern, and how the Four kill them. the whole thing was sad and depressing because these characters were coming to help mankind and they get killed before they knew what hit them.

a GREAT read

rob

Oh man, that was a good one. My personal Planetary fave is where Snow meets the secret agent in the underground bar, and his blocked memories start to come back. I love the look on his face as he puzzles his way through everything.

Rob Norton
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh man, that was a good one. My personal Planetary fave is where Snow meets the secret agent in the underground bar, and his blocked memories start to come back. I love the look on his face as he puzzles his way through everything.

oh yeah. the "nick fury" of the Planetary universe. he was only in a few issues, but all of them were cool. what the hell was that characters name? john something? agent of s.t.o.r.m.w.a.t.c.h.

such a good series. i missed issue 3. some kind of ghost gunfighter in japan? wish i could find it.

rob

Mark Bertolini
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
oh yeah. the "nick fury" of the Planetary universe. he was only in a few issues, but all of them were cool. what the hell was that characters name? john something? agent of s.t.o.r.m.w.a.t.c.h.

such a good series. i missed issue 3. some kind of ghost gunfighter in japan? wish i could find it.

rob

Yeah, the dead ghost cop in Japan. The first time you get to see Snow use his temperature abilities. Very cool issue (it's in the first TPB, All Around the World and Other Stories)

ronin7
08-19-2008, 03:40 PM
X-Men 2nd series #1. It was my in-depth introduction to the Uncanny X-Men whom I had read about before, but had no idea who they were. After I collected those wonderful 12 issues I learned about who Wolverine was. You see I had seen him before in his own solo series and issues of other Marvel comics of my youth, but I had no idea how his claws worked. I also mistakenly thought he was Australian and six feet tall. I also knew very little of the other X-Men. Since 2002 I went back through trade reading and read the wonderful Claremont/Byrne run that brought Wolverine into the X-Men fold and told of their plight of being a persecuted minority. I even read the first formation of the X-Men by Stan Lee. Making me a fan of the entire team.

Eugene Selassie
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
X-men # 70.

Between the end of the initial Claremont run, and the beginning of Grant Morrison's run, I despised the X-men...except for the Kelly/Seagle run.

This issue set up new status quo for so many characters and plot threads. I have never enjoyed a single X-men issue more.

Too bad editorial screwed the pooch...again.

HaphazardJoy
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd have to think about this more.

I don't know about BEST really, but I will also say X-Men (2nd) #1, as well as Wolverine #50 (the one with the awesome shredded cover), and The Maxx #1, not to say they're not "best", but I'm mostly putting those out there because those, more than any other, are the three issues I prize from when I first really started reading and still really enjoy today.

BJCochran
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Amazing Spider-man #400.

Quite simply amazing...too bad they brought Aunt May back.

Also The Incredible Hulk issue (Cant think of the number right now) but when Jim Wilson dies. Not because of the issue having a death but because it was a moral decision for Banner.

ronin7
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd have to think about this more.

I don't know about BEST really, but I will also say X-Men (2nd) #1, as well as Wolverine #50 (the one with the awesome shredded cover), and The Maxx #1, not to say they're not "best", but I'm mostly putting those out there because those, more than any other, are the three issues I prize from when I first really started reading and still really enjoy today.

The only thing I can say is if it wasn't for X-Men (2nd) #1 I probably wouldn't be an X-Men fan. It was reading those issues that made me all these years later go back and read the Claremont/Byrne run, which was fantastic. Too bad Grant Morrison's run sucked. The only thing he did which made sense was explore the cultural impact that mutants would have on humanity. But then he had to go and make Quesada angry by telling him to go fuck himself as well as take the reigns of the Marvel Universe out of the hands of editorial and the other writers and declare humanity in the Marvel Universe near extinction.

HaphazardJoy
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm still on record for not being a fan of Morrison's run, but it was way better than what they followed with.

Not just the book itself, but if it wasn't for Jim Lee's art I might not be such a big fan. I used to spend hours drawing copies from the pages of Lee's X-men work.

jeffo46
08-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Fantastic Four No 51 ( 1st series) This Man, This Monster!
Simply one of the best stories that the team of Kirby,Lee,& Sinnott have ever produced featuring Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew,The Thing.I'm not sue if this was ever collected in the essentials series mainly because I happen to own the original,but if you ever get a chance to read it,please do.

The Killing Joke-Need I say more,The ultimate Joker story.

Amazing Fantasy No.15- 1st Spidey.What started it all!

Mark Bertolini
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
The only thing I can say is if it wasn't for X-Men (2nd) #1 I probably wouldn't be an X-Men fan. It was reading those issues that made me all these years later go back and read the Claremont/Byrne run, which was fantastic. Too bad Grant Morrison's run sucked. The only thing he did which made sense was explore the cultural impact that mutants would have on humanity. But then he had to go and make Quesada angry by telling him to go fuck himself as well as take the reigns of the Marvel Universe out of the hands of editorial and the other writers and declare humanity in the Marvel Universe near extinction.

Have they just retconned the oncoming human extinction? I don't know if I've seen it mentioned since Morrison's run at all.

ronin7
08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Have they just retconned the oncoming human extinction? I don't know if I've seen it mentioned since Morrison's run at all.

House Of M and Messiah Complex was the answer to the problem Morrison presented to the X-Mythos. That's why the mutants are near extinction instead of the human race. It almost reminds me somewhat of John Byrne's Next Men, which I'm currently reading the first volume of.

dwrite
08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Someone else here mentioned Tangled Web of Spider Man. This is a series that I really enjoyed. Too bad it had such a limited run. Anyway, the final issue of "Flowers for Rhino" was a terrific one, where the Rhino decides that being smart just isn't worth it, and goes back to being a dumb guy who smashes through walls. It really gave some depth to the Rhino. Spider Man was barely in the entire story, but, still, this was a great read.

Dan
http://indycomics.today.com
www.propertycrossroads.com

pi0trov
08-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Favorite issue ever is Detective #526 - pre-Crisis Bat-family vs. his entire rogues gallery. It was the first Bat-book I'd ever read (and one of the first comics I owned), yet I understood everything that was going on, and it was phenomenally entertaining. I've probably re-read that more than any other single issue, ever. Awesome art, classic writing. Pure gold.

Another one was the Hellblazer issue (don't remember the number, pretty sure it was an Ennis issue) where a piss-drunk John takes on the King of the Vampires...

dmh_3000
08-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Someone else here mentioned Tangled Web of Spider Man. This is a series that I really enjoyed. Too bad it had such a limited run. Anyway, the final issue of "Flowers for Rhino" was a terrific one, where the Rhino decides that being smart just isn't worth it, and goes back to being a dumb guy who smashes through walls. It really gave some depth to the Rhino. Spider Man was barely in the entire story, but, still, this was a great read.

Yeah, I liked this story as well. Rhino's descent into depression seemed so realisitc, his intelligence overwhelming him. Don't know about the lesson at the end though. It could either be "Don't change who you are if it won't make you happy" or "Ignorance is bliss". Guess it's up to interpretation

Another one I read that I quite enjoyed was Looking for Group. Yes, as in the webcomic, but it was printed as well. Anyway, of this one, Issue #3 was my favourite of the lot. Tavor, the likeable elf knight and prince who seemed so honourable and trustworthy turning on the gang in his obsessive pursuit of revenge, the new character Pella of clan Breem, time travelling, dragons and at the very end, Cale is forced into the hardest decision of his life, one that nearly breaks him.

And finally, Detective Comics #826. I think this was the first time that Robin (Or at least, Tim Drake) was forced to face the Joker on his own, with no Batman within reach. Completely alone, tied up and vulnerable, the boy manages to out-think his mentor's greatest nemesis, leading him into a fight that ends in something I've wanted to happen to the deranged harlequin for quite some time now.

WSSmith
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
BEST SINGLE ISSUES of my youth:

SWAMP THING ANNUAL #2 Down Amongst the Dead by A. Moore

Miracleman # 21 by Neil Gaiman

New Gods #1 by Kirby
Kamandi #1 by Kirby

Nitecrawlah2
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, those Tangled Web issues were some of the best Spidey stories EVER. Apart from those, the Jenkins/Buckingham run of Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man had about 4-5 single issue stories involving Spidey and his universe. Issue # 33 (I think) featured a story about Uncle Ben and Peter's trip to a ball game back in the day. Literally brought me to tears, fantastic storytelling and a touching flashback moment for both characters. Another single issue standout for me would be Batman # 406, where most of the issue focuses on Gordon's troubles with the corrupt police dept, the emergence of a vigilante (Batman Year One), and mob rule. The fight between Det. Flass and Gordon is still one of the most badass moments I've ever read in comics; a work of fucking art this comic was.

Calloway
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I hate to say this because it's also part of my favorite series but the last issue of Kraven's last hunt (web I think). For a kid reading that it made comics feel real to me and I felt sad for Kraven.

Eugene Selassie
08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Doom Patrol vol 2 #19.

Grant Morrison's first issue.

Blew my f***ing mind. I knew I was in store for a wild ride.

Nick Kerklaan
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Doom Patrol vol 2 #19.

Grant Morrison's first issue.

Blew my f***ing mind. I knew I was in store for a wild ride.

That was a good one, but my favourite issue of that run so far is the one with the Brain and Monsieur Mallah at the end of the second trade. Wacky as all hell. Still have four trades to go, just ordered them off Amazon so they should arrive shortly.

I also can't believe I forgot "Three Septembers And A January" from Sandman. Definitely one of the best single-issue stories in the series, and a strong contender for best I've ever read.

yellowphantom
08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
...man there are many ...many comics i can remember re-re-re-re-reading when i was growing up...

INCREDIBLE HULK 272...the start of banner controlling the hulk

FANTASTIC FOUR #166-170....ben is cured..power man joins ff

DEFENDERS # 95-100....dracula...satan...demons.. angels....defenders

AMAZING SPIDERMAN # 144-150...the original clone story

MARVEL TEAM-UP # 41-44....scarlet witch...vision...doc. doom...moondragon..spidey...time travel 'nuff said...

MARVEL TWO IN ONE ANNUAL #7...boxing with the champion...i must have read this a thousand times when i was growing up....

...and a bunch more i can't remember right now...

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/2353_4_7.jpg

Nick Pitarra
09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
The Authority Issues 13,14,15. These issues and the following are what got me back into comics and what got me drawing again.(I hadn't read any comics or drawn anything scince I was about 10). This was Millar and Quitely's intro issues,where we basicly see knock off version of the Avengers take on The Authority, who are essentially knock of versions of members of the JLA. Only with their own messed up twist.They beat the shit out of and kill each other. I actually never got the connection that either were knocking off any past teams...until I read a review a few years later. Shows how out of touch I was with the comic world. Quitely's art work and the violent take on a super hero story just blew me away...and I was just shocked at how far comic art...and mature comics had become.

For art and story I just don't think you can beat BIG GUY AND RUSTY. Darrows art plus Millers pacing and heavy children's book style illiteration are just awesome.