PDA

View Full Version : Summer Event Books: Story Arcs

Ian Ascher
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Im posting this here because it deals with Marvel and DC....

Ive noticed each company created their Big Crossover Events in a similar fashion but each is executed a little differently and Im curious which format other out there prefer out of the two...

Marvel: The Main book is told in broad strokes leaving a lot of gaps that are filled in by the story presented in regular monthly titles and a slew of minis anywhere from three to eight issues long. Unless you read a good chunk of the addl books... the main story feels to jump and skip and not be complete.

DC: Oversized main issues tell a larger chunk of the story while oversized specials, one shots, and a few minis add to the whole, filling in gaps. Events dont cross into the regular monthly books as much and when you skip a special or mini, you dont feel as cheated on the main story.

Thoughts...?

Mark Bertolini
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Im posting this here because it deals with Marvel and DC....

Ive noticed each company created their Big Crossover Events in a similar fashion but each is executed a little differently and Im curious which format other out there prefer out of the two...

Marvel: The Main book is told in broad strokes leaving a lot of gaps that are filled in by the story presented in regular monthly titles and a slew of minis anywhere from three to eight issues long. Unless you read a good chunk of the addl books... the main story feels to jump and skip and not be complete.

DC: Oversized main issues tell a larger chunk of the story while oversized specials, one shots, and a few minis add to the whole, filling in gaps. Events dont cross into the regular monthly books as much and when you skip a special or mini, you dont feel as cheated on the main story.

Thoughts...?

My head hurts.

Ian Ascher
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry.... :cry:

KHudd
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
DC is clearly pleasing their fans with their titles coming early and no tie in books .Marvel is trying to make a profit with all of the tie ins and the frontline books and the skrull books it is just to much . Marvel needs to have a good story and the way secret invasion is going it seems tome that brian could and should do better .

kdmelrose
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
DC is clearly pleasing their fans with their titles coming early and no tie in books.

No tie-ins?

Final Crisis: Requiem (one-shot)
Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge (three issues)
DC Universe: Last Will and Testament (one-shot)
Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds (five issues)
Final Crisis: Revelations (five issues)
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond (two issues)
Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns (one-shot)
Final Crisis: Resist (one-shot)
Final Crisis: Submit (one-shot)

KHudd
08-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Those aren't tie ins . I have never heard of any of those books as a ongoing .

kdmelrose
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Huh?

Ian Ascher
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Those aren't tie ins . I have never heard of any of those books as a ongoing .

Even though DC doesnt have the story arc run through a regular monthly book, all their one-shots and mini series books are still considered "tie-ins".

I like the fact DC does it that way over Marvel. Throwing the main story into regular, on-going monthly books, in addition to various specials is just overkill in my eyes BUT, that's they way they market it.

L Jamal
08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I prefer DC's approach with out all the one shots and mini series however, I ignore most of DCs output while I continue to read a fair amount of Marvel, so maybe DC isn't doing it right.

Raven
08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Even though DC doesnt have the story arc run through a regular monthly book, all their one-shots and mini series books are still considered "tie-ins".

I like the fact DC does it that way over Marvel. Throwing the main story into regular, on-going monthly books, in addition to various specials is just overkill in my eyes BUT, that's they way they market it.

Yeah in fact I am only buying Final Crisis. Doesn't matter which ones, each week I pick up any of the red cover FC books, but I only buy Batman RIP outside of that from DC. And I am rarely disappointed.

I buy Captain America from Marvel, that is about it. In fact I skipped over the crossover issues with during Civil War and didn't pick it up again until Bucky put on the suit, I refuse to support the tie-ins.

KHudd
08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah in fact I am only buying Final Crisis. Doesn't matter which ones, each week I pick up any of the red cover FC books, but I only buy Batman RIP outside of that from DC. And I am rarely disappointed.

I buy Captain America from Marvel, that is about it. In fact I skipped over the crossover issues with during Civil War and didn't pick it up again until Bucky put on the suit, I refuse to support the tie-ins.
I dont buy the tie ins either but civil war's wolverine was pretty good and I think deadpool will have a great series .

quantum1019
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I prefer DC's approach. I really don't want to read Final Crisis, but I'm still abloe to enjoy the titles I regularly read without the event getting in the way of Green Lantern, the Superman titles, JLA or JSA. Here I am avoiding the Batman titles again though. I don't want to have to read all of this Batman RIP stuff.

Nick Kerklaan
08-15-2008, 02:55 AM
I really like DC's way. I don't like having to pick up random scattered issues of titles I don't read to fill in the gaps of the story or collect the entire crossover. Every week I pick up the books with the red covers. Boom, done.

Paul Sanderson
08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
DC, I think, for me, though I'm not a fan of either current template for creating constant, neverending, overblown epics. Can't we have a break for a few years to recover, so that next time they attempt such an event, it'll actually have some measure of impact?