PDA

View Full Version : Underrated and Underappreciated artists

quantum1019
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Who would you consider underrated artists in comics, artists who have had fantastic careers but never seem to get enough credit in discussions of comics?

Some of mine would be:

Creig Flessel: One of the great Golden Age artists, who did a lot of stories featuring the original Sandman in that striking gasmask/fedora/trench coat costume. Flessel's covers for the early Adventure Comics were some of the best of the time, in my opinion.

Al Williamson: This guy has been in comics since the 50s. He did marvelous work on EC's science fiction comics, drew the very well done Star Wars comic strip in the late 70s, spent the 80s inking some of Marvel's best artists, including John Romita Jr. on X-Men. Everything Williamson draws is breathtaking.

Norm Breyfogle: Every comics fan of my age group (I'm 31) seems to have fond memories of Norm's Batman work in the late 80s/early 90s. That was an incredible run, and I really wish DC or Marvel would give him some work again. I'd love to see his take on Spider-Man.

Jerry Ordway: nothing too flashy or distinctive about Ordway's work. He just draws solid, well paced, well drawn superhero stuff with the emphasis on getting the story told, and he does it well every single time, and has been doing so for decades now.

Who does everyone else think deserves more credit for their work?

Gav Heryng
08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Me.

Dis

Tayman227
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I think Gary Frank deserves more credit, His work is so detailed and wonderful.