PDA

View Full Version : Whats comics do you suggest?

Jasen Smith
07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Hope this is the right spot for this...

I dont read many comics, but I did see Joe Mad was working on Ultimates.
I love his work and the art in it is amazing to me, but I HATE Jeph Loeb's writing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an absolute must read?

These are already on my list:

The Watchmen
Dark Knight Returns

what else should I check out?

Calloway
07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Kraven's last hunt is a must read.

Jasen Smith
07-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Read the wiki on it, sounds very cool.

J. Alexopoulos
07-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Alright, someone who makes a point of saying that thet love Joe Mad and hate Loeb. I feel like we're family.

Ultimates 3 SUCKS. The art is pretty good, but the story.... /shudder. The first two Ultimates series were very good though.

Marvel-wise, I'd have to recommendthe current titles: Immortal Iron Fist, Thor, New Avengers. The X-men's Messiah Complex was pretty good (pick up the TPB), well edited with a very good flow. Kraven's last hunt was pretty good,a bit slow and a bit 'in your head', but pretty powerful stuff.

Being a Joe Mad fan, I hope you've read the X-Men's Age of Apocalypse, as well as his own Battle Chasers. Humberto Ramos has a similar style, and he had his own title released at the same time as Battle Chasers called Crimson... not bad.

OH OH OH!!!!
Walking Dead is AWESOME!!! It's a character driven, post-apocalyptic zombie plague story. It's so good that even my girlfriend is reading it!!! :blink:

Mark Bertolini
07-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Check out:

Ex Machina

The Boys

No Hero or Black Summer by Warren Ellis

Newuniversal: Shockfront

Daredevil

Scalped

DMZ

zer0cool
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Y: The Last Man is absolutely amazing.
Ultimates 1 and 2 are great.
The Goon is great fun.
Can't think of any more right now...but a must reiterate how great I think Y is!

quantum1019
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
If you're reading Dark Knight Returns, make sure you check out Batman: Year One as well.

PIMPZILLA
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Preacher
Sandman
The Boys
Invincible
Hellboy
B.P.R.D.
Batman: Year One
Batman: Hush
V For Vendetta

HaphazardJoy
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
And really, if you enjoy Batman: Year One, I would implore you to give Loeb another chance. Batman: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are really excellent tales that take up where Year One leaves off.

Age of Apocalypse is another favorite of mine, I'll echo that one. Very fun art across the board if you like Joe Mad style work, and it's a reinvention of all the characters so you won't be too lost not being a regular reader. Hopefully you are a little familiar with the X-men though in order to appreciate some of the changes in the characters.

The Watchmen is an excellent book, and even if I haven't read everything, I feel pretty confident in suggesting anything by Alan Moore. V For Vendetta is one of my all-time-favorites, and the League of Extrodinary Gentlemen books are a whole lot of fun.

If you want some more straight-up superhero stuff that's fun, but not too deep, try out the Ultimate books, especially Ultimate Spider-Man and The Ultimates. Invincible is a fantastic book like that too, fantastic art and writing but easy to get right into and enjoy.

If you want some non-superhero books, try out Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, 100 Bullets, etc.

100 Bullets is especially easy to get into, even though there's a lot of volumes out there, it's a lot easier to pick up and get started without worrying about reading them in order. The basic premise being that these people who have been wronged in their life are handed the choice to quite literally take justice into their own hands and take their revenge without consequences.

C_Lawson
08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Preacher
The Maxx
Pride of Baghdad (this book haunted my mind for weeks after reading it)
Ultimate spider-man
Cable and Deadpool
The Walking Dead
From Hell

The Anti-crest
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Books of Magic vol 1
watchmen
the maxx
zero girl
pop gun war
Sandman
Fables
Brooklyn Dreams
One! Hundred! Demons!

also check out your local library and just read what ever comics they have. They are FREE at the library.

Aidy
08-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Nextwave
Justice League International
two funny series available in trade.

BJCochran
08-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Kraven's last hunt is a must read.

Finally someone agrees with me!!!!!!!!! As a huge Spidey fan this is one of the best stories ever for the Wall Crawler.

Another one that must be put on this list is Saga of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore..Just great stuff.

Buckyrig
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
The New Frontier