PDA

View Full Version : Wanted

Aidy
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
so i borrowed this off a chum of mine,and I must say that i was a little dissapointed. Maybe it was due to the hype surrounding the comic - so much so that it couldnt possibly have lived up to the compliments paid to Mark Miller - but it seemed to be a little disrespectful of both DC and Marvel's content and heroes whilst using em as a back drop for its own history.
I'm a little unsure of exactly what I felt about the whole thing. casual racisim, sexism and acceptable bashing in of disabled people :slap: doesnt really make for enjoyable light reading for me.
Any thoughts?

Mr.Musgrave
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
It was about villains. What did you expect, mustache twirling and damsels tied to train tracks?

Mark Bertolini
07-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Hell, I loved it. The J.G. Jones art alone was worth the price of admission.

And a monster made of the feces of the 666 most evil men to walk the planet? Priceless. And Johnny Two-Dicks, the guy who had a twelve-inch criminal mastermind in his underwear, that too was classic.

Why couldn't the movie have incorporated those elements?

Deadfish07
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM

Probably thought a superhero movie wouldn't sell. Oops.

Then again, it did good even without the supervillain stuff.

Mark Bertolini
07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Probably thought a superhero movie wouldn't sell. Oops.

Then again, it did good even without the supervillain stuff.

What I understood was the rights to the book were sold about 3 years ago, and the producers were worried that the comic book movie bubble might burst by it's 2008 release date, so they removed the supervillain aspects and made them assassins of, um, destiny, or whatever the hell they were supposed to be in the movie.

But you're right, it did do well. Warren Ellis commented that Mark Millar now has enough money to buy Jesus.

Raven
07-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Hell, I loved it. The J.G. Jones art alone was worth the price of admission.

And a monster made of the feces of the 666 most evil men to walk the planet? Priceless. And Johnny Two-Dicks, the guy who had a twelve-inch criminal mastermind in his underwear, that too was classic.

Because both those characters were clearly parodies of Clayface and The Ventriloquist.

Mark Bertolini
07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Because both those characters were clearly parodies of Clayface and The Ventriloquist.

So? Everything in movies these days is a parody of something else. I just wish they had kept the supervillain parts of the comic. I think it would have made the movie that much better. I would have loved to the the Killer and the Fox mow down all of Mister Rictus' assembled bad guys. And the bleach scene with Shithead would have been awesome.

Just gripin' is all.

J. Alexopoulos
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
So? Everything in movies these days is a parody of something else. I just wish they had kept the supervillain parts of the comic. I think it would have made the movie that much better. I would have loved to the the Killer and the Fox mow down all of Mister Rictus' assembled bad guys. And the bleach scene with Shithead would have been awesome.

Just gripin' is all.

Part of me wishes that Shithead was in it... Everything about him is funny.

But on the other hand, I don't think that they could have translated that over to film. Most of it was based on DC characters, and I think that DC will have a lot of trouble transferring their characters to film. It's tough to convince an audiance to believe in a whole world of 'Cape-ys'.

Another issue with the comic. I'll agree with Aidy. I had a bit of a problem with the racist tones. The continual mentioning of having to work for an "African-American" made me think that:
a- it wasn't necesarrily in Wesley's character, and it seemed the audiance was being played to (when it didn't need to).
b- Maybe Wesley was racist, which would be a weird thing to bring up during the books intro. Everything else we learn about him during the intro makes us feel sorry and pity him. Am I supposed to pity him because he works for an 'African-American'? Maybe if he'd started mentioning this after he had become corrupt and was murdering and raping people, it would make sense, since he pretty much hates everyone.