PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Top 5?

Mark Bertolini
07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
List the 5 best comics you've ever read.

My list is as follows:

5) Y: The Last Man
4) Transmetropolitan
3) Planetary
2) The Invisibles
1) Preacher

fluxchild
07-18-2008, 05:14 PM
The Dark Knight Returns

WatchMen

Dark Phoenix Saga

Joker's Last Laugh

Killing Joke

I think I'm partial to Batman stories!

Nick Kerklaan
07-18-2008, 05:35 PM
In no particular order, cause it's hard for me to rank things, and this list could change depending on mood, etc, but:

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

Sandman

Bone

The Killing Joke

And while I probably shouldn't include it yet because I haven't read the whole series, Transmetropolitan is one of the best comics I've read in a long time (up to Vol. 4 now).

Nick Kerklaan
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh, and Jimmy Corrigan should probably be in there too.

Uh... can I have a top 10?

Knuckles
07-18-2008, 06:13 PM
In no particular order:

Ultimates (not the new one)

DMZ

Y the last man

Fables

Ultimate Spiderman

I guess I like the ultimate line.

fluxchild
07-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd like to add hellblazer also

BIGROD
07-18-2008, 07:35 PM
In no particular order:

The Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

Bone

The Killing Joke

Y: The Last Man

Hard to chose just 5 but if any were interchangeable, I'd throw Preacher in there.

yellowphantom
07-18-2008, 08:12 PM
uhhhh...thats a tough one but here goes:

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

Blackhole

Box Office Poison

Swamp Thing (issues 20 thru the end of Moores run)

(also... Cerebus, Hate, Ulitmate Spiderman, Preacher)

ronin7
07-20-2008, 08:39 PM
This is tough.

Dark Knight Returns

Born Again

Man of Steel

Frank Miller's Ronin

Dark Phoenix Saga

Honorable Mentions:

Wolverine Mini-Series

Ultimates 1 and 2

Ultimate Spider-Man

New Avengers

Batman Year One and Year Two: Fear The Reaper

Death And Return Of Superman

Paul Sanderson
07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
The following is a list of my favourites. I don't really know what the best are, I just know what I like...

* Batman: Year One.
* The Killing Joke.
* Watchmen.
* The Dark Knight Returns.
* Batman: Birth of the Demon.
* The Man of Steel.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others if I really think about it.

MARS
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
This is tough...

Killing Joke

Good Intentions (Hellblazer)

Uncanny X-men 123-199 run. Issue #179 panel 3 is perhaps the coolest shot of the X-men ever IMO.So much attitude.No one will ever top that run.Claremont,Byrne,Cockrum,Smith,JRJR...the best.

Justice League International (the one with Maguire on art i think- the one where Batman K.O's Guy Gardner with one punch.Blue Beatle gets fat.That one

Avengers run with Johns and Copiel...Red Skull. Just for one scene: Black Panther tells Red Skull he's gonna break his jaw...and does. Perhaps the best scene i have ever witnessed in a comic.

M.

Calloway
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
going by storylines and one shots:

Kraven's last hunt. The first time I ever saw seriousness in a comic book. I think i was 9 or ten when it came out.

The Killing Joke. First time I realized how much more there was to batman

Starlin's Surfer run. Deep, other wordly and very much me.

The Watchmen. After 20 years of hearing about it I finally bought it. It was way beyond my expectations.

HaphazardJoy
07-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Tough, hmmm.

Long Halloween/Dark Victory,
Transmet,
V For Vendetta,
The Maxx

Those are all I can decide on 100% as being in the top 5.

Killing Joke, Watchmen, Wanted, Age of Apocalypse and early-mid 90's X-men (I don't think those stories stack up next to all of these others, but they were integral into getting me into comics), and so on and so forth, are all up there.

I've only read the first volume of Y: the Last Man, and I plan on reading more, but thus far I haven't seen what the big deal is. I'm assuming it gets better? Meanwhile I just finally started reading Transmet a month or so ago, and I've been picking up a new volume every week, eager to just buy em all but I don't have the money, instant fan.

Aidy
07-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Giffen, Dematteis and Mcguire's Justice league international.
the Death of Superman - world with out superman - return of Superman (Goodbooks, good summer reading them.)
The watchmen (Who watches the bearded misrable nothhamptoner?)
Peacher (Swearing is big and clever)
X-men (the whole thing..as much as i bitch about it.)
Sandman

Mark Bertolini
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Tough, hmmm.

Long Halloween/Dark Victory,
Transmet,
V For Vendetta,
The Maxx

Those are all I can decide on 100% as being in the top 5.

Killing Joke, Watchmen, Wanted, Age of Apocalypse and early-mid 90's X-men (I don't think those stories stack up next to all of these others, but they were integral into getting me into comics), and so on and so forth, are all up there.

I've only read the first volume of Y: the Last Man, and I plan on reading more, but thus far I haven't seen what the big deal is. I'm assuming it gets better? Meanwhile I just finally started reading Transmet a month or so ago, and I've been picking up a new volume every week, eager to just buy em all but I don't have the money, instant fan.

Transmet is fucking amazing, keep reading it. And give Y a try, I wasn't convinced at first, but it quickly became gold for me. On the same level as I feel about Transmet.

Calloway
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Giffen, Dematteis and Mcguire's Justice league international.
the Death of Superman - world with out superman - return of Superman (Goodbooks, good summer reading them.)
The watchmen (Who watches the bearded misrable nothhamptoner?)
Peacher (Swearing is big and clever)
X-men (the whole thing..as much as i bitch about it.)
Sandman

Haven't read peacher yet, is it about a guy who peaches people?

Aidy
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Haven't read peacher yet, is it about a guy who peaches people?

Wow. Get this man a stage and a mic..and I'll have a beer.

He doesnt peach, he makes peach melba.

Nick Kerklaan
07-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Meanwhile I just finally started reading Transmet a month or so ago, and I've been picking up a new volume every week, eager to just buy em all but I don't have the money, instant fan.

I really don't have enough money to buy them all either, but after pretty much devouring the first four I went ahead and did so anyway. Through Amazon, so at least that saves me a little money... the downside being I have to wait several weeks to read them. :(

HaphazardJoy
07-23-2008, 03:30 AM
I really don't have enough money to buy them all either, but after pretty much devouring the first four I went ahead and did so anyway. Through Amazon, so at least that saves me a little money... the downside being I have to wait several weeks to read them. :(

Really? Amazon usually gets to me in under a week.
I've been buying them through my regular shop, they often give me discounts when I'm buying a good sized lot, so I don't feel bad buying them at retail.

So I'm seeing a lot of the same titles listed, ones we all recognize as being great. Am I the only one that loves The Maxx though?

Nick Kerklaan
07-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Well, all the Transmets are listed as shipping in 11 to 14 days on Amazon.ca, which is the one I use. So I have a bit of a wait ahead, though last time I ordered off there my books all came substantially sooner than what they estimated, so we'll see.

I've yet to find a comic book store in the city that'll give me discounts large enough to turn me away from Amazon. I still buy singles and the occasional trade at a couple stores near me. I'm all for supporting local stores, but I'm also poor.

PIMPZILLA
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Kingdom Come
Watchmen
Hellboy
Planetary
Preacher

stand ins would be

Killing Joke
Marvels
Whatever Happened to the man of tomorrow?
Sandman
The Dark Knight Returns

Nick Kerklaan
07-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Marvels
Whatever Happened to the man of tomorrow?

Oh yeah!

These are both Top 5 material (or pretty close anyway) for me as well.

J. Alexopoulos
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
- Y
- Walking Dead
- Giant Size X-Men / Claremont run.
- Exiles 1-68ish (sue me)
- Amazing Spider-Man

Raven
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Transmet is fucking amazing, keep reading it. And give Y a try, I wasn't convinced at first, but it quickly became gold for me. On the same level as I feel about Transmet.

Yeah once I got to the girl who was sad because her pervert brother was dead, I was hooked on Ellis. Or the frozen head lady story was remarkable. It's funny but in the midst of such a heartless book/future world, Ellis has written some of his most touching, emotional scenes.

Top 5:

Lone Wolf and Cub
Watchmen
Preacher
Planetary
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

and Animal Man by Grant Morrison.

bobellis75
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
In no order....

Transmetropolitan

Hitman

Y The Last Man

Uncanny X-Men run with the Morlocks...when Angel was hung by his wings...that blew me away as a kid, and I still have a place in my heart for that story

The Killing Joke - another one that blew me away at a younger age - I was in high school and this one became a favorite. Just sort of introduced a more adult angle on superhero books to me

There are many that I had to leave off...it's tough to narrow it to five....

Preacher, Planetary, Astonishing X-Men, Wildcats 2.0, Bruce Jones run on the Hulk, Swamp Thing, several various Batman stories, Joe Kelley's run on Deadpool, Ultimates volumes 1 and 2, Ultimate Spidey, Waid's run on Flash, Johns' run on Flash, Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, Daredevil by Smith and again by Bendis and again by Miller....so on and so on..........

quantum1019
07-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Everyone seems to be listing diferent things...some are listing storylines, some are lsiting entire series, etc. I'll go with indiviudual stories, whether one issue long or several issues.

The Galactus story from Fantastic Four 48-50

"Sand Seriff" from Will Eisner's Spirit

The Dark Phoenix Saga

The two part Joker story from the Englehart/Rogers run on Detective Comics (during the 70s)

The Origin of Dr. Strange from Strange Tales (a great origin and Ditko's art and Lee's script set the mood and atmosphere perfectly. My favorite of the classic Marvel origin stories.)

PIMPZILLA
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Uncanny X-Men run with the Morlocks...when Angel was hung by his wings...that blew me away as a kid, and I still have a place in my heart for that story

I don't know for sure, but I think that's, God Loves, Man Kills.

bobellis75
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think that's, God Loves, Man Kills.

I think it was just called Catacombs or something like that...just a 2 or 3 part story. Introduced the Morlocks. It was quite a first issue for a 7 year old kid though.

quantum1019
07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
That wasn't "God Loves, Man Kills." It was a regular issue of Uncanny. I'm not sure of the issue number off the top of my head. I think it was in the 170s. If memory serves me, it was drawn by Paul Smith.

bobellis75
07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
That wasn't "God Loves, Man Kills." It was a regular issue of Uncanny. I'm not sure of the issue number off the top of my head. I think it was in the 170s. If memory serves me, it was drawn by Paul Smith.

You're close! I looked last night and it's number 169.

quantum1019
07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow. For an old guy my memory is pretty good. I havent read X-Men from that era in probably 15 years or more.