PDA

View Full Version : Problems with copics

Calloway
07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
So one of my skin whites is coming out darker then normal and drying to a sticky thick consistency.

Could this be from the heat and humidity in my studio? A/C is running but it's not helping much.

Biofungus
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
There are no problems with copics. Only the copic user.

Calloway
07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Your mom's a user.

I was thinking more of environment for prime usage. Once you walked upstairs it was an instant sweat bath.

Biofungus
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
It sounds like you're letting the marker spend too much time in contact with the paper.

Letting it absorb too much ink. Also, skin white is normally a bit darker than the name lets on. If you want something with just a hint of color, go for cherry white. Or... Moon white I think it is? There are a lot of light colors, and I'd say at least ten that are lighter than skin white (think of it more as pale skin, rather than a 'highlight' type color). As for the tackiness, again sounds like too much ink absorbed into the paper. Yes, humidity would be a factor, but not the sole factor. If you can, keep the paper near a fan when it's drying, that might help to lessen the air moisture as it dries.

And yes, I wish my mom was user. This way she could buy the markers and I wouldn't have to :p

Calloway
07-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I actually waited til night time and got it working right (see the tomb raider pic).

I've always felt skin white was too light. I usually have to layer it. I'm going to be experimenting with different techniques. There's an awesome marker dude on deviant art (see my faves and the jug picture there) and I am trying to tear apart his work where I can and see what I can use as far as on sketch cards. As well going to try underpainting a bit.

Renae De Liz
07-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, our markers get that way sometimes too when it gets too warm. We also notice that after a plane trip they get dry....temperamental little bastards!

I still love my Hulk cards LGM! :)

Calloway
07-21-2008, 01:59 AM
I am still sending something better. I think the trade was still lopsided on my part :)