PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with visual flashback motif

Eggbert
07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know of any visual motifs or techniques for showing a character having involuntary unwanted/violent flashbacks (forced, suddenly regained, intense traumatic memories)?

I really need advice on how to show this in black and white, as the comic I'm drawing doesn't have colour.

The more ideas you can offer the better.

Thank you.

Calloway
07-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Lighten the lines to a gray. also stiple in a white border inside the frame around the scenes.

Lord Fejj
07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
oops

dave_hearn
07-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know of any visual motifs or techniques for showing a character having involuntary unwanted/violent flashbacks (forced, suddenly regained, intense traumatic memories)?

I really need advice on how to show this in black and white, as the comic I'm drawing doesn't have colour.

The more ideas you can offer the better.

Thank you.

- You could draw the image normally, then distort the shape in Photoshop (or a similar program).

- The scene could be depicted as a photo negative.

- You could make the imagery more surreal looking. This would be particularly useful if your comic is drawn realistically.

- The action could take place in the main character's eye.

- You could have the unwanted or repressed trauma intrude on the character's real life by forcing itself into certain scenes. Here's an example:

Panel 1: Bob enters the kitchen where his girlfriend, Karen, is making dinner. Bob's fingers are pressed into the inside corners of his eyes as if he's trying to pinch away a bad headache.

Karen (from off panel) - Hey, Baby! How was your day?

Bob - I don't know... I just keep having this weird feeling that... I don't know.

Panel 2: Over Bob's right shoulder, Karen stands drenched in blood, her head at an impossible angle. The kitchen is gone, replaced by fithy blood-soaked walls that give the impression of a hospital hallway.

Karen - Poor baby.
SFX- Karen's dialogue is visually distorted and spattered.

Panel 3: Close up of Bob's face - he is shocked and disgusted.

Bob - Ahhhhh!!

Panel 4: Reconstruction of Panel 2 - over Bob's shoulder - Karen is now in a sunlit (albeit a diffused, evening light), friendly kitchen, the blood is gone and she is wearing contemporary clothes with an apron that says "Kiss the Cook". She stands in roughly the same pose as Panel 2, her head cocked to one side in an inquisitive manner.

Karen - Bob, what's wrong!

It's not pretty but I hope you get the idea.

-Dave