PDA

View Full Version : To all those who say the 90s had nothing but crap...

Eugene Selassie
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I was just going through my long boxes...

Anyone remember these classics????

Waid/Garney Captain America
Busiek/Chen Iron Man
Jurgens/Romita Jr Thor
Busiek/Perez Avengers
Loeb/Pacheco FF
Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts
Jimenez Wonder Woman
David/Garza Young Justice
David/Calafiore Aquaman
David/Kubert Hulk
Seagle/Clark Alpha Flight
Waid/Kubert Ka-Zar
Ostrander/Ferry Heroes for Hire
Waid/Ringo Flash
Ellis/Yu Wolverine
Casey/Ladronn Cable
Ennis/McCrea Hitman
Morrison/Millar Aztek
Morrison/Porter JLA
Ordway Power of Shazam

THAT WAS JUST FROM THE BIG 2.

AND IT WAS ALL GREAT.

C_Lawson
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
One of my favorite 90' books was Warren Ellis' run on Hellstorm. Also, the Maxx, arguably the greatest comic series ever, was in the 90's.

Raven
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Waid/Kubert Ka-Zar

AND IT WAS ALL GREAT.

That Alpha Flight series was utter tripe.

Ka-Zar was cool though, I remember all the hype when it came out. Still got the first two issues I think, it was cancelled too soon.

Eugene Selassie
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
That Alpha Flight series was utter tripe.

Ka-Zar was cool though, I remember all the hype when it came out. Still got the first two issues I think, it was cancelled too soon.

WHAT?

It was the first time since the first 24 issues that I cared about these characters. AND GREAT NEW ALPHANS.

Eugene Selassie
07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh, and heres some more.

Jenkins/Lee Inhumans
Ennis/Dillon Punisher
Ennis/Dillon Preacher
Ellis Authority
Busiek/ Grummett Shockrockets
Kelly/Seagle X-men runs
Resurrection Man
Young Heroes in Love

kdmelrose
07-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Starman, by James Robinson and Tony Harris
Chase, by Dan Curtis Johnson and J.H. Williams III

Buckyrig
07-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I liked Starman. :happy:

Paul Sanderson
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Waid/Garney Captain America
Busiek/Chen Iron Man
Jurgens/Romita Jr Thor
Busiek/Perez Avengers
Loeb/Pacheco FF
Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts
Jimenez Wonder Woman
David/Garza Young Justice
David/Calafiore Aquaman
David/Kubert Hulk
Waid/Kubert Ka-Zar
Ostrander/Ferry Heroes for Hire
Waid/Ringo Flash
Ellis/Yu Wolverine
Casey/Ladronn Cable
Ennis/McCrea Hitman
Morrison/Millar Aztek
Morrison/Porter JLA
Ordway Power of Shazam

AND IT WAS ALL GREAT.

Of your list, I personally enjoyed Waid/Garney on Cap, Busiek/Chen on Iron Man (as short as their run together was), Loeb/Pacheco on FF (Loeb didn't do much, Pacheco was pretty much the showrunner then), Jimenez on WW (the best run that series has had since Potter/Wein/Perez), Morrison/Porter on JLA (some great issues there) and Ordway on Power of Shazam. I also enjoyed Jurgens and Ordway on Superman during this time, as well as Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle on Batman.

Eugene Selassie
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Starman, by James Robinson and Tony Harris
Chase, by Dan Curtis Johnson and J.H. Williams III

I deserved to be flogged for forgetting Starman.

Chase was a sleeper hit that should have had a longer run.

Mark Bertolini
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
But remember, the 90s also brought us Youngblood......

Newt
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Youngblood was EXTREME!!!111

BountyHunter
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
I thought Marvel's Darkhawk and Sleepwalker were really good books. I also loved the New Warriors. Better then whats passing for the NW at Marvel nowadays.

buhe
07-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Morbuis the Living Vampire, until they seem to stop caring about the series and let it collapse.

Nomad, who seemed to have gotten the same treatment in the end.

Deathlok

Sandman Mystery Theatre

X-Force had a moment of great stories in the late 90's.

Deadpool

A non-adamantium Wolverine on a journey while recovering from having it ripped out was good.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

Aidy
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Dan Jurgens kicking out the jams on Supes and the JLA
Clairemont and Lee on X-men (oh yes its tight jackets and Xavier shouting "magnus" ever ten seconds)
Legends.
Panic in the Sky...Braniaic turns into Ming, Superman reunites the JLA.
Green Lantern; Emerald Dawn1-2 and End of the road.
Mutant X. I like the character of Havok. but if I re-read it now it'd suck (probably)
Marvels What the! Milk and Cookies!!!!
Warrior....Cos its so stupid.
Booster Gold...My Jurgens soft spot again
Death of Superman.....World without and regin of the Supermen. Fucking totally cool...as was (and I know I'll get shot for this)....
Maximum Carnage But as a kid in England getting is reprinted it was seriously cool to see Spiderman team up with Venom, Captian America, Powerfist and Dethlok to defeat Carnage and his cronies.
Oh and Marvel UK's excellent Overkill...and where would we be without that? Its the comic that brought us Killpower and Motormouth

The DarkMind
07-09-2008, 09:22 AM
who said the 90's had nothing but crap? :huh:

WSSmith
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Think I have almost every run you guys mentioned. In fact just pulled Power of Shazam, reread Azteck Millar's run, Shockrockets, Cap America by Waid and Garney, and Cable by Casey/ Ladronn from my long boxes and reread. 25 years straight of comic collecting has left me with a few back issues. Then had to pull Maximum Carnage for my 25 year old brother, it's his favorite. Took me forever, forgot about how many Spidey books there were!!! Love the 90's!! It's my hobby though, helps me relax, kinda like stamps or baseball cards for some.

I loved Nomad, must underrated book of its time!!

Has anyone done anything w Killpower in this century?

Aidy
07-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Most of us...at some point have said that the 30's,40's,50's,60's,70's,80's,90's and the current decade have all sucked for comics. :banana: mainly because we're idiots who moan.

Aidy
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Think I have almost every run you guys mentioned. In fact just pulled Power of Shazam, reread Azteck Millar's run, Shockrockets, Cap America by Waid and Garney, and Cable by Casey/ Ladronn from my long boxes and reread. 25 years straight of comic collecting has left me with a few back issues. Then had to pull Maximum Carnage for my 25 year old brother, it's his favorite. Took me forever, forgot about how many Spidey books there were!!! Love the 90's!! It's my hobby though, helps me relax, kinda like stamps or baseball cards for some.

I loved Nomad, must underrated book of its time!!

Has anyone done anything w Killpower in this century?

I hope and dream that Killpower does a crossover with Wolverine...so he can cut that gibbon tail off. I very much doubt that anyone has even thought about the big red spazz. Much less plans to do anything with him.

The DarkMind
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Most of us...at some point have said that the 30's,40's,50's,60's,70's,80's,90's and the current decade have all sucked for comics. :banana: mainly because we're idiots who moan.

probably because too many fail to think before blasting a particular era. each decade laid the ground work for the next.

Calloway
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Youngblood was EXTREME!!!111

No, Youngblood: Extreme was extreme

Don't forget

Bone: Jeff Smith

Stray Bullets

Mark Bertolini
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I remember digging the Death's Head mini, where it had the alternate future where Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, and Captain America were freedom fighters, and Mr. Fantastic had been melted down and existed inside a big glass bubble.

Aidy
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I remember digging the Death's Head mini, where it had the alternate future where Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, and Captain America were freedom fighters, and Mr. Fantastic had been melted down and existed inside a big glass bubble.

Indeed Mark.
When they fight the original death's head's body because it became corrupted and ovethrew the world. Daredevil had a beard and was best friends with a re-formed Rino. And yes, Reed was play dough. Classic story. Wolverine lost a claw on Death's Head 2's metal arm, beacuse he's 10000 times more bad ass than any short canadian could ever hope to be. And they all got killed and we laughed. Yeah man the 90's ruled. Where's my gatefold?

Aidy
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
probably because too many fail to think before blasting a particular era. each decade laid the ground work for the next.

well....durh! :blink:

The DarkMind
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
well....durh! :blink:
:slap:

sometimes the obvious needs to be stated :p

Aidy
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
we dont have time to be obvious we're too busy saying something sucks. :slap:

The DarkMind
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
:laugh:

patchesk83
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Earth X also came out in the late 90s. That whole trilogy was pretty awesome.

Eugene Selassie
07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Dan Jurgens kicking out the jams on Supes and the JLA
Clairemont and Lee on X-men (oh yes its tight jackets and Xavier shouting "magnus" ever ten seconds)
Legends.
Panic in the Sky...Braniaic turns into Ming, Superman reunites the JLA.
Green Lantern; Emerald Dawn1-2 and End of the road.
Mutant X. I like the character of Havok. but if I re-read it now it'd suck (probably)
Marvels What the! Milk and Cookies!!!!
Warrior....Cos its so stupid.
Booster Gold...My Jurgens soft spot again
Death of Superman.....World without and regin of the Supermen. Fucking totally cool...as was (and I know I'll get shot for this)....
Maximum Carnage But as a kid in England getting is reprinted it was seriously cool to see Spiderman team up with Venom, Captian America, Powerfist and Dethlok to defeat Carnage and his cronies.
Oh and Marvel UK's excellent Overkill...and where would we be without that? Its the comic that brought us Killpower and Motormouth

You joking??

Aidy
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
You joking??

Yeah I wrote all of that out as a joke. Come on then...lets hear it? :whistlin:

Eugene Selassie
07-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought Marvel's Darkhawk and Sleepwalker were really good books. I also loved the New Warriors. Better then whats passing for the NW at Marvel nowadays.

F'n A.

New Warriors. Duh.

One of my fav runs ever. Why the hell did they not let Nicieza write this newest relaunch?

His 75 issue run was great sales wise.

All subsequent relaunches have been failures sales wise and critically panned in most cases.

Mark Bertolini
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
You know what did suck? Guardians of the Galaxy.

However, I am into the new launch they're doing w/ Quasar, Space-Lord and crew.

Eugene Selassie
07-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Quasar...eeehhh.

PLEASE bring back Wendell Vaughn...

THAT Quasar, another great 90s series.

Calloway
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Says you. I loved the Valentino run

Spiderman 2099 was a pretty good series. It was Batman beyond before Batman beyond.

Aidy
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
spiderman 2099 had rollerblades in his "booties"
and the future asgardians sucked ass. Although Doom 2099 ruled. as Doom does.

Buckyrig
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM

It seems to be an extrapolation on what many would probably agree is the fact that a lot of bad stuff was produced in the 90s and although it may not be any worse than at any other time, some of the trends were lousy.

Plus the market almost went into the crapper.

Nitecrawlah2
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
All great series guys. My affinity for some of those series are merely because I started reading comics back in the early 90s - what fun! One series that will always hold my heart is the Generation X title. Bachalo's stuff was gorgeous, and I loved seeing his transition from the stiffer, though prettier, style he had on the Death series to his more fluid, fun style on this title. The characters were fun and really worked well together. l loved the concept of a team being led by a former villain (White Queen) and a second-tier, though veteran, leader in Banshee. The stories were knee deep in the magical as well as the superhero, and were always fresh for me.

Paul Sanderson
07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
It seems to be an extrapolation on what many would probably agree is the fact that a lot of bad stuff was produced in the 90s and although it may not be any worse than at any other time, some of the trends were lousy.

Plus the market almost went into the crapper.

I think the 90s and the current decade are two of the worse decades for quality comics. That doesn't mean there wasn't quality back then or now, but it's pretty light on the ground.

kdmelrose
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd say that, as a whole, comics have rarely been better than they are this decade.

To each his own, I suppose.

Nick Kerklaan
07-10-2008, 05:16 AM
You joking??

Pssst... you're doing that condescending thing again.

Aidy
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Indeed, whats the point of asking opinion and then telling me i must be joking because what i like wasnt Aztec or the power of Sahzam

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Wow.

Are you seriously accusing me of that for a joke?

And even worse, are you lurking?

You need to get a life.

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Indeed, whats the point of asking opinion and then telling me i must be joking because what i like wasnt Aztec or the power of Sahzam

I start the thread to celebrate the goodness of the 90s and see what trolls and lurkers do to it.
:yawn:

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I think the 90s and the current decade are two of the worse decades for quality comics. That doesn't mean there wasn't quality back then or now, but it's pretty light on the ground.

Whoa, WHOA!!!

Bro, there were some AMAZING comics during the 90s

There were PLENTY of amazing ones this decade as well.

Aidy
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
and i replied that i too enjoyed the 90's. So whats you're problem with my choices?

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
and i replied that i too enjoyed the 90's. So whats you're problem with my choices?

It was a joke.

Sorry I didnt put :har: :p :) :laugh: :cool: :thumbs: all the over the post.

Aidy
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
is telling me to fuck off a joke as well? I'm a little unsure.

kdmelrose
07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Christ, would you two either fight or fuck and get it over with?

:yawn: