PDA

View Full Version : RIP Michael Turner

Dan Hill
06-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Man this has been a crappy year for this kind of thing.

CBR is reporting Michael Turner has died.

He was 37.

:(

I always loved his covers for The Flash. I even have a tee with one of them on.

CBR Link (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16988)

FernanDitto
06-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Man this has been a crappy year for this kind of thing.

CBR is reporting Michael Turner has died.

He was 37.

:(

I always loved his covers for The Flash. I even have a tee with one of them on.

CBR Link (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16988)
I sad,bad new my friend:(
my condolences for family & friends.

knockedoutpanzer
06-28-2008, 06:58 AM
that is just terrible news. He was only 37. My sympathies to his family and friends.

rummblestrips
06-28-2008, 07:38 AM
This is very sad. He was such a nice guy!!!!!!!!
I can't believe I'm not going to see him this year in Toronto or at Pittsuburgh next year.
This stinks!!
All my best to his family and friends. he will certainly be missed :cry: :cry: :cry:

darkwriter
06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Info (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16988)

Far too young imo

DAR
06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
O my god.this is sad news.

Mark Bertolini
06-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Damn....just saw this news. The man fought a long battle with cancer. Rest in peace Mike.

Scribbly
06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Truly sad.

I don't know what else to say.
Condolences to his family and friends.

T.J. May
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Ugh, I only met him once, at the height of his celeb. He was gracious, humble, an old soul, but only 4 years my senior.

Way too young. An enormous loss of talent and more importantly, spirit.

BIGROD
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
:huh: :mad: :( :cry:

Allegory Comics
06-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Holy shit! I knew he had cancer long ago, but I ddn't know it was still so agressive. And a lot of people have crapped on his art, but I've always loved it.

This really sucks! The most shocking creator death since Mike Wieringo!

steveo
06-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, at least he made his mark. Too young to go but at least he found fame and fan adoration before he passed. He knew his fans loved him and he in turn loved them.

My condolences to his family and friends.

SteveO
e3w

theflash
06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
oh wow. my age too. damn. such a good guy and so talented. there may well be no justice in this world.

scherzo
06-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Terrible day. I count myself among his fans. Way too young. :(

-scherzo

MARS
06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow.

That was the last thing i thought i would see waking up this morning.

That's way too young. It's a shame...Cancer man...My condolences to his family and close friends.

It is a wake up call for sure. Live each day man.

M.

Mr.Musgrave
06-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I'll be honest, I've never liked his work. But...y'know...fuck cancer. No one deserves that.

jeffo46
06-28-2008, 12:45 PM
What a sad loss,and at such a young age. He was such an amazing talent with such a zest for life who will be sorely missed.My wife and I send out our condolences to his family and friends.

Lady_Raven
06-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Mike turner lost his battle with cancer last night and has passed away, he will be missed.

hardinart
06-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Man cancer is a mother effer. 37 is way too frigging young.

sebzero11
06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
My god, man. That's tragic.
What a hell of a thing to go through.

RIP, Mike.

Calloway
06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
He had it again?

A lot of fans he had will be upset for sure.

jeaf7
06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Ya, just saw that on Tim Townsends page...very sad..one of the best artist ever...http://timtownsend.deviantart.com/art/Godspeed-Mikey-90034731

j giar
06-28-2008, 01:16 PM
My condolences to his family....sad. Very sad. Way to fuckin' young.

Rob Norton
06-28-2008, 01:55 PM
god dammit. god.. dammit...

i liked this guy. i loved his work. his comics were some of the most fun i ever had reading comics, especially on Witchblade, which was where he just exploded in terms of visuall awesomeness.. and the first Fathom series, which i still think of as one of my favorite comic series.

he always seemed to be such a nice cool dude. i never met him, but you never seemed to get the idea that he was some kind of egotistical jerk. just a nice guy that loved doing comics and put forth his best to make the kind of stuff he enjoyed drawing and reading.

this makes me feel so sad. so sad.

fuck...

rob

Calloway
06-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Some last words:

http://www.aspencomics.com/news.asp

Cat
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll be honest, I've never liked his work. But...y'know...fuck cancer. No one deserves that.
you said it all...damn. :man:

I hate cancer.

Mecha
06-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Mike was one of the sweetest, kindest guys I'd ever met in or out of the industry. He was my hero not for his skills as an artist but more for the way he never gave up. One time I asked him.... "man you okay?" And he smiled and said "yeah I'm good" -- he'd just had surgery for more removal 2 weeks prior and was supposed to be in bed. Instead he was signing books at WWLA 2007.

Damn... I'll miss him. Cancer takes the best because nothing else can. I fucking hate it.

ShonInks
06-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Why is it always the great ones that leave us so soon? This is a truely sad day for all his fans, and more importantly his family and friends. My heart goes out to them all.

pi0trov
06-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, he always seemed to be the consummate professional from everything I'd read, and a hell of a nice guy to boot. I really thought he was on the road to beating the cancer. Wish I could have met him once.

R.I.P. Michael

secret-identity
06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
sometimes I loved his art, sometimes I couldn't even like it.. but all of that really doesn't matter now. This really gets me upset :( . No one should have to die, 37 or not. Cancer sucks.

RIP Mike. You'll be missed.

badapple
06-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I just couldn't believe it when I read it!!! :( It's just so sad and hard to accept. He will be missed :(

Jasen Smith
06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
What a shock to me this is. I spoke with Peter Striegerwald a year ago about Turner's condition and he said he was having his off days but is fighting it.
I knew that he didn't have many years left but not this soon, he was way too young.

Turner had a way of staying young and fresh with his art and after he was diagnosed with cancer his art became 100x better in movement and flow. I loved his style during Witchblade, and when he designed Lara Croft with that bikini and shorts, perfect. His water work on Fathom was fantastic, the energy and concepts were brilliant. Then he did work for DC and Marvel and all looked great, along with Soul Fire, which had a great concept and the characters were very cool looking. His designs and concepts will always inspire me as an artist and his spirit will always drive my soul to be a better person.

You'll truly be missed Mike.

Paul Sanderson
06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I, too, was never a fan of his work, but I know he was a lovely person, and nobody deserves the shit that is cancer. It's touched too many of us too often. Way too young to go. My sympathies go out to his family and friends during this difficult time :cry:

Toyandgadgetguy
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
That's sad. Far too young. At least he left his mark.

Troy Wall
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
He was a real talent. I remember back in 2000 reading in Wizard about his initial discovery of the cancer and his fight against it. At that time, the cancer had gone in to remission after extensive surgery and radiation treatment. I've thought he was fully recovered ever since, especially after seeing his work pop up on Big Two covers so regularly.

I had no idea his fight that began in 2000 never ended. Good God. What an oddly peculiar and disturbingly aggressive cancer. :cry:

Mecha
06-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Someone on devart chose this cover by Michael to display as a tribute to him:

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/180/f/b/In_Remembrance_of_Mike_Turner_by_comicbookinker197 1.jpg

Phatman
06-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Very sad.

captainarian
06-29-2008, 01:18 PM
what?

IS THIS SOME KIND OF A SICK JOKE OR WHAT? AN APRIL'S FOOL?
HE CAN'T BE DEAD! :cry:

FUCK!

Mr.Musgrave
06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
He was a real talent. I remember back in 2000 reading in Wizard about his initial discovery of the cancer and his fight against it. At that time, the cancer had gone in to remission after extensive surgery and radiation treatment. I've thought he was fully recovered ever since, especially after seeing his work pop up on Big Two covers so regularly.

I had no idea his fight that began in 2000 never ended. Good God. What an oddly peculiar and disturbingly aggressive cancer. :cry:

It's not really something you completely recover from. Even people who are in full remission have to go back at least once or twice a year for a check-up. Your body is essentially betraying you, sometimes quickly, sometimes over a long period of time.

Erick Cruz
06-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Back at the 06 SDCC i was waiting around the Aspen booth for Michael to show up, he had a scheduled signing coming up, he showed up i wanna say 5-10 minutes before the signing began, i didnt want to get a book signed by him, i had plenty already, i only wanted to talk to him, so i asked one of the girls working the booth if i could have a quick word with Mike, she walked over to Mike and sure enough he came over to where i was, i only wanted to say to Mike that i knew what he was going through because my mother had passed away a couple years before from breast cancer, he then said his aunt had passed away from breast cancer as well.
Anyway my intentions were to just have a few words with him, wish him well on his recovery and to keep on kicking @$$ well as it turns out we kept talking up until the signing was about to begin, that was how grateful a human being he was, forget that his art was great, he was an even greater person, and that's what i'll remember most about Mike, not any particular piece of artwork but that chat i had with him.

He was one of my inspirations and i will honor him by committing myself to the craft and the industry. He shared a passion for both but most importantly he showed a passion for life.

mrbrice
06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
his covers for civil war introduced me to his name and skill. and those covers created the mystique and prestige of civil war. it's good he did such transcendant work before he died. this really goes down tough.

lebeau35
06-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I just returned home from attending WizardWorld in Chicago and while I was walking the floor, this announcement came over the MC.

Damn.

I was fortunate to have met Michael (and Tim Townsend) at a comic shop in Jacksonville, FL during Mike's Fathom Tour. He reviewed my portfolio and gave me really good advice.....which I STILL use 2 this day.

I walked the floor at the con in shock. My girlfriend (who is new to comics) did not realize the loss to the comics community by his passing.

My sincerest sympathy to his family, peers and fans.

I will miss seeing his work and being in awe of him.

Peace,

Le Beau L.

Aidy
06-30-2008, 09:27 AM
We have lost a great artist, spokeman and ambassador and much more importantly a great person.

My one memory of Michael Turner (other than his fantastic covers) will be his ability to still get his work out on time (for three different companies no less!) whilst fighting the cancer. And he always appeared so happy to be working and approached his disease with such pragmatisim. He is truly an insperation.

xaltair
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
His Witchblade art made me stay and keep reading comics...it made me happy to be alive when I was at a bad place in my life. After he left witchblade with number 25th i stopped buying it but i started buying Fathom. I enjoyed his art thoroughly throughout all these years and I also can hardly believe that he is gone.

RIP Mike

maverick
06-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm a big fan of Michael Turner's art. This news is certainly a real bummer.

We were actually having drinks at the Hyatt in Chicago Friday night when I spotted Marc Silvestri. I was actually about to say something to him, but he looked very upset, so I didn't. Then we heard the news the next day and I put two and two together on what was going on.

No matter how you felt about his art, this is a real loss to comics.

HaphazardJoy
06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Too young, especially for a talented guy who would have undoubtedly continued to put art out into the world.

Fred Duran
06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Man, I remember that Wizard ran a piece about his Fathom sketchbook when it was still in the planning stages. I remember laughing when he made a comment about one of the characters, something like "He's cocky, just like most test pilots." I don't know why that made me laugh so hard, but I remember cracking up for a while.

Damn, 37? Way too young. My condolences to his family.

Dan Hill
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Geoff Johns on Michael Turner (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17034)

Big Jay
06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I had the privilege to meet him twice and both times he was the nicest guy, he'll be missed very much...
Godspeed mike..........

onizuka43
07-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I never really like his art, but he was always so nice to his fans and worked so hard even during his fight with cancer that it was hard not to admire the guy and all he had done for the comic community. He's one of the good guys that will be missed for a longtime to come.

Nitecrawlah2
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
He was a really nice guy. I met him at the first con I ever attended (Baltimore 2001) and had a chance to chat for a bit. Like others, I wasn't the biggest fan of his art so I had nothing for him to sign. Nonetheless, he drew me up a quick sketch of Kenneth Irons. I was mostly impressed with the fact that he did it with only the thickest Sharpie marker on the table and managed to make it look gorgeous. Sweet guy, definitely a sad loss.