PDA

View Full Version : New Page - Eternal Descent

JMan
06-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Just finished pg 14 - here it is posted along with 13 so you can get a sense of story instead of just one page. Basically, Sirian the angel has saved Lyra from here plunge into the abyss - but is all well with Lyra?

Once again, Eternal Descent is produced by the London England band by the same name, Eternal Descent - a rock opera metal goth band - check them out here and see for yourselves: http://www.myspace.com/eternaldescent

Appearantly, a few pieces of my artwork are going to start showing up on limited edition guitars, if the deal goes through, with EMP. It's been a good response so far ;)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/JMan0021/ED00113pencils2-1.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/JMan0021/ED00114pencilscopy.jpg

Arne S.
06-11-2008, 05:49 AM
wow, takes us back to the 90s! great rendering and detail!!

sebzero11
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow...
That's some really good lookin' stuff, right there.
I love the amount of detail you've worked in. I'm also highly impressed with the musculature you did for the back of his arms in the last panel.

Little details make me happy.

jeffo46
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
This is a beautifully drawn page.Very tastefully laid out and detailed.My hat is off to you sir! :kewl:

JMan
06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
wow, takes us back to the 90s! great rendering and detail!!

Thanks Arne - are the 90's a good thing? I just love rendering and making stuff look cool.

JMan
06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow...
That's some really good lookin' stuff, right there.
I love the amount of detail you've worked in. I'm also highly impressed with the musculature you did for the back of his arms in the last panel.

Little details make me happy.

Thanks Seb - I want to create work that helps the reader feel involved and 'there' in the story. Hopefully that is coming across.

JMan
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
This is a beautifully drawn page.Very tastefully laid out and detailed.My hat is off to you sir! :kewl:

Much appreciated Jeffo! Thanks for the nod.

midknight
06-21-2008, 02:05 PM
those details are fantastic

MARS
06-21-2008, 02:18 PM
I have two observations.

-I am wondering if the panels are too crammed with details that when it comes time for lettering it will fall over top of the artwork.

If the solution to this problem lies in something like: "The lettering will take place in and outside of panels with tails...It might not read right. But might.

But from my experience...It looks amateurish and usually reads wrong.Comicbook action takes place in panels for a reason.

-Secondly.There's not a lot of variation in the shot selections. The second page has three shots that are laid out the same.

Panels 1,2 & 4 and the last kinda sorta follows the trend. I'd try to mix it up more.

UNLESS the script called for it that way- then i feel the problem might be in Page layout and a grid needs to be in place.

Good stuff. Good luck.

M.

RonaldMontgomery
06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, beautiful artwork!

JMan
06-22-2008, 11:34 PM
those details are fantastic

Ha ha - Thanks! I am a detail fiend, but try to put things in to enhance the story/environment rather than doing it for the sake of 'detail'.

JMan
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I have two observations.

-I am wondering if the panels are too crammed with details that when it comes time for lettering it will fall over top of the artwork.

If the solution to this problem lies in something like: "The lettering will take place in and outside of panels with tails...It might not read right. But might.

But from my experience...It looks amateurish and usually reads wrong.Comicbook action takes place in panels for a reason.

-Secondly.There's not a lot of variation in the shot selections. The second page has three shots that are laid out the same.

Panels 1,2 & 4 and the last kinda sorta follows the trend. I'd try to mix it up more.

UNLESS the script called for it that way- then i feel the problem might be in Page layout and a grid needs to be in place.

Good stuff. Good luck.

M.

Whew! thanks Mars - great points, and your suspicions are true - the script is very dialogue light, and very repetitious in panel selections (a lot of 'same as panel 1', 'same as panel 3' and so forth). Hopefully the end product speaks for itself and all blends nicely together.

When I do layouts, I do usually drop in the dialogue baloons as I see them flowing through the page and that helps lead the panelization - trying to marry the art with the word. I can always do better - great points!

JMan
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, beautiful artwork!

Thank you sir! Can't wait to see this baby on the stands :)

Hatchetman
06-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Holy Top Cow!

Yeah, 2nd page is all very static... kinda a let down from the super dynamic intro.

There is a couple of tangent lines that bug me though. When he's walking through the door, his wing and the door are too simillar. Also, the right spire of the church -panel 3- runs into the building in the prior panel. Checking the angles, it turns out becuase it's crooked.

Killer perspective. Killer wrinkles. I applaud your patience.