PDA

View Full Version : Comics Crisis

Aidy
06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I think I'm having a comics crisis...

I'll explain: On saturday I went to my local Forbidden Planet to pick up my pull list and the usual Stuff they forget to pull for me. I dropped 40.00 on the counter and left with a big bag full of stuff. But seeing as I was missing Secret Invasion 3...i crossed the road and went to Travelling Man (another chain) and got Issue 3, Green Arrow and Black Canary 7 + 8 for my girl and Survival Run 4+6 which I was also missing....that was another 8.00. Now the price is one thing....But after a Saturday of musical ambition...I returned to my humble flat on Sunday ready to get balls deep in comics....

But the love may have gone....Giant Sixed Astonishing X-Men -which I was told would blow me away....was dissapointing end to a series I'd gotten lukewarm about 6 issues ago...and Trinity didnt raise any pulses.....I'm starting to feel less and less arsed about the majority of comics that I buy..New Avengers still rules, but my beloved X titles are just starting to get boring to me...every 12 months Xavier get incapaciated and removed from leadership....and the team undergoes a "drastic" change....next stop San Fransico.....
And the Crisis-a-thon at DC...I didnt really care for the first issue of "Final Crisis"...maybe i'm just tired of big events and tie-ins.....Or maybe i need a good story in trade form to get the blood rushing about these jaded veins. I was giddy about richard Donner on Action comics...but that was like 7 issues and an annual....boo. the only thing I truley look forward to nowadays is Booster Gold....And I'm wondering how long that will continue....I'd guess until Geoff Johns leaves....unless Giffen and Demattis take over.

Anyone have any thoughts or been through a similar low point? I Love my comics but I'm struggling to keep my intrest levels up.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Green Lantern.

Aidy
06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of Hal Jordan....I prefer Guy Gardener...so i get the Corps. and even this isnt burning as brightly as it did....

kdmelrose
06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Maybe it's time you took a break from superheroes -- or at least superheroes whose books are intertwined with 157 other titles.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Try some of the Image books. Or pick up a book on a whim. There is plenty of stuff outise of Marvel and DC.

Aidy
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
thats the big issue isnt it....I've tried Wild Storm (other than the Authority I didnt care), Vertigo (back in the Preacher, sandman, Trans Met days) which I loved but all the series have now ended, and Boom Studios (had Giffen before he signed his exclusive at DC).

I wont on principle buy anything McFarlane has a hand in...because I dont like him, his art or his politics.
I dont really dig things like 100 bullets, I've read some and it wasnt for me....maybe Y:the lastman is the way forward....

I love superheros..but the constant concepts and tie-ins are leaving me jaded.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
What about some of the books from people here?

Aidy
06-09-2008, 12:56 PM
hmmmm....you know of any that are good?
I'm willing to give anything a go at the moment. Except full on homosexuality. I'm not into that....sorry guys. Notice how i said "full on"....I meant "any"

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Fist of Justice
Bloodrayne
Warmaggedon
Shadowflame
The list is very long.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Here is a thread that I think should have more posts.

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119744

Aidy
06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
There not jumping out at me....but i'll give a few a go....Fists of justice? Sounds fun...
Its a crazy, scary world outside the big 2 publishers.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Shadowflame 1 (http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=2006)

Aidy
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Okay dude...I'll try out your comic...cheers for pointing me in some directions...

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Not my comic, yet I have no problem pimping others stuff.

Mwynn
06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
http://digitalwebbing.com/comics/

Nick Kerklaan
06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
New Vertigo series House of Mystery, which I pimped in another thread, is shaping out so far to be pretty good. And there's a new Vertigo "sampler" trade, First Cut, which contains the first issues of 7 different recent-ish Vertigo series. What's more, it costs about $5.00. There's some good stuff in there, all very different. You're bound to like at least one.

Nick Kerklaan
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh, yeah, also: read Noble Causes. It's an Image book. It's superheroes. It's really, really, good.

knockedoutpanzer
06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I think you just want a change. What about sci-fi? Metal Hurlant, 2000AD, Proof from Image, Gravel from Avatar, Dark Horse stuff like Star Wars or some Manga might help the jaded comics pallette.

Or as someone said try some stuff from folk here. There's always plenty of independent/small press comics too. :)

Nick Kerklaan
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, you should also read Bone if you haven't yet. Like I mean drop whatever you're doing and go buy the one volume edition. If you have even a passing interest in fantasy, you won't be disappointed.

Ian Ascher
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Aidy....

Try these... some of my current favs...

Fell from Image (when it comes out but theres a TPB)
Casanova from Image (also in TPB)
Criminal from Icon at Marvel (1st series in TPB. 2nd series is current)
Queen & Country from Oni (on hiatus but a new TPB series is being released)
Hellyboy from Dark Horse (current and in TPB)
BPRD from Dark Horse (current and in TPB)

These books are a break from the normal Marvel and DC glut I read every week as well.

Mark Bertolini
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Check out Garth Ennis's The Boys, always the best bang for your buck, AND, unlike many monthly titles, it actually comes out on a monthly basis. Plus art work for Darrick (Transmet) Robertson, you can't miss.

Other good monthlies I'd recommend:

Doktor Sleepless by Warren Ellis
Black Summer (although I'd hardly classify it as a monthly, it comes out fairly sporadically) by again, Warren Ellis.

I'm going to be checking out the new run of Astonishing Xmen, because Warren Ellis is writing it. Bound to be good, weird, but good.

Also, just for fun, and for free, go to www.freakangels.com for some more FREE (did I mention free?) Warren Ellis goodness.

Aidy
06-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Cheers fella's as always you are a source of insperation, wisdom and guidence...except for Mark....

Has anyone here tried Peter David's Fallen Angel? Is that any good?

Hellboy I like but dont own any...

Queen and Country by Mr Rucka? hmmmm...I like his style and the cut of his jib.

I do own some Bone...and probably should get some more.

I'd already signed up to www.Freakangels.com after you posted on here before Mark...

And I'll keep an eye out for House of Mystery...

I'm looking forward to Ellis on Astonishing.

Paul Sanderson
06-10-2008, 06:58 AM
I think I'm having a comics crisis...

I'll explain: On saturday I went to my local Forbidden Planet to pick up my pull list and the usual Stuff they forget to pull for me. I dropped 40.00 on the counter and left with a big bag full of stuff. But seeing as I was missing Secret Invasion 3...i crossed the road and went to Travelling Man (another chain) and got Issue 3, Green Arrow and Black Canary 7 + 8 for my girl and Survival Run 4+6 which I was also missing....that was another 8.00. Now the price is one thing....But after a Saturday of musical ambition...I returned to my humble flat on Sunday ready to get balls deep in comics....

But the love may have gone....Giant Sixed Astonishing X-Men -which I was told would blow me away....was dissapointing end to a series I'd gotten lukewarm about 6 issues ago...and Trinity didnt raise any pulses.....I'm starting to feel less and less arsed about the majority of comics that I buy..New Avengers still rules, but my beloved X titles are just starting to get boring to me...every 12 months Xavier get incapaciated and removed from leadership....and the team undergoes a "drastic" change....next stop San Fransico.....
And the Crisis-a-thon at DC...I didnt really care for the first issue of "Final Crisis"...maybe i'm just tired of big events and tie-ins.....Or maybe i need a good story in trade form to get the blood rushing about these jaded veins. I was giddy about richard Donner on Action comics...but that was like 7 issues and an annual....boo. the only thing I truley look forward to nowadays is Booster Gold....And I'm wondering how long that will continue....I'd guess until Geoff Johns leaves....unless Giffen and Demattis take over.

Anyone have any thoughts or been through a similar low point? I Love my comics but I'm struggling to keep my intrest levels up.

The reason for this feeling is due to the majority of the comics from the majors these days is rubbish, and you're finally cottoning on to this fact. Stop wasting money on things you don't like, stop being a completist, stop rewarding mediocrity and start plunking your hard earned cash on some quality indie fare and maybe on some trades or OGNs instead.

jeffo46
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
This is why I haven't hardly bought any new material since 2002.It seems that everything that comes out today is just re-hashes of stuff that was already done,say 10 to 20 years ago.How many times can you re-invent a character for or have another fucking crisis for chrissakes? I'm sorry to say this,but the state of comic books today,at least with DC and Marvel,is really fucking pathetic.I would just rather stick with collecting back issues and maybe picking up the occasional trade paperback at the public library.

Aidy
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
The reason for this feeling is due to the majority of the comics from the majors these days is rubbish, and you're finally cottoning on to this fact. Stop wasting money on things you don't like, stop being a completist, stop rewarding mediocrity and start plunking your hard earned cash on some quality indie fare and maybe on some trades or OGNs instead.

Christ...you sound like my Dad. It's the completist in me thats driving this wagon......
I cottoned on a bit ago but just said nothing and kept my head down.

Ian Ascher
06-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Fallen Angel is... ok... not Peter's strongest work though.

Keep an eye out for Madam Xanadu from Vertigo too. Matt Wagner (MAGE & Grendel) is always good for myhtological story telling. Plus it's got the Phantom Stranger in it.

Aidy
06-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Fallen Angel is... ok... not Peter's strongest work though.

Keep an eye out for Madam Xanadu from Vertigo too. Matt Wagner (MAGE & Grendel) is always good for myhtological story telling. Plus it's got the Phantom Stranger in it.

I just like the idea of Hitler running a bar i guess.....So some of the DC Magic characters are on Vertigo now? Madam Xanadu? she have no eyes?

Mwynn
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Another DWer book to check out. Crozonia http://www.beach-studios.com/

Aidy
06-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Another DWer book to check out. Crozonia http://www.beach-studios.com/

"The name servers for this domain (crozonia.com) are incorrectly configured. Please contact your domain name administrator for further assistance"

BALLS! looked alright.

Ian Ascher
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I just like the idea of Hitler running a bar i guess.....So some of the DC Magic characters are on Vertigo now? Madam Xanadu? she have no eyes?

The speculation that Hilter is running a bar in this city is interesting but not enough to keep the book going for me.

This Madam Xanadu series takes place in the past, shows her origins and follows her travels with the Pantom Stranger throughout time.

Mwynn
06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
"The name servers for this domain (crozonia.com) are incorrectly configured. Please contact your domain name administrator for further assistance"

BALLS! looked alright.
I sent him an IM stay tuned.

Mwynn
06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
This one works.

http://www.beach-studios.com/crozonia/shop/shop.htm

Nitecrawlah2
06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I was in a lull of sorts with superhero books a few years ago. I was also focused primarily on the "Big Two", but managed to get my interest back up with a few excellent independent reads.

The Walking Dead - Zombies! Everywhere! A fantastic survival story.
Ex-Machina - Great blend of superheroes, politics, scheming, and drama.
Elephantmen - Sci-Fi/Mystery with some neat little noir moments.

Check them out!

Lovecraft13
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
You can always download comics from places like Wowio.com, like mine (http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=4614) for example. It's a free download, and if you hate it, you can simply delete the file.

Paul Sanderson
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
The Wraith #0 (http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=3391) is also available for FREE download on Wowio, and The Wraith #1 and #2 will follow soon.

captainarian
06-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Invincible

Walking Dead.

And The Coming Soon: "gigantic" Must Be Cool!

Mark Bertolini
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I was in a lull of sorts with superhero books a few years ago. I was also focused primarily on the "Big Two", but managed to get my interest back up with a few excellent independent reads.

The Walking Dead - Zombies! Everywhere! A fantastic survival story.
Ex-Machina - Great blend of superheroes, politics, scheming, and drama.
Elephantmen - Sci-Fi/Mystery with some neat little noir moments.

Check them out!

I'll second the Ex Machina vote. Now that Y is all done, this is shaping up to be BKV's top dog.