PDA

View Full Version : COPICS! Or other markers

Calloway
05-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Here's the deal. I am not rich. If I were I wouldn't ask soooooo....

As far as you guys who have done cards, (mainly cat, jedipencil, Renae and Ray) if I were to make a 12 marker or less set what are the essentials for:

Flesh
grey toning

and the other colors that pop up alot (browns?)?

Do prisma colors still do a decent job or am I better off with copic? What's the better marker?

Renae De Liz
05-19-2008, 03:43 AM
Hmmm, I don't know if I 'd ask me :laugh: , i think I use different colors than others and I've sort of floundered my way into anything I do know.

I really feel you with the budget thing, this is a great site for marker sales! CLICK! (http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistCategoriesAndProducts.asp?midCategory=332) the copics are listed at the left and ar around 4.90 each.

We're always broke, but we've hoarded copics over time. We still like the simpler colors crayola and rose-art offer, but there are some copics I'd spree for that are really hard to find elsewhere, so here's my 12

1-4 ALL GRAYS, warm and cool. They have varying shades, but since there's a limit of 12 markers, I find C3,C5,W3 and W5 ( the mid-grays) are most used. They also help distinguish background from foreground when both are used ( does that make sense?)

5. SKIN WHITE ( E00) is an excellent flesh tone

6. SAND (E33) is a great multitasker, it is good for darker skin tones, dirt, trees, or anything on the lighter brown side.

7. BABY BLUE (B21) is so helpful, especially with skies.... and it's hard to find in lesser priced sets.

8. PINK (RV11) is a nice light, subtle shade that is hard to find, and compliments the skin tones well. Also it's subtle enough to be used to warm up another color.

9. GOLDEN YELLOW ( Y17) is fantastic for almost all yellow and gold objects

10. BRICK BEIGE (E31) is a really versatile light brown color that you can use for pretty much anything ( hair, dirt.... brown stuff.... :laugh: )

11. WILLOW (G24) is a subtle gray green color, great for any green needs when you don't want the standard bright green colors on everything

12. PALE LILAC ( V04) or MAUVE SHADOW ( BV00) both are great light purples. Mauve Shadow is more of a gray-purple, I like to use it to make other colors recede.

You'll pretty much do well with any lighter shade. They're just hard to find elsewhere. I use sharpies or Faber Castle brush pens for blacks, it's cheaper. Others use the colorless blender a lot. I have one but I rarely use it.

I also like Prismas, the only reason I like copic better is because of the brush tip, refills, and that awesome little airbrush attachment!

Sorry if I rambled a bit....I've been doing that a lot :blink: Ummm .... hope it helps.

Calloway
05-19-2008, 10:42 AM
It does, gracias!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I use watercolor whenever I can, but have caved and got some Copics. They sure save time, but don't give the same feel. The two sets I have are the grey sets - warm, cool, neutral and Toner. The toner greys suit me well. The color set is a flesh set, and Nae said it all better than I can.... Now I have to find refills that ship to canada.

I still like my prisma colors...

NGoff
05-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Great question and just in time LGM! Thanks. :har:

And of course thanks a bunch naenae! That helps me since I'm in the middle of picking up straglers to have with my 72 set I just picked up online from DickBlic...http://www.dickblick.com/zz221/11/ ...to start on a FFSC set. I want to aviod too many trial and errors. :laugh:

$4.68 a marker! Of course consider SH....but if you spend over certain amount you save...etc.

-Nicole =)

Calloway
05-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I decided to go prismacolor because of cost and I used them back in college. However, what are the flesh tone colors? I got sand and it's a bit too brown and a bit too dark.

Cat
05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I decided to go prismacolor

http://www.imgdump.info/data/media/46/You%20Fail.jpg

NGoff
05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
:laugh:

Calloway
05-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I fail? :( But but, have you tried the new series of premiere?

Actually it boiled down to cost right now. I didn't notice much of a difference in the markers at hobby lobby so I figured I'd save that buck a marker. Grabbed four. Their all too dark.

I can't or don't know how to air brush so the benefits of the great Copic maybe lost to me.

Here's what I want to do with the markers. Lay flats and go back over with depth using colored pencils.

I do need to know what the closest colors to skin prisma has though.

Cat
05-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I can't or don't know how to air brush so the benefits of the great Copic maybe lost to me.

What does that have to do with anything? They are two totally different media.

besides..Copics pay for them selves once you get a refill..so you end up paying for two markers(the original and the refill) and get to use it over the span of 10+.

Calloway
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
What does that have to do with anything? They are two totally different media.

besides..Copics pay for them selves once you get a refill..so you end up paying for two markers(the original and the refill) and get to use it over the span of 10+.

somebody told me copics were good with airbrushes too? The only one up I saw over prisma so far.

maybe the refills too...how do you refill the marker?

Cat
05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
They have an airbrush can and brush..but I have never used it...

as for refilling..
http://www.copicmarker.com/art/refill_howto.gif

also..you can get replacement nibs should they wear out. So you really only buy the marker one time.

Calloway
05-24-2008, 12:00 AM
If I can get more work (more money) I'll definitly get them. Right now Prisma is all I can really afford.

Ugh, I shoulda grabbed the 4 copics...:(

HEY! I could still grab copic skin tones!

Cat
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
plus..Copics sell these bad boys..

http://www.carpediemstore.com/categories/largepic/60.jpg

and the variety of colors are amazing..just and FYI..the Earth tones are where you get allot of the basic skin tones

http://www.carpediemstore.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=24

Calloway
05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
plus..Copics sell these bad boys..

http://www.carpediemstore.com/categories/largepic/60.jpg

and the variety of colors are amazing..just and FYI..the Earth tones are where you get allot of the basic skin tones

http://www.carpediemstore.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=24

are the colors on that site true to the markers?

I wonder if anyone has an example of a skin tone and what color they used for it.

Renae De Liz
05-24-2008, 05:54 AM
If I can get more work (more money) I'll definitly get them. Right now Prisma is all I can really afford.

Ugh, I shoulda grabbed the 4 copics...:(

HEY! I could still grab copic skin tones!

Dang! Sorry those prismas didn't work at all! :( What colors did you get?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I bought a box of second hand Prismas last year - a whole bunch of 'em - and I still prefer certain colors over Copics, BUT the refill thing is great, cuts cost enormously, because Prismas don't last long and when you have a lot of work in front of you, that is a MAJOR issue. Nae gave you some good skin colors, Greenie..... it also depends on how you like to portray skin. The ones that came in my set include: raw silk, fruit pink, yellowish skin pink, flesh pink, flesh (personally, I don't use the ''flesh'' colors much, they are not the way I see flesh)..... but you know, any one will work if you get your values down...... :)

And nothing beats paint. :)

Calloway
05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Dang! Sorry those prismas didn't work at all! :( What colors did you get?

Sand sable was supposed to be my skin tone. However it's darker then the sticker shows and what I did in my little notebook at the store. It's more brown then anything.

The others were Mocha light, light peach and Cinnamon toast (which taste nothing like cinnamon toast crunch, even after licking it 5 times!).

Calloway
05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
And nothing beats paint. :)

Agreed, but me and cards with watercolor don't have a good past.

On a related note I just bought gesso canvas that you can supposedly do water colors on.

Cat
05-24-2008, 11:27 AM
OK..before and after ..or under drawing and finished

Ok.Marion and Indy both have the same basic colors.

Under drawing is a series of blue violets..I like to do this but you probably don't have too. Colors are brick beige, dull ivory, barley beige, sand, sand white, skin white, fruit pink, putty, blush, flesh, and light tea rose(give or take a few more ). Black and retouch with the BV's then white for highlights.

http://www.airbrushcat.com/Indy/IR4under.jpg

http://www.airbrushcat.com/Indy/IR2under.jpg

Calloway
05-24-2008, 11:41 AM
That is extremely helpful cat! Thanks!

Don Pedicini Jr.
05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I agree with the Copic route. The refills so make up for buying Prismacolors all the time plus you can be so much more painterly with Copics then Prismacolors. I started with the grey wallet then I got the 72B set then the flesh wallet now I am working on individuals....

geckochan
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
A lot of people certainly do swear by their Copics. I know they're awesome and all, but it's honestly not like someone's a total loser if they don't have Copics. I've never had any (don't really use markers enough right now to warrant it, but maybe I'll try a colour or two at some point), but I do have a nice set of the newer model Tria's ("architecture" colour set), plus a bunch of loose older Letraset ProMarkers - I find the new Tria's very nice and soft -really like them, plus I throw a bunch of stuff at whatever I'm colouring - markers, pencil crayon, paint, whatever works, so for me what I have is perfectly adequate.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I have a few grey tone Staedler Mars Graphic 3000 Duo (what a long name!) markers, and they blend really well and have a very flexible tip despite being very inexpensive. Not sure what the colours are like though.

Calloway
06-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I checked the price of refills. Now how many refills can you get out of one refill package? Because the prices I've seen are the same price as the marker.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I think 5 or 6 refills. Makes it a pretty good deal. I've just gotten some refills for the first time, so one day I'll let you know how many I got out of it.... :)

Biofungus
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
The sketch markers are 3cc's of ink each, the refills hold 25cc's of ink.