PDA

View Full Version : controlled splatter/spray

The Joker
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
this may be a dumb question but i didnt know where else to put it.
Is there any specific tools or tricks to create a splatter/dust like effect and how is it done exactly ?
heres what im talking about (the last panel especially)
http://comicartfans.com/Images/Category_158/subcat_2856/bachalo-shade-44p23-detail.jpg
sorry if this is in the wrong place or if theres already an answer for this...

Calloway
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Masking tape and a toothbrush my friend. Load the brush with ink or acrylic white and rub your thumb back on it to get it to splatter correctly.

Biofungus
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Masking tape? No. Too sticky. Artists tape, or drafting tape (look *specifically* for "low tack")

The Joker
05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Masking tape and a toothbrush my friend. Load the brush with ink or acrylic white and rub your thumb back on it to get it to splatter correctly.
how much ink does it take ? knowing the art of getting huge amounts of toothpaste in the bathroom mirror, i'd think it would take a pretty hefty amount of ink for one panel or am i wrong ? I know next to nothing of inking.... :slap:

Newt
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
The more ink you use, the bigger the droplets will be; if you just barely moisten the bristles with ink, you'll get a super-fine spray. Just get some paper, ink, and an old toothbrush and practice; there's really no other way to learn the technique.

Calloway
05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to have a splatter board off to the side. I'd load up half way, do a test splatter and if it was too much just keep splattering til i got the right amount.

Bio's right on the tape. Masking fluid maybe useful as well but I have a difficult time applying it properly on my paintings.

The Joker
05-09-2008, 10:54 AM
thanks man :banana: