PDA

View Full Version : First comic you ever read

Mark Bertolini
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm sure there were some before this, but the first comic I ever remember reading and understanding was from the original Larry Hama GI Joe run, the issue where "Snake-Eyes Gets a New Face" (can't remember the issue #). I was in fourth grade, and was a huge GI Joe fan from the cartoon, and when I saw Joe comics, it blew my seven-year-old mind.
I started collecting comics that day and haven't stopped, and I'm 29 now.

Please, share your story. It's story time here with Uncle Mark. Go ahead, don't be shy...

Nick Kerklaan
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
This is going to sound incredibly lame, and my memory's not perfect, but I'm fairly certain it was probably an Archie Comics digest. We always had craploads of those lying around cause my mom would buy them for us whenever she'd go to the supermarket, or we'd go to garage sales and get like 20 really old ones for a dollar, or whatever it was. Anyway we had a lot of Archie. So much so that I named our dog Archie when I was thirteen. True story.

Aidy
04-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Batman and Superman in a comic I think it was a Detective Comics issue....Its not a uk reprint. But.....the art was Neil Adams...of that I'm 100% sure. But I was like 5 or something and it was well over my head.

then I just got the Beano.

Ian Ascher
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I want to say it was an Archie book of some type.

I also remember a Green Lantern issue from very early on where Hal was stranded on a yellow desert planet with no ring power while several other Lanterns tried to steal super rings with no weakness from the Guardians Vault.

First issue I bought w/ my own money: CRISIS on Infinite Earths #12

Mike225
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
The first comic I really remember reading was an issue of Amazing Spider-Man that had him fighting the Spot. I don't know how many times the Spot has appeared, but this one would've been from the mid-eighties.

L Jamal
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
FF #306

hardinart
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Amazing Spider-Man Annual # 11? With a Tony Stark form the future that was a villain. Cool stuff.

Eugene Selassie
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
My fav character...IRON MAN #225 part 1 of Armor Wars

Also with that batch I got Captain America part 3 of the Bloodstone Hunt

Green Lantern #200

Watchmen #2

GOOD BATCH IF YOU ASK ME

carynord
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
The first comic I can remember is some kind of John Carter of Mars comic.

The first one I ever bought was Classic X-Men #1.

Eugene Selassie
04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
THE MOST UNDERRATED DD RUN...

Kesel/Nord...

:har:

JamieRoberts
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Transformers (UK) #4

The Dag
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
DP7

pi0trov
04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
First read was probably a Disney or Looney Toons comic...

First one bought off the rack was Amazing Spiderman Annual #16. The first appearance of the "new" Captain Marvel, guest starring the Avengers and FF. Still have it - Great stuff. :)

The Spirit
04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Probably Richie Rich, but the first i really remember was MTU 61
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/marvel-team-up/61-1.jpg

Scott Story
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
My memory is a little shoddy, but I think it was around 1971, and I kind of remember the Fantastic Four encountering the Hulk in a cave, and the Thing and Hulk mixed it up. It was an old issue, kind of beat up, but I was mesmerized. I keep thinking it could have been an issue of Superman Family, but I doubt it because I don't think DC started publishing that yet.

kdmelrose
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
My memory of this changes, but it was either a Harvey comic (Hot Stuff, Casper or Richie Rich), or my cousin's Fireside Books collection of the first 10 issues of The Fantastic Four.

The Spirit
04-29-2008, 06:00 PM
My memory is a little shoddy, but I think it was around 1971, and I kind of remember the Fantastic Four encountering the Hulk in a cave, and the Thing and Hulk mixed it up. It was an old issue, kind of beat up, but I was mesmerized. I keep thinking it could have been an issue of Superman Family, but I doubt it because I don't think DC started publishing that yet.A reprint of this maybe?
http://www.samcci.comics.org/fantasticfour/ff012.jpg

UNCTarheel
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Carl Barks Donald Duck - the Golden Dinosaur reprint from sometime in 79! Still have it to sitting in my bathroom! First Super hero comic Joker #7 by Elliot S! Maggin. also in my bathroom, where Lex and Joker switch personalities Lex is insane while Joker's a genius.

armornsilverstreak
04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm sure there were some before this, but the first comic I ever remember reading and understanding was from the original Larry Hama GI Joe run, the issue where "Snake-Eyes Gets a New Face" (can't remember the issue #). I was in fourth grade, and was a huge GI Joe fan from the cartoon, and when I saw Joe comics, it blew my seven-year-old mind.
I started collecting comics that day and haven't stopped, and I'm 29 now.

Please, share your story. It's story time here with Uncle Mark. Go ahead, don't be shy...

My first comic was the giant sized GI JOE #1, (penciled by Buscema I think?) with the cut out coupon for the special edition "hooded Cobra Commander" My older bro collected the Cobra's so of course he cut it out.

BTW, that storyline with snake eyes is my all time fave. Just re read it not too long ago.

Newt
04-29-2008, 06:23 PM
How can you guys remember these things?

I have vague memories of reading scattered issues of Superman, Silver Surfer, FF, etc., but which actual issues they were? Forget it. And I'm not nearly as old as most of you codgers. :nyah:

L Jamal
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
How can you guys remember these things?
We Just Said No

Newt
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Pfft. You're high right now, aren't you? It's OK, we won't judge you.

Ian Ascher
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
There was a coverless reprint of FF #1 in my 1st grade class room's magazine pile.

I remember finding it and reading it every day for probably two weeks during free reading time.

Eventualy the teacher discovered me reading it and took it away.

:(

ponyrl
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Dp7.http://www.newuniversecomics.com/images/dp_7_1.jpg

Paul Sanderson
04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I can't be sure at this juncture, but I think it was either an old Superman or an old Batman/Detective Comics. I was really into those old Curt Swan Supermans and Englehart/Rogers/Conway/Newton/Novick/Chua et al Batmans.

Scott Story
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
A reprint of this maybe?
http://www.samcci.comics.org/fantasticfour/ff012.jpg

That was it! Ah, the memories. It wasn't a reprint. My cousins were much older than me, and they had a trunk of old Marvel comics. I read many of them. I think it was Buscema's original Avengers run that made me think about the art, as such.

I wish I'd gotten my hands on that trunk of comics! But, alas, it was not to be.

Mike225
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
I can't be sure at this juncture, but I think it was either an old Superman or an old Batman/Detective Comics. I was really into those old Curt Swan Supermans and Englehart/Rogers/Conway/Newton/Novick/Chua et al Batmans.Have you read any since then? :laugh:

MARS
04-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Broad and 66th i think @ 7-11?

It was near an old folks home and a gas station (if that makes any sense).

It was an UNCANNY X-MEN with Claremont and Cockrum- i don't remember the number but i remember Black Tom Cassidy being in it.

I still remember digging all the characters because they were all ethnic looking.I feel in love with them.

M.

jeffo46
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I still have my first comic that I read.It was Fantastic Four No.48,the start of the Galactus trilogy.I was 6 years old,and just learning how to read when my mother bought it for me at the local drug store.This was before specialty shops came around mind you.

Troy Wall
05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I know it was 1992 and I was either in the third or fourth grade, so I would have been like nine or ten.

A kid that had recently moved to town brought a huge box of comics to school to share with everyone. His uncle owned a comic shop in the town he'd moved from. I remember getting Guy Gardner #1 and Spider-Man 2099 #1 for sure.

captainarian
05-01-2008, 02:35 PM
WHEN THE american guys left our house after the revolution, they left their magazines with my grandfather... appearantly they had a doughter who read comics back int he 70s...so when i was 8 or 9 i found those comics in my grandpa's library, let's say... 30 years later... and they were...

i don't know...IT HAD NO NAME it was this big comic magazine wich was black and white, it had a selection of starwars and rocky and some back ups in it...plus twilight zone, those were among the first, but the first comic i could actually atleast undrestand a few words from (because i was a kid and i had just started taking english calsses) was ARCHIE DIGEST books wich also belonged to the same girld, after that i dound more comics in my grandpa's library, snoopy, dennis the manace, spy vs spy, sadly i lost them. they were classic.'
but i t was archie allright..

the first action comic i read was hulk, from 1997 when he had taken florida hostage, (hulk island?) and then came hurricane betty and at the end this hulk from the future came.