PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in a first issue?

Callen493
04-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Just wondering when reading a first issue what usually catches you or makes you come back for more? Also name some first issues you really enjoyed.

The Spirit
04-15-2008, 05:18 AM
I like good characterization. I want to care about the characters from the get go. If not that, a really good mystery to make me want to pick up issue #2 and see what happens. Thunderbolts #1 was a great first ish with the reveal that they were villians at the end, I didn't see it coming and was shocked and pulled in. RASL #1 by Jeff Smith was good, the main character seems to be a despicable type character but the mystery surrounding him makes me want to keep reading. The Twelve #1 had me engaged because of the characterization and relationships with the characters, also the handling of what could be a very cliche story.

quantum1019
04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Substance. If a first isue is too decompresed to feel like anything more than the first scene of a story, I'm not coming back for issue 2. There has to be enough to keep me interested. Good writing and art are essential too of course, but I shouldn't even have to mention that.

JamieRoberts
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Not to sound too cryptic, but I have to feel like the creators care about the characters and the story, that they're firing on all cylinders. That's easier to achieve with a writer/artist. For example, one of the best first issues I've read in ages is Young Liars. Lapham created a world and characters and seems to really give a toss what happens to them.

Either that, or like The Spirit said, a mystery or a shock reveal or something. Thunderbolts #1 was indeed a great opener. So was Peter David's Captain Marvel #1 during the whole U-Decide thing.

MARS
04-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm gonna say:

Set-up. Characterization. Cliff hanger.

In that order hopefully. i'm big on character stuff if done right.

Off the top of my head--- The last first Issue that had all of that was GIRLS. by the Luna Brothers.

Loved it.

M.

Callen493
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
How'd you feel about the last issue of GIRLS?

MARS
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
How'd you feel about the last issue of GIRLS?

Honestly?

I was sorta kinda sorta disappointed.

But i was disappointed with the last episode of Buffy too. And Twin Peaks.But every time i see an episode i'm hooked all over again because of the characters.

i would have did things differently for sure. It was very "hollywood bullshit ending" stuff.

BUT then again...alot of folks like that stuff so thta could be just me. But it didn't change the fact that the first issue and the rest of the ride was fun times and a great read.

M.

Troy Boyle
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey everybody! Please consider purchasing my first solo title from Dimestore Productions! PINNACLE (http://www.dimestoredistro.com/mysteriousvisionsanthology8-p-1001.html?zenid=7lg1hruqmpspca2hvfq1dtmi14) tells the story of an average man who is gifted with incredible super powers. In a world without super-heroes, will his newfound gift be a blessing - or a curse? A finalist for the 2007 Small Press Idol contest, PINNACLE (http://www.dimestoredistro.com/mysteriousvisionsanthology8-p-1001.html?zenid=7lg1hruqmpspca2hvfq1dtmi14) is brought to you by artist/creator Troy Boyle (me, heh), writer Gary Francis, and inker Tomm Gabbard.

You may be glad to know that this issue #0 contains a setup, background, a climax and a cliffhanger! :p

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/Areophile/CoverColorFinalsmall.jpg

Callen493
04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
don't plug your book this thread u can make your own thread for that

Aidy
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
boobs. first issues need boobs

MAD!
04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
boobs. first issues need boobs

Let me first apologize cause I know you said don't plug your own book, ... but this was too good to pass up. LOL

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd200/Jessie_Garrett/contract01supsiz.jpg

:w00t:

ronin7
04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
The comics I read have to have a solid setting, natural character development, and story flow. Other wise I flip through it and never give it a second thought.

MAD!
04-24-2008, 11:57 PM
The comics I read have to have a solid setting, natural character development, and story flow. Other wise I flip through it and never give it a second thought.

I agree, I was just jesting about the above cover.
I feel the first issue should introduce the characters with enough interaction so that you grasp who they are, at least on a basic level that can be expanded on later. Also it should contain some sort of action or conflict so that the reader can gauge what to expect for these character powers/skills/ problem solving abilities. The setting should be explained as well so that the reader gets a feel for the world in which these new characters live. Lastly it should have a cliff hanger or some sort to lead in to the following issue.

My thoughts anyway...

Aidy
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
i like a bagged crome gatefold cover, with a trade card. And a 90's looking girl with a perm and a leather jacket.

And Tod Mcfarlen.