PDA

View Full Version : youngblood...? questions

random
04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
this is not a rob bashing thread...
I was just curious if anyone could fill me in on some things...
I've read a couple of the YB books (back in the 90's Image days).
supposedly the 'premise' was that YB were heroes, but worshiped like rock stars/athletes .... but did they have any 'real' major plots? Major villians?
The couple books I read were basically fluff. I was just trying to figure out if there was more to YoungBlood then posing .

Mwynn
04-09-2008, 10:43 PM
From what I read not really. I know that Graves, turned out to be the devil. He came back in time to do something because, in the future Chapel kicked him out of hell. So it was pretty much all posing, because Rob could not stick to one idea, or one set of characters.

Mwynn
04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngblood_%28comics%29

Looks like when Alan Moore came on board it did not get better.

In 1998, Liefeld hired Alan Moore to relaunch and revamp Youngblood. Moore's run on the title began with a miniseries entitled Judgment Day, which revolved around the mysterious murder of Youngblood member Riptide and the subsequent "super-trial" of fellow member Knightsabre. The trial was held in Supreme's citadel and conducted entirely by superhumans from all corners of the extended Liefeld comic universe. Soon, the heroes learned of the all-powerful "Book Of All Stories" which dictated the order of the universe, past, present, and future, all of which could be altered by simply writing within its pages. Knightsabre's defense attorney, former super-sidekick Toby King (a.k.a. "Skipper") discovered that Youngblood field leader Marcus Langston, a.k.a. "Sentinel", had murdered Riptide himself, framing Knightsabre - all by using the Book of All Stories. Toby revealed that years ago, Sentinel's father had stolen the Book from Riptide's father, "Storybook Smith", and, thinking it worthless, had left it for his son. Langston created a world full of superheroes in which he was "Sentinel", a brilliant scientist and natural leader. But the young Langston's immature fantasies grew darker, and the future he painted grimmer, full of blood and turmoil. At a Youngblood team cookout, Riptide discovered the Book of All Stories from her parents' tall tales sitting on Sentinel's bookshelf, and took it back for herself. Sentinel responded by killing her, and framing Knightsabre for the crime.
Come on if there was such a book would you leave it on a book shelf?

Mike225
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Moore relaunched Youngblood and only used one of Liefeld's characters. Those were good books, but I think only a few of them came out.

Ian Ascher
05-08-2008, 10:29 PM
The original book was crap. (Although when it came out I thought it was the greatest comic since sliced bread)

There were very few issues produced and what was put out made little sense.

In an interview by current writer Joe Casey and Rob himself, they both make mention that Rob was unfocused and all over the place with more ideas than he was able to manage and get into the book while running the business and being a "rock star" at the same time.

They recently released a GN that takes the original story by Liefeld and not only re-works it but includes unpblished pages that have been sitting in a drawer for years. Panels are moved around in photo shop and dialogue is re-written to give it a better story.

I've not seen this book but it makes me want to check it out.