PDA

View Full Version : I need some serious help

Mic. Gee
02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I recently tried to pose to get the position for a herdsman leaning on a long wooden stick. I based the figure above based on a photo from a head on position. I need the
figure at a 35 degree angle from a head on but the foreshorteniing is really hindering it. The arms and legs are terrible. It just doesn't look right.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6968/thatleaningherdsmanzv8.gif
I feel like I'm only good as my reference. When I cannot reference something properly it's like I can't do shit :(

Mic. Gee
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I need a moderator to delete this quick. I'm clearly making a mockery out of myself here.

Gav Heryng
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Why do you think you're making a mockery of yourself?

Looking at your sketch here, it doesn't look like someone who's casually leaning on a staff, rather it looks as though he's wounded with the pole plunged into his throat.

I think maybe you had an idea in your head of what the pose should look like and tried to create that yourself physically. Find yourself a stick and try to find a comfortable pose with it. The take a photo of that and try to use it as reference.

Now, the most important thing is to get the gesture right, so rather than diving head in with all these sketchy lines just draw him as a stick man first and flesh him out from there. It's okay to be sketchy, but try to erase any unwanted lines along the way, otherwise you end up with a cluttered sketch that distracts you from what you're trying to achieve.

Give that a go and post back and we'll see how we go from there.

Dis