PDA

View Full Version : Non-repro blue pencils?

Fred Duran
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Do any of you use these for perspective/layout stuff (whether or not you intend to ink the stuff later)?
Also, do these come in varying thicknesses (like normal graphite pencils), and do they smudge easily (compared to #2 pencils)?

Thanks

Fred

raya
02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I sometimes use them. The problem for me is that the best kind, Prismicolor, is darker then the other brands, so it's hard to see the pencil lines over it. I eventually want to get this though:

http://www.bluelinepro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BL&Product_Code=AR-BP2376-NPB

Siafu
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I use non photo blue for drawing period. Turquoise is great lead, and the non photo blue leads are great. Last awhile, have to sharpen them a lot if you need fine guide lines. But great none the less.

I'm using pentel's colored leads at the moment. They have a .5 blue lead. It doesn't reproduce at all I've found. Neither does their red lead. Only bad thing about it is, they are (the blue leads) ultra soft and break really easily under even a fairly light pressure. So it does force you to draw with a very VERY feather light hand.

When you go over the pentel's with graphite it makes the graphite slightly darker... if you ink straight over it... eh it looks alright, but if you're a messy artist like me... you're best bet is to draw it in graphite then scan it (save a copy), then ink it.

Fred Duran
02-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the link raya, and for the insight from both of you.

Fred

Siafu
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm sure they have to have a store around your area....
But Dick Blick also carries non photo blue leads such as turquoise. Or, atleast they do in Nebraska.

dickblick.com is the website... have a lot of stuff and going by their price list here... their price for the same box of leads at bluelinepro is 8.49

I'm sure their non photo blues are in the same price range.