PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse Pgs

Nick Pitarra
02-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Some pages from a Dark Horse book I was attached too for about a minute. That is until they saw these pages I turned in,and canned me. I penciled and inked both of these in a 48 hour time period.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4140/zerokillerpg2jy0.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4209/zerokillerpg11fh0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks for viewing,

nick

jimmybott
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Is that Zero Killer?

Sorry to hear they canned you man. Crazy details as ever.

Not a whole lot of room in the live area for word bubbles though. The poses are a tiny bit stiff.

Still a really big fan of your stuff and it's a damn shame you're not doing the book.

Renae De Liz
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :( Did they give a reason?

I love your style, and you get crazy with the background detail, which I greatly admire. I would die of stress if I attemped anything like that :)

Nick Pitarra
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah...it was Zero Killer...there is space for the balloons, they would cover BG details. I got the job based on my portfolio. The editor there is a cool dude and he has been keeping an eye out for something I would be good on. I turned in these charcters sheets, and they really didn't like them,they said they were too flat. And didn't reflect my portfolio. Which I was kind of confused about. They asked me to redo them or to do one page of pencils over the weekend. I really couldn't figure what was wrong with the character sheets,so I told them I'd just pencil and ink 2 pages over the weekend. I changed my style to make it more gritty with these samples,bc they hated the clean line stuff. I've been using clean lines, only using microns,on my last probably 20 sample pages. So I went with a combo of crow quil, and microns.
Here are the microned character sheets...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8564/ramhornjo5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7391/dahliablurredrw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/999/goonsdn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7895/zerotp5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7895/zerotp5.75a9dad5a6.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=520&i=zerotp5.jpg)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3228/starkgo5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It was a learning experience and I"m grateful for the oppurtunity either way. It just sucks to be rejected. I mean,they lined out the contract, mailed me the official dark horse paper and scripts. Sent me welcome aboard emails and everything. I really busted my ass too. A tough learning experince and I'll be better for it. Damn...and freaking Dave Stewart(one of my all-time favs) was the colorist on the project...he would have made my work shine.
Thanks for viewing,
~nick

Nick Pitarra
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
The reasons were flatness, and wonkyness. They thought my faces were wonky and looked flat. Which I understand, the artist on the first issues was a VERY realistic artist...he spotted blacks and was based in realism, where I don't spot blacks and am more of a cartoonist at heart. It would have been a jarring transition. Only I got the work based on my portfolio, and I still feel the work above reflects my portfolio, but I'm obviously biased.

~nick

Wayne Drake
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
hey, THEY'RE LOSS!

2 pages of THAT in 48 hours? Man, you're a machine :har:
I really dig your seth fisher/moebius/geoff darrow influenced style. This is damn good work, period.

cs3ink
02-13-2008, 09:36 PM
There is alot of great stuff here, but the stiffness stood out to me immediately. The hands, the faces, the postures are all so hard. Where a hand or a face are made of pliable flesh, yours look like they're part of VERY detailed mannequins (sp?). In fact, there is really little difference in the stiffness of your settings (which should be stiff, as wood & plaster are), and your characters.

Also, almost no one stands up with a rigid back, & yet all your characters do. They all look like active military standing at attention.

I'm still floored by your detail. I think if you can find the curves of the flesh, you'd be damned near unstoppable.

It must be frustrating to be so close. Hang in there, man. You're damned good.

Later,
Chip

Nick Pitarra
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
There is alot of great stuff here, but the stiffness stood out to me immediately. The hands, the faces, the postures are all so hard. Where a hand or a face are made of pliable flesh, yours look like they're part of VERY detailed mannequins (sp?). In fact, there is really little difference in the stiffness of your settings (which should be stiff, as wood & plaster are), and your characters.

Also, almost no one stands up with a rigid back, & yet all your characters do. They all look like active military standing at attention.

I'm still floored by your detail. I think if you can find the curves of the flesh, you'd be damned near unstoppable.

It must be frustrating to be so close. Hang in there, man. You're damned good.

Later,
Chip

The character sheets are supposed to be straight up and down. They are used to show preportions and refrence when drawing in panels.

Stiffness in the sequentials would be my fault, on the other hand.

Thank you for your crits man, God knows I need them!

~nick

ink4884
02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
that sucks man...good to see you doing so well after our little wildstorm competition though. What else is new with you?

Nick Pitarra
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
that sucks man...good to see you doing so well after our little wildstorm competition though. What else is new with you?

I've got a handful of work lined up for one of the Big 2, but nothing is in contract yet...so I really can't say. Plus I'm working on a killer pitch called Conman, I'm pretty sure we got a shot to get it picked up with a top publisher, the writer and I both know alot of people, the story is really strong, and the art is crazy fun to draw. This Dark Horse gig came and went pretty fast(this all happened in about a weeks time), I had my hopes sooo high, and then just like that, a crushing kick in the nuts.

How about you man? What going on in your world pre-wildstorm competition?

~nick

cs3ink
02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
The character sheets are supposed to be straight up and down. They are used to show preportions and refrence when drawing in panels.

Stiffness in the sequentials would be my fault, on the other hand.

I get that about the model sheets. I was talking about the sequencials only.

You're so close. Hang in there.

Later,
Chip

sevans
02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
It's a shame you didn't get the job, but if they had an existing style in mind, so be it.

The 2 pages that you did were great. I would have picked up the book.
Keep plugging away.

Kris Justice
02-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Very nice, i've always liked your stuff.

Mowgli
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree that the character sheets look stiff. But those pages are very, very good. I think they made a professional mistake in noticing what you could bring to the book. If an artist produced those two pages in 48 hours, I would definitely give him a shot.

I also agree that it is their loss.

Scott Sackett
02-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Nick,

I don't know if you remember me, but in '06 we met at Wizard World Texas. (Your Darrow tribute poster is hanging in my studio!) Dark Horse was there and you told me the editor there liked your work and was going to look for something for you to work on. Is this the same editor?

These pages are very cool and looks like what I've seen of your work, it's strange they didn't know what they were getting? Still your work is quality and something will turn up and when it does you'll blow-up!

Scott

onizuka43
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Man I would have thrown you onto another title, It's a little flat, but nothing that some inks and colors wouldn't fix. Well at least you are working on something else right now, and keeping busy. Your style is alot better then some of the work i've seen on some of the big 2's titles lately so you could do awesome with them. :laugh:

hellblazer72
02-15-2008, 02:35 AM
those are some cool pages.... i think you need to turn up some ned's atomic dustbin and let the hate go before you become one with the darkside...don't use your hate...dddooonnnn''''ttttt

Nick Pitarra
02-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Hey Nick,

I don't know if you remember me, but in '06 we met at Wizard World Texas. (Your Darrow tribute poster is hanging in my studio!) Dark Horse was there and you told me the editor there liked your work and was going to look for something for you to work on. Is this the same editor?

These pages are very cool and looks like what I've seen of your work, it's strange they didn't know what they were getting? Still your work is quality and something will turn up and when it does you'll blow-up!

Scott

Of course I remember you man! Love your artwork too. Yeah...it was the same editor from that con...he's a nice guy, and even told me after this whole situation ended that he would try to get me on an upcoming anthology and some other stuff. I think the hang-up might have been on the writers end(that's a guess). B/C the editor likes my work, but this title is creator owned and therefor the writer is the boss, and he's never heard of me, and already has an idea of what he wants his baby to look like, which I completely understand. I think the editor might have pushed me on it, with the writer not being 100%. Its all good, a great learning experience,plus I got a crap load of Dark Horse Strathmore 500 paper left over! Ha!

Nice hearing from you man...i saw your work earliar, but didn't realize it was you....I've got to go back and comment.

~nick

Nick Pitarra
02-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Man I would have thrown you onto another title, It's a little flat, but nothing that some inks and colors wouldn't fix. Well at least you are working on something else right now, and keeping busy. Your style is alot better then some of the work i've seen on some of the big 2's titles lately so you could do awesome with them. :laugh:

Thanks dude! That means alot...its always nice getting a ego boost,especially after getting a crushing blow like this one!

~nick

Nick Pitarra
02-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I agree that the character sheets look stiff. But those pages are very, very good. I think they made a professional mistake in noticing what you could bring to the book. If an artist produced those two pages in 48 hours, I would definitely give him a shot.

I also agree that it is their loss.

Thanks dude! Atleast you guys noticed the effort, I thought ...hey...even if they were having doubts...doing 2 pages penciled and inked in 2 days...when they only asked for one page of pencils...would be enough to keep them interested...but no dice. And thats why they needed a new artist too, the other guy was missing the bi-monthly deadline, and it had been like 4 months scince he turned anything in. I told them I'd try to do it monthly,to a month and a half an issue (penciling and inking). But...the style difference, and art issues was the deal killer.

Thanks man!

~nick

AndrewChung
02-15-2008, 04:20 AM
All I gotta say is they were crazy for canning you. Flat? This type of style is always going to be 'flat' because it's linework without any spot blacks. I've seen a lot of your work before and I don't see how they couldn't have known this is the type of style you would bring to the table. So I can't imagine your portfolio being different at all.

If this was called flat, Geoff Darrow/Seth Fisher/Frank Quitely art would all be flat. And look where they are. Keep it up man, I'm really rooting for you. I personally love this kinda line art.

I took a look at it again, and probably the angles are a bit flat. But I've still seen a variety of your work to think that it's not a chronic problem. Dynamic angles is something that tons of artists can improve on!

Scott Sackett
02-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I think the hang-up might have been on the writers end(that's a guess). B/C the editor likes my work, but this title is creator owned and therefor the writer is the boss, and he's never heard of me, and already has an idea of what he wants his baby to look like, which I completely understand. I think the editor might have pushed me on it, with the writer not being 100%.

With you work being so stylized I can see a writer being resistant. The plus side is when you do get in, your style will make your work instantly recognizable.

Its all good, a great learning experience,plus I got a crap load of Dark Horse Strathmore 500 paper left over! Ha!

That's awesome! How much did they give you? Did they just send you a big box?

Btw, I was curious if you got paid for any of this?

Nick Pitarra
02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
All I gotta say is they were crazy for canning you. Flat? This type of style is always going to be 'flat' because it's linework without any spot blacks. I've seen a lot of your work before and I don't see how they couldn't have known this is the type of style you would bring to the table. So I can't imagine your portfolio being different at all.

If this was called flat, Geoff Darrow/Seth Fisher/Frank Quitely art would all be flat. And look where they are. Keep it up man, I'm really rooting for you. I personally love this kinda line art.

I took a look at it again, and probably the angles are a bit flat. But I've still seen a variety of your work to think that it's not a chronic problem. Dynamic angles is something that tons of artists can improve on!

Thanks man! And an extra thanks for the crit. I'll keep that in mind...sometimes..especially on deadlines...it's easiar to visualize things dead on/over the shoulder(ala movies), instead of thinking of a cool angle. Definitely going to be working on that.

~nick

Nick Pitarra
02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
With you work being so stylized I can see a writer being resistant. The plus side is when you do get in, your style will make your work instantly recognizable.

That's awesome! How much did they give you? Did they just send you a big box?

Btw, I was curious if you got paid for any of this?

I was scheduled to do about 70 pages of work...3 covers...the trade cover...and 66 sequentials. Judging by the size of the stack of paper he sent....its atleast 60 sheets. Which is awesome b/c 500 cost about 3-5 bucks a sheet depending on where you get it.

Nope I didn't get paid for the work above(unless you count the paper). I had a good pay rate lined up, not Marvel or DC rate, but still fair,plus I got a percentage of backend sales and merchandising/movie sales if that ever were to come into play. Thats the part that stings...I could have used the money.

And I'm still hurting b/c DAVE STEWART was the colorist! He an eisner award winning colorist and an absolute badass. Oh well...maybe next time.

~nick

W. Smith
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Nick...

Sorry to hear you won't be on Zerokiller, it is one of my faves right now...

I like your stuff but the Zero Killer books seem to me to be real low on detail, especially backgrounds, which your stuff is not-although I think you would have infused even more life into what so far has been a good read. I am sure there will be more to come for you.

I first ran across your stuff at WWTX 06 too, just a fan in the crowd, but it is still nice to "rediscover" someone again. Good Luck!

Justin

Multisync143
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Your stuff is amazing as always. I have to say i am a fan.

JeffW.
02-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't like you Nick. You are too good. You make me jealous.

Sorry to hear about the Dark Horse thing, but something will come along for you, I know it. Chin up sport!

joh james
02-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Nick! Great to hear you're still in the game and making waves, dude! What's this DH business? Sounds just like a subjective dislike with regards to the team. I'm sure they'll just pair you off with another writer inhouse so you can work your magic. Looks like your ride on the Big2 train is about to start! Can't wait to get aboard!

xombey
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
out of curiosity, did they pay you for the work you DID do?