PDA

View Full Version : Late Books Who cares?

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Do you?

I've been really bummed about Astro City, I used to love this book but it's always late and I forget what's happened after months of delays. Does this bother anybody else?

Ian Ascher
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Its never bothered me per say...

In my younger years I was annoyed when a book (like most of the Image titles) would take forever and a day to come out.

These days I either patiently wait (Brave and the Bold) or I just forget it (Authority) and go on my way. Most books on my list I can wait for because I know I want them and I know I'll enjoy them once they're out.

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I guess alot of people take it for granted nowadays. It's sad that creators have no work ethic anymore.

Buckyrig
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Partly due to money, but this has continued things; they've lost me as a regular.

PC812
12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I switched over to reading trades a few years ago, so I really don't notice if a comic is late these days. It's just a case of going into Borders and seeing a new trade on the shelf.

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a friend who loved Pitt, but lost interest after all the delays on that book, years later he read the series again and loved it. But I ask how many people are going to do that? Sure it was a great series as a trade or once it's done but in episodic format who wants to wait 5 months?

All Star Superman is one exception for me because the stories are self contained most of the time, I say if you're going to be late only be late when you wrap up somewhat in an issue, if you're on a roll then do multi-part stories.

mattchee
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
It depends on the comic. And i feel a lot different now than when i was younger. Waiting for a book to come out just monthly was rough on me.... the stories got broken up to much for me. SO late comics really bugged me. A month is a long time when you're... i dunno 14....

Now, a month goes by so quick.... too quick! I'll pick up a title and say to myself, "Dude, didn't i just buy this title last week?"

So i dont notice as much. Plus with the price of things i'm almost relived if something isnt out! hahaha

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I switched over to reading trades a few years ago, so I really don't notice if a comic is late these days. It's just a case of going into Borders and seeing a new trade on the shelf.
Trades are great, but they're fed by monthlies. If the Monthlies "Monthly is almost a joke" stop being accessible the trades will go away.

Think about it this way, what if everybody said I'll wait for the trade and didn't buy the regular books, how would comics survive?

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
It depends on the comic. And i feel a lot different now than when i was younger. Waiting for a book to come out just monthly was rough on me.... the stories got broken up to much for me. SO late comics really bugged me. A month is a long time when you're... i dunno 14....

Now, a month goes by so quick.... too quick! I'll pick up a title and say to myself, "Dude, didn't i just buy this title last week?"

So i dont notice as much. Plus with the price of things i'm almost relived if something isnt out! hahaha
I don't buy a lot of titles so I really notice, the books I like are pretty steady but once in a while i see a book out and say this looks interesting and the comic shop guy say's look in the back issue bins for older issues and they sold out 6 mths ago so it's hard to jump on.

mattchee
12-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a friend who loved Pitt, but lost interest after all the delays on that book, years later he read the series again and loved it. But I ask how many people are going to do that? Sure it was a great series as a trade or once it's done but in episodic format who wants to wait 5 months?

All Star Superman is one exception for me because the stories are self contained most of the time, I say if you're going to be late only be late when you wrap up somewhat in an issue, if you're on a roll then do multi-part stories.

I agree about self contained stories. I wish more comics were a more episodal format. I was estranged for a few years because i felt the 12-part story arcs were cumbersome and a waste of the year. I mean you can keep a story flowing through many issues, but still have an episodal feel to it as well...

As far as pitt. That was rediculous. That was one of the top titles coming out of image along with Spawn, Dragon, Youngblood, WildCATS etc.... and one ish came out..... and then liek a YEAR went by. I mean Dale Keown was the butt of many jokes between my friends and i (okay we were in high school)-- I think i eventually got pitt #2 but it was just way too long with that one. I think that Whilce Portacio Image book took a while to even come out... like we heard about it for a year, it was on the cover of wizard 15 times before it even came out..... wetworks....

mattchee
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't buy a lot of titles so I really notice, the books I like are pretty steady but once in a while i see a book out and say this looks interesting and the comic shop guy say's look in the back issue bins for older issues and they sold out 6 mths ago so it's hard to jump on.

true... and shops to stock as many copies as they used to. Just enough to hopefully sell them out within the week.... rather than the 5 inch stack they got back in the day... course people used to buy books like this "Oh crap, magnus robot figter 32? better grab a HANDFULL, Harbinger 1 just went up $75 in wizard last month!"

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
As far as pitt. That was rediculous. That was one of the top titles coming out of image along with Spawn, Dragon, Youngblood, WildCATS etc.... and one ish came out..... and then liek a YEAR went by.
My Friend said 18 mths went between one issue. Thing is nowadays that's the norm.

Image did it's 10 year anniversary special on it's 13th anniversary.

I have a challenge for someone out there who can tell me the longest gaps between issues of acclaimed comics and if there are some comics that still haven't come out after years of delays.

Knuckles
12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I have switched to trades because of books being constantly late. The only one I pick up now is All-Star Superman and like you said it is usually self-contained stories, but the last one was a two-parter and I enjoyed going through and reading them again.

mattchee
12-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Image did it's 10 year anniversary special on it's 13th anniversary.

That's hilarious!

You know, i can see that the image books came out a little slow. I mean you got these guys that are like, "Well I'm gonna Pencil, ink, write, AND RUN THE COMPANY" (probably in that order of importance.. haha) so-- its understandable that, you know, they were a bit bogged. BUT-- 18 months for Pitt #2? c'mon!

mattchee
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I went to trades for a long time, and recently switched back to monthlies too keep up with all that crap....

The-Spirit
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I wonder what people think of One more delay...I mean Day.

J.D. Lombardi
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
For me it depends on the book and the creators involved. While it is equally as disappointing that a book like Image Comic's FELL hasn't been out for a while in contrast to Icon's KABUKI...Ellis and Templesmith, combined may be working on like 10 books or so. Mack isn't really seen anywhere besides his own Kabuki series...I just don't get it.

L Jamal
12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Mack does covers and stuff outside comics.

Late books don't bother me as I wait for trades. That way I don't waste my time or money on unfinished stories.

pi0trov
12-06-2007, 08:46 PM
The only time it really bugs me is when it's a flagship book (Superman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, etc.). These are supposed to be monthlies - and should have creators attached that can deliver appropriately. And I suppose if it's a time-sensitive series, like a piece of a crossover holding everyone up, or coming out after all of the other installments when it was supposed to be in the middle.

Really anything else (mini-series, any mid-range "monthly" books, indies, whatever), I'd rather wait if it results in higher quality. It does mean that I have to pay closer attention to when books are coming out/delayed/resolicited, but that's OK. If something only comes out every 3-4 months, that's just more money that I can put towards other things. :)

Mungkay
12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't understand why don't just "bank" issues right away until they have enough to run monthly/bimonthly without major delays.

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk debuted in Dec. 2005, went on hiatus in Nov. 2006 and today I've pretty much lost interest.

Buckyrig
12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
They do...at least sometimes. And it still doesn't always help.

Nevermind the fact that scheduling a book for X number of issues in a given time period and someone delaying it causes the other people on the book to have to dig up work to make up for the income that isn't there.

Raven
12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't understand why don't just "bank" issues right away until they have enough to run monthly/bimonthly without major delays.

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk debuted in Dec. 2005, went on hiatus in Nov. 2006 and today I've pretty much lost interest.

They need the hype to make it profitable.