PDA

View Full Version : Drawing cars

shushubag
12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm having a tough time nailing these cars down. The biggest problem I'm having is that I can't find a good way to form them. For instance when drawing a human you can form a stick man and let the rest go onto that, as sort of a skeleton or first phase. But cars is a different ball game. I try to get a simple shape in there, but the proportions get thrown way off. Then when I try to use different perspectives that throws off the proportions even more.

I've found a great site for buying an instructional dvd here
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/sro02.html
But damn 50 bucks? Do you know how much diapers I can buy with 50 bucks.

Anybody here care to let me know how you guys do it?

Come on, come teach a new dog some old tricks.

BKMDog
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Good link, Shushubag. Thanks for posting that. I think Ryan Church ( Star Wars concept artist ) has some stuff ( instructional DVDs ) there - I think I've got that bookmarked somewhere---

Cars can be tough, but I think the best way to do 'em is to work from a photo. Without tracing, of course, 'cuz that could get you into all kinds o' copyright issues. A photo that's more or less in the same perspective or POV as your drawing can then be adapted into the art and seem credible. Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it, and after a while, you won't even need a photo that's close to the angle you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Newt
12-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, if you're going to be drawing the same or similar cars a lot, the easy way to do it is to use drafting techniques- take side, front, back and top views of the car and form a plan of it, so you know the proportions, etc. Then you can lay out a rectangular prism in the position and perspective you want your car to be in and use the proportions you figured out earlier to lay it out. Works like a charm!

shushubag
12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I found something to help me break it down better here.

http://www.kotanezu.com/tutorials/drawing1.html