PDA

View Full Version : Ref.: Military, Law Enforcement, etc ...

Antarticus
12-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Does anyone know of any good reference book/website/magazine/whatever regarding the military or law enforcement? Let's say I want to find out what a contemporary soldier would wear/use in combat, where would I find that kind of info/pics?

Thanks,

Antarticus

ronin_wolf
12-05-2007, 01:10 AM
jane's defence puts out a bunch of publications.

i'd check out the gun rags at your local border's/b&n--SWAT magazine, Weapons for Police and Law Enforcement, etc.

Online: army.mil, navy.mil, etc. Globalsecurity.org. specialoperations.com.

No, i'm not MIL-LEO or a mall ninja, just a wannabe illustrator. I just believe that when drawing, always make sure you got plenty of references. Nothing cuts the strings of suspension of disbelief like poorly drawn stuff--guns, telephones, furniture, anything really.

good luck.

J^2
12-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I got some links for Coast Guard related things, in addition to what ronin_wolf said you might want to try looking at Soldier of Fortune and any similar magazines, their cheap and sometimes you get some really good pics.

Antarticus
12-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I got some links for Coast Guard related things.

Maybe you could email or PM me some of those CG links. Part of my job is to board ships to perform rummages and crew musters and I'm always curious to see how others do things to pick up new tricks.

J^2
12-15-2007, 06:01 AM
... Part of my job is to board ships...

Are you a member of another countries Coast Guard?

I'll get the links together and PM them to you.

Antarticus
12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm with the Canada Border Services Agency (formerly Canada Customs), and I work at what is supposed to become North America's largest container port in a few years. So we're starting to see lots of ships coming our way. Love it.

What about you?

J^2
12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I was a reservist for 6yrs. I used to drill on Lake Michigan. You must be on one of the lakes right? While I never did it I know the Coast Guard trains other countries Coast Guard. Hope that makes sense. Right now I'm in the IRR, I've got less than one year of that and I'm done.

wisper
12-15-2007, 07:12 PM
http://search.military.com/search/milcom.html

Antarticus
12-16-2007, 03:35 PM
You must be on one of the lakes right?

I work on the west coast. I'm from Quebec originally, but I moved to British Columbia a few months back and I work from Prince Rupert, a few kilometers south of Alaska.

I know there's lots of cross training between agencies from different countries sometimes, and it's great. I had the opportunity to train recently with a British customs inspector and a Canadian Navy boarding instructor. Awesome!

Antarticus
12-16-2007, 03:36 PM
http://search.military.com/search/milcom.html

Nice. Thanks!

J^2
12-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I work on the west coast.

I never spent any Coast Guard time in the Pacific Northwest but I did live in Washington for about ten years. I plan to move back to the West Coast next year, I'm looking at the So Cal area. I miss the ocean.

Antarticus
12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
When I moved here, I had never been close to the west coast. I packed up the kids, put my stuff in storage and drove across country with the wife. I don't regret it. The Rockies, the ocean, the untouched wilderness ... it's nice. I'm going back to Quebec for 6 months, but I already can't wait to come back. I haven't visited much yet, bu the whole west coast is in my plans ... from Alaska to Tijuana. Well, maybe not Tijuana, but you get the idea!

J^2
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
When I moved here, I had never been close to the west coast. I packed up the kids, put my stuff in storage and drove across country with the wife. I don't regret it. The Rockies, the ocean, the untouched wilderness ... it's nice. I'm going back to Quebec for 6 months, but I already can't wait to come back. I haven't visited much yet, bu the whole west coast is in my plans ... from Alaska to Tijuana. Well, maybe not Tijuana, but you get the idea!

I hear Tijuana is nice, you just have to be careful...

Antarticus
12-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I hear Tijuana is nice, you just have to be careful...

Yah, danger can be somewhat attractive ...

Antarticus
12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
militaryphotos.net
armyrecognition.com

Two great sites. I used Internet Download Manager and downloaded all the pics from these sites ... I had some 22,000 and I turned off the program before it was over. Not all good, but some great stuff.