PDA

View Full Version : Savage Dragon #132

The Scribe
09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
So, who bought it?

brokenfrontier.com/review (http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/details.php?id=1563)

Story, art & cover ERIK LARSEN. It's 80 pages of all-out action as Dragon begins to unravel the mystery behind Jennifer's disappearance, while the spotlight shines on his supporting cast in the all-new 'Rock City Diner' written by ERIK LARSEN and drawn by FRANK FOSCO.

L Jamal
09-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I got it and frankly, I'd rather not pay extra for 40+ pages of back-up stories.

The Scribe
09-29-2007, 11:09 PM
But, the backup story is good.

I like the splash page withe the Rock House Diner. Did you see all of the characters on it? ;)

Gonzogoose
09-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I didn't get it, but one of our reviewers did and he had a different opinion of it:

http://www.silverbulletcomics.com/news/story.php?a=6224

Me personally, I've never cared much for SD. I bought the first three issues and never picked up a copy afterwards. Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea.

The Scribe
09-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Bart Croonenborghs at Broken Frontier wrote a better and well written review. ;)

Link again...
Savage Dragon #132 review. (http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/details.php?id=1563)

L Jamal
09-30-2007, 09:03 AM
But, the backup story is good.

I like the splash page withe the Rock House Diner. Did you see all of the characters on it? ;)
Doesn't matter how good the back-up story is.
I shouldn't be penalized with 40+ pages of extra material I may not want. If Larsen thinks we need that much extra material then he should put it in a one shot (like the She-Dragon one shot).

Gonzogoose
09-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Bart Croonenborghs at Broken Frontier wrote a better and well written review. ;)

Link again...
Savage Dragon #132 review. (http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/details.php?id=1563)

Thanks for insulting one of my writers. :yawn: It was a quick shot review anyway, it was meant to be brief and to the point. But that's neither here nor there. I just thought it would be interesting for people reading this thread to get two opposing perspectives. ;)

And I agree with Jamal, 40+ pages of back-up story for the extra cost hardly seems worth the expense to me, especially at the rate the book comes out. For that reason alone the book should have included the extra pages, but at regular cost!

The Scribe
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for insulting one of my writers. :yawn: It was a quick shot review anyway, it was meant to be brief and to the point. But that's neither here nor there. I just thought it would be interesting for people reading this thread to get two opposing perspectives. ;)

And I agree with Jamal, 40+ pages of back-up story for the extra cost hardly seems worth the expense to me, especially at the rate the book comes out. For that reason alone the book should have included the extra pages, but at regular cost!

You're welcome. I have been seeing better replies to my different threads. Most people don't seem to care that there's a 40 page backup story. I just want more Savage Dragon and his cast. If it's $6.99 a month, I'll pay it.

At least it's in one book and not in thirty plus books like "Civil War" and 52/ Countdown and mini-series that "spin-off" from that book.

L Jamal
09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
At least it's in one book and not in thirty plus books like "Civil War" and 52/ Countdown and mini-series that "spin-off" from that book.
The difference with Civil War is that you can choose not to buy any of the other books. Larsen has essentially locked his audience into paying for Rock's Diner or skipping an issue of the Dragon. If I had known beforehand that the Dragon story was essentially nothing, I would have skipped the entire issue. If Larsen likes these back-ups so much, then he should turn Dragon into an anthology with Dragon as the lead feature. That's closer to what the book is anyway and then having a 40 page "back-up" take over an issue wouldn't be such a big deal.

The Scribe
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
My competitors all sell comics for $2.99. Look around--they're everywhere. That means--for three comics--you'd be looking at $8.97 minimum--maybe more--a lot of miniseries these days from Marvel, DC and others ask for $3.50 or $3.95 an issue.

I added a 48-page one-shot to my comic so that I could sell it for a measly $4. Yeah, the entire book cost $6.99 but per page--it's the best deal anywhere.

I guess I'm just better at math than most people. If somebody asks if I'd rather spend $8.97 on three comics' worth of material or $6.99--I'll choose $6.99 every time. And yet, other people have a tough time with that. They'll go on about what a "rip off" it is to pay $6.99 and actually suggest that it would be preferable to pay $8.97!

I really don't get it.

Erik Larsen - Image comics (http://imagecomics.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=1dbdf4c2b0e8a81d443654bad6bcee98)

L Jamal
10-02-2007, 07:57 PM
He totally misses the point (as usual).
It 's not about the one comic versus another. It's about paying $4 for a comic you may not want to get a comic you do want.

I like Kirby books. I don't like Liefeld books. If I had to buy a $4 Liefeld book to get a $2.99 Kirby book, I will begin to think twice about getting that Kirby book. Substitute Savage Dragon by Larsen for Kirby and Dragon backups for Liefeld.

captainarian
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
man i miss dragon, dragon is always worth all the peenies... it never comes out on time and when it comes it coes out in a kick ass package. kewwwl! i love that about erik.