PDA

View Full Version : John Romita JR Appreciation Thread

ponyrl
08-25-2007, 12:39 AM
His was the first exposure to Daredevil during the storyline with BlackHeart.

His art has always been in my top 3 of the best this industry has produced in the last 2 decades.

Here's to you, JRJR! :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://www.punisher-art.com/artists/romitajr/punisherwarjournal_cover_44_hires.jpg

http://www.boblayton.com/Archive/May%2006/3.im256%20romita.jpg

pi0trov
08-25-2007, 01:13 AM
He's definately one of the true workhorses of the industry. He's professional, dependable (even when he's drawing 2 or 3 books in a month), and never disappoints. This was (as far as I remember) the first Marvel book I ever picked up - the first appearance of the female Captain Marvel. Good Stuff...

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-ManAnnual16.jpg

Arne S.
08-25-2007, 06:30 AM
oh, here is the better thread of them both....
i like his punisher most!

JJ McKool
08-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Ha ha, funny that my thread got more replies than yours so far, :nyah:

But seriously, can anyone find the sequence of Rhino and the rhino running at each other, that's the coolest one I saw him do, I can't seem to find it now though.

The-Spirit
08-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I saw yours last.
Indubitably.
http://dialbforblog.com/archives/100/jrjr.jpg

masked_ramen
08-26-2007, 01:03 AM
When I was younger I hated JRJR when he was on Uncanny. I was really into the Cliffhanger guys, but when JRJR did blew them all outta the water by doin Thor and Spidey at the same time and on time he instantly became one of my favs.

ponyrl
08-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Ha ha, funny that my thread got more replies than yours so far, :nyah:

But seriously, can anyone find the sequence of Rhino and the rhino running at each other, that's the coolest one I saw him do, I can't seem to find it now though.
eh, it's like a car accident. People will stare at it, but if there's a group of kids holding a car wash sign, they won't notice. :) :D

Scott Story
08-29-2007, 06:06 PM
I've stared at JrJr's art for years in appreciation. I've tried to nail down what it is that's so cool about his art--it's not high concept, it's not some crazy finishing style, and it's not exactly sleek or cutting edge. What makes him an artists' artist?

I finally figured it out--JrJr is a classic. If he were a truck, he'd be an F150. If he were a motorcycle, he'd by a Harley Davidson. If he were a guitar, he'd be a Les Paul. There's something just so cool about being a classic. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be.

Nitecrawlah2
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
JRjr macked on my girl last year at the con. His exact words: "Wow, she ain't too hard tah look at! Ya don't see that every day at these kinda shows." What a great guy :laugh: .

JJ McKool
08-29-2007, 10:13 PM
He definitely is one of the coolest guys, anybody who's not a fan of his art can at least say that. Myself included, though sometimes he does catch me off-guard with certain art pieces.

Ian Ascher
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I've had the chance to meet him twice... even got a quick Dr Strange head sketch from him the last time.

A great artist and a great guy.

Phatman
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I've stared at JrJr's art for years in appreciation. I've tried to nail down what it is that's so cool about his art--it's not high concept, it's not some crazy finishing style, and it's not exactly sleek or cutting edge. What makes him an artists' artist?

I finally figured it out--JrJr is a classic. If he were a truck, he'd be an F150. If he were a motorcycle, he'd by a Harley Davidson. If he were a guitar, he'd be a Les Paul. There's something just so cool about being a classic. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be.

Perfectly said Scott.

I'd recommend anybody wanting to be an artist to hunt down one of his pages for sale at a con or something and really look at it-more of an education than going to any art school to be a comic's artist.

Adam Black
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
JRJr was the only reason I was interested in X-Men comics in the 80s. He had a nice, abbreviated style...just enough lines to get the point across.

I admire that sort of line economy in an artist.

Mike225
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I finally figured it out--JrJr is a classic. If he were a truck, he'd be an F150. If he were a motorcycle, he'd by a Harley Davidson. If he were a guitar, he'd be a Les Paul. There's something just so cool about being a classic. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be.If he were a soft drink, he'd be a Coke? :huh:

Scott Story
08-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, yes, I suppose he would be.

I'm not trying to be silly, though. "Abbreviated" is one of the best terms I've heard describing his work.

For all my high opinion about JrJr, I still think he draws Spider-Man a little too skinny. What about that Eternals Mini? Wow.

I became a JrJr fan big time with the Batman/Punisher crossover.

The Dag
08-30-2007, 03:29 PM
He's definately one of the true workhorses of the industry. He's professional, dependable (even when he's drawing 2 or 3 books in a month), and never disappoints. This was (as far as I remember) the first Marvel book I ever picked up - the first appearance of the female Captain Marvel. Good Stuff...

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-ManAnnual16.jpg

looks like spidey and cap fear black women..

Nitecrawlah2
08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
looks like spidey and cap fear black women..
:laugh: That's hilarious. I never thought anything could beat the shot of Iron Man looking scared shitless and ready to sprint away:

http://www.avengersforever.org/jlavengers/images/JLA_Avengers_1.jpg

Mike225
08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, yes, I suppose he would be.

I'm not trying to be silly, though. "Abbreviated" is one of the best terms I've heard describing his work.

For all my high opinion about JrJr, I still think he draws Spider-Man a little too skinny. What about that Eternals Mini? Wow.

I became a JrJr fan big time with the Batman/Punisher crossover.Yeah, I knew what you meant. I love JRJR, I've always enjoyed his work.

pi0trov
08-30-2007, 09:15 PM
That JLA/Avengers pic is great! :laugh: I'd never noticed that before.

I can imagine the caption: "Ah, screw this - who needs a drink..."