PDA

View Full Version : Alex Ross :SUPERPOWERS

The-Spirit
07-19-2007, 05:10 AM
follow-up to Justice (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=121397)

This looks great.

Great book for Golden Age fans like me.

http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Superpowers/Superpowers.jpg

Raven
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
And most of the characters are public domain too! :)

Nitecrawlah2
07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Superpowers/Superpowers-Preview-4.jpg

Looks promising!

JJ McKool
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Cool, I really don't get why some people criticize painting in comics, I mean Alex has such a classic look to his stuff. It's like a realistic version of Kirby. Awesome!

Ian Ascher
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I dont know a lot about these characters and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I enjoy Ross' design work and they did an amazing job on Justice so I will at least give it a look when it comes out.

Nitecrawlah2
07-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Cool, I really don't get why some people criticize painting in comics, I mean Alex has such a classic look to his stuff. It's like a realistic version of Kirby. Awesome!
I don't criticize painting in comics (more power to you if you can actually pull it off!), though I'm not huge on Alex Ross much anymore. He's so good at what he does that, oddly enough, it all looks the same after a while. I like the concept behind the project, and that it's a new "from the ground up" idea to establish and play with.

carriertone
07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm just happy someone is finally doing something with these characters. If only i'd known they were public domain, man....

L Jamal
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm just happy someone is finally doing something with these characters. If only i'd known they were public domain, man....
The great thing about public domain is that the originals are still yours to use, you just can't use anything from the DC versions.. Start with the source material and continue form there.

pi0trov
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Doesn't mean you can't do something with them yourself... it just means you've got to do something that'll outshine the likes of Alex Ross and Alan Moore. :)

I'm surprisingly psyched about this. Love that they've got the original Daredevil in there. Dynamite's been pulling in some big names and projects lately that so far have seemed to actually live up to people's expectations. I've loved the current Lone Ranger series, and I just read that they picked up the rights to The Man With No Name from Eastwood's spaghetti westerns, so there's something else for ye ol' pulls list (plus this one, of course)...

eDuke
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Public Domain? Which characters?

Multisync143
07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
The Black Terror, the guy with the skull on his chest.

hellblazer72
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
i'm probably going to get this...i remember ross saying something about his next project would be pencilled and inked instead of painted...doesnt look like this is it..lol

Raven
07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Actually a lot of those characters are public domain.

I know, because I plan on using them at some point in my book. Of course the designs are original so you can't use their look. That also makes it hard to ID them, but the lady with the gun, the fire guy, and the guy in the green robes are all public domain.

Look up NEDOR characters, or Better Publications.
internationalhero.uk has them listed under NEDOR.

You should know this stuff Ed. Hell, if you want to use them, I'll help you modernize and do your own versions. :)

DJW
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Gotta say this has me interested,

although it may have scuppered one of my concepts involving a bunch of those characters but ah well, was resigned to the slush pile anyways

got me wondering though, is there a masterlist of all the public domain heroes out there? I always love the lesser known or forgotten characters in comics being a subscriber to the 'there are no bad characters' theory so seeing a bunch of these guys brought back should be fun

Raven
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
It takes a LOT of research to find public domain characters.

Alex Ross or not, look for some of these characters to appear in my War of the Independents tie-in. The only one on this poster that I am using is The Black Terror, but you'll see a much more drastic, updated version than Ross's.

Justice41
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I dont know a lot about these characters and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I enjoy Ross' design work and they did an amazing job on Justice so I will at least give it a look when it comes out.
Did someone mention my name.

The-Spirit
08-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I loved Justice, ^not you^ and I've listened to some podcasts with Ross, I'm pretty much a big fan of whatever he does and it's weird because i'm a real Bigfoot guy. I love his passion for the Golden and Silver Age stuff and i like to see this stuff given a fresh take. I think the 40s-60s has some great untapped story possibilities with the Superhero metaphor applied. America went thru such drastic changes coming out of the depression in WWII to be the dominant superpower in the 50's to a spirit of unrest and disillusionment in the late 60's.

I love getting more depth into the old stuff, I think it enriches the current stuff with a solid history.

kdmelrose
08-21-2007, 03:54 PM
... it's weird because i'm a real Bigfoot guy.

Pardon? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNb1pgQlQo)

:huh:

The-Spirit
08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Pardon? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNb1pgQlQo)

:huh:
Oh My Heck! I haven't seen that in 30 yrs! Actually Bigfoot is an old term for cartoony art from the 50's it's the kind I really like, I used to be a real Neal Adams kind of guy but switched gears in the 90's to Bruce Timm and Kirby the more Cartoony Bigfoot artists.

I do love the super-realism of Alex Ross tho and he's one of the few I tolerate.

kdmelrose
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Interesting. I've never heard the term "bigfoot" in relation to art (though, in context, the label makes sense).