PDA

View Full Version : Comics Worth Waiting For?

Ian Ascher
06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I started to put this in the general comics area because I was going to include Marvel books as well but as I thought about the post the more I realized it was mainly DC so I put it here...

Maybe its just me but it seems as if more and more "high profile" books are getting delayed or their stories are being interupted from issue to issue. The Morrison/Kubert run on Batman has already had a four issue fill in arc and now July's issue has a fill in artist and it's not even being published in August. The Busiek/Pacheo Superman storyline is peppered with fill in issues, I've been told the Johns/Donner/Kubert Action Comics story was as well. Both All Star books are on a very delayed schedule. Dr Fate by Steve Gerber was listed then never came out and number two has yet to be listed. No regular JSA book in June. Brave and the Bold missed an issue this month. Forget about WIldcats or The Authority. So on and so on...

DC fought to get top creative writers and artists away from Marvel and has put together some spectacular teams and books BUT is it worth it to readers if a monthly book can't be produced on a monthly schedule? Is anyone else fine with a one month delay on a title they like or a four issue filler story while the teams get on track only to see they really haven't?

Buckyrig
06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't care what they do, just get the books out regularly. A missed month occasionally is ok, but the fact is that with the number of books I normally read each month, if you disappear for longer than that you fall off my radar and then when I catch up with the book again, I've often lost interest.

Maybe the guys who keep coming up slow have to stay away from the monthlies. I don't know what would work for the companies from a business standpoint, but as a reader I would rather see the monthly books shrink down to a handful of essentials. Everything else can come out in specials, limited series, or GNs as people come up with and produce solid story ideas. Reduce the Spidey, Superman, Bat titles to one or two apiece and just stop publishing books like The Atom. Put out an Atom story when you have one, and when you don't, go ahead and put out a Firestorm story that month.

It'll never happen, but that's what I'd like to see as a reader.

pi0trov
06-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I suppose as a reader, I generally prefer quality over quantity. Somewhere along the line I started mainly buying books for the creator, as opposed to the character, and I'm more than willing to wait however long is necessary to get a book by a creator I'm interested in. Sometimes this can be excruciatingly long/annoying (Planetary, Ultimates), but I figure it ends up usually being kinder on my wallet if I'm not picking up a book for a couple of months at a time.

If I do lose interest so much that I want to drop it, then that's the creators' problem. If they've had that much time, they should be able to craft an awesome issue that will pull be back in. If nothing else, I can always wait for the trade to come out and read it all at once.

I'd of course prefer it if the publishers know the book are going to be delayed, than just go ahead and market it as such (bi-monthly, quarterly, yearly, whatever). Atleast be honest to the readers. But I will agree that the Big Two's flagship books should stay monthly to invite the new/casual/newstand customer in. But then the writing should do the same, and that's an entirely different problem....

Also on the plus side, if a book I'm expecting to come out doesn't, there's a good chance I might use that $3 to try out a book that is on the shelf.

L Jamal
06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Doesn't matter I read all that stuff as trades. By delying the story arcs all they due is insure that my money gets spent elsewhere.

Buckyrig
06-02-2007, 05:57 PM
They could also time out the gaps if they can. If you just completed an arc and have the next issue ready to go on time, but the next will probably be delayed, hold back the first part of the new arc. At least get the issues of an individual arc out in a timely manner.

quantum1019
06-02-2007, 07:25 PM
If it's scheduled monthly, get it out monthly. If the writer and/or artist can't get the work done on time, replace them with someone who can. There's nothing else to say about it. You don't find this childish unprofessionalism in most other businesses, so why should it be acceptable in the comics business? It shouldn't.