PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Question

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I looked in the thread on Photoshop here and didn't find the answer... maybe someone can help... So I often get little jobs to do for a horse magazine, and for that the artwork must be digital in either Illustrator or Photoshop. I don't have the time to learn Illustrator, so I'm using Photoshop CS. My question concerns the brush: how can I get it to produce really smooth lines? (Oh yes, I use a pen/tablet by the way) For large objects, the pen is really good, but it is much too long for small things - it's faster to do it freehand, but I get jitters. There are no options in any of the palettes... there is a smoothing option, but it doesn't smooth very much. Anyone have any ideas? :)

L Jamal
05-30-2007, 10:53 AM
The easiest way to get smooth lines is to zoom out your canvas until you can do the line in one motion.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tip! It does help, but I find it tricky. I was hoping there was a hidden "smooth line" button somewhere... :laugh: ...but one discovery: holding down the shift key while tapping with the pen to create a line makes a seamless line. Stiff, but seamless and smooth...

Jasen Smith
05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
You can always try messing around with the brush settings.

You can do anything you want to the brushes in there.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Very true... Illustrator has those nice, smooth lines - I should really learn it. It just has way too many doohickeys to go along with it, and at 5 in the morning, I'm just not functional enough. Like you say though, there are a lot of option in the Photoshop settings, and then there is the blur brush to help smooth things out....guess it's gotta be played with some more! :)

Scott Story
05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, you can use bezier curves in photoshop that you set to emulate brushes, with their thick to thin qualities on the stroke. Or, you can ink it, then select the color (black, I assume), then go the paths palette, convert the selection to paths, and then hit the fill button there--that simplifies and smoothes the line art, giving it a woodblock cut look. You can also fiddle with line fidelity with the unsharp mask.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Or, you can ink it, then select the color (black, I assume), then go the paths palette, convert the selection to paths, and then hit the fill button there--that simplifies and smoothes the line art, giving it a woodblock cut look. You can also fiddle with line fidelity with the unsharp mask.

Aha! I think that's what's needed! To smooth the line edges, I could probably feather them a tad while selected... THANK YOU! :)

Scott Story
05-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi, Jedi!

Yeah, feather them a couple of pixels will help the smoothing, too. You can even do this process more than once, each time streamlining the lines a bit more. It's a cool effect.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I will most certainly try it. Thanks, Scott!