PDA

View Full Version : Limb cut-offs, etc. (Question)

prochristi86
05-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey,

When I'm doing the layout at 1/3rd final page size, I draw the whole figure most of the time, so I attach pieces of paper to the layout to draw limbs and parts of the body that are off of the layout. What I'm wondering is, when I go to do the final pencils off of the blown up layout, should I get more paper and re-sketch or draw the "off-panel" parts? Or is this really unnecesary? How do you guys do it?

Edit: It occured to me just after writing this that drawing the layouts on bristol board instead of paper might make it easier to make them tight (this helps me a lot, personally). So, tightening up might be the answer.

Thanks!

James Smith

prochristi86
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Ummm.... 31 views and no-one has any thoughts on this? I'm just wondering what you guys do.

Thanks in advance,

James

ArtisticBlasts
05-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey,

When I'm doing the layout at 1/3rd final page size, I draw the whole figure most of the time, so I attach pieces of paper to the layout to draw limbs and parts of the body that are off of the layout. What I'm wondering is, when I go to do the final pencils off of the blown up layout, should I get more paper and re-sketch or draw the "off-panel" parts? Or is this really unnecesary? How do you guys do it?

Edit: It occured to me just after writing this that drawing the layouts on bristol board instead of paper might make it easier to make them tight (this helps me a lot, personally). So, tightening up might be the answer.

Thanks!

James Smith Kind of confused with what you're asking. What do you need to do the rest of the limbs if they are off panel then? :huh:

prochristi86
05-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey ArtisticBlasts and thanks... I was thinking that you would be needing to have most or all of the figure in order to be able to accurately draw clothing folds and the musculature (for example: if an arm cuts off, then you would have to guess the folds toward the end of the arm near the hand). I was also thinking of proportions and re-checking them on the final pencils. I would be very appreciative if you would just tell me how you do this, please.

Thanks!

ArtisticBlasts
05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey ArtisticBlasts and thanks... I was thinking that you would be needing to have most or all of the figure in order to be able to accurately draw clothing folds and the musculature (for example: if an arm cuts off, then you would have to guess the folds toward the end of the arm near the hand). I was also thinking of proportions and re-checking them on the final pencils. I would be very appreciative if you would just tell me how you do this, please.

Thanks! Ah, now you're explaining it a little bit, I can give you a little shed of light then.

To me, I'll just "extend" the rough drawing a little bit, in your case. Meaning that supposed I have to draw a panel that shown a character from head to chest / close up, with his / her arm stretched off panel. I'll just draw rough layout of him / her till out of the panel a little bit (but not necessarily finishing the full figure for you to render the cloth folds anyway!). Just use your sense of "gravity" or "force", and you'll just do fine.

OR ... you can do this way (w/ a lightbox!), if you feel you need to get a full figure layout to apply those folds and drapperies. Do light sketches of a panel figure poses on some other papers, like typing papers. Once you have the pose you like, place the typing paper beneath your comic page artboard and start tracing it lightly with a H-typed pencils. Just trace the portion you need into the panel, light enough for you to see. Then you can render the rough figure sketching that you traced on the actual comic page of yours.

There, try to use any of the above methods and you'll do just fine. I did :)

prochristi86
05-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow, thanks a LOT! I saw your gallery -- you're not joking!

James Smith

ArtisticBlasts
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow, thanks a LOT! I saw your gallery -- you're not joking!

James Smith Hey, glad you find it useful. :banana: And thanks for visiting my devArt site :)