PDA

View Full Version : Alan Moore's greatest hits

Mark Bertolini
05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I just finished re-reading volumes 1 and 2 of Top 10. This is such a fantastic piece of work, it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Watchmen or V. Awesome characters, innovative storylines, and incredible art by Gene Ha. This was probably the best title to come out of Moore's ABC line.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the ABC line? I haven't seen a thing for a long time now. Did Moore pack it in? And does anyone know if there was a third volume of Top 10?

exilednight
05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Moore had a legal battle with DC after Jim Lee sold Wild Storm to DC. There is news that Moore will bring back ABC, but no definitive time line has been set. I read somewhere, that apparently after his last schism with DC, Moore has vowed to take ABC back into his own hands, and he's taking the League with him. Most of his current problems have to do with the V movie and the holding up of The Black Dossier.

Buckyrig
05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
What happened to being retired from comics? I recall him saying that except for a few things (occasional LoEG), he wouldn't be working in comics for a while.

As far as ABC, I would also recommend Promethea.

kdmelrose
05-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Moore had a legal battle with DC after Jim Lee sold Wild Storm to DC.

There wasn't a "legal battle"; it was a battle of the wills and, to an extent, Moore's ego.

Moore had a falling out with DC over some royalties issues on Watchmen and a planned age-rating system.

When DC bought Wildstorm, ABC was made its own fiefdom, so that, in theory, Moore could work without any contact with, or interference from, the corporate overlords.

I don't think Moore will be back at DC. His apparent outrage over Joel Silver's comments, and his expectation that Paul Levitz do something about them, seemed a bit ... manufactured. And his demand to have his name removed from corporate-owned comic work is unrealistic.

It all seems created to give him an excuse to take his toys and go home.

Mark Bertolini
05-26-2007, 08:47 PM
What happened to being retired from comics? I recall him saying that except for a few things (occasional LoEG), he wouldn't be working in comics for a while.

As far as ABC, I would also recommend Promethea.

Yeah, I like Promethea, except I found it got a little too heady in parts. The artwork by J.H. Williams 3 was exceptional, though.

hannu
05-27-2007, 06:10 AM
I personally like the spin-off miniseries "Smax" a lot more than Top Ten. Itīs brilliant fantasy parody with a serious side. Just think about dwarves playing Malls & Muggers –role-playing game:

-...so weīre in the lightning-powered goods department, and a sales-fiend is approaching?
-Avoid him! Iīm throwing one nine-sided gnome-bone! Hmmm...
-A four? Oh, thatīs just great!
-Sorry, not good enough. This sales-fiend has eight persuasion points. He sells you a sandwich toaster... :laugh:

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

carriertone
05-27-2007, 05:15 PM
His apparent outrage over Joel Silver's comments, and his expectation that Paul Levitz do something about them, seemed a bit ... manufactured. And his demand to have his name removed from corporate-owned comic work is unrealistic.

How is that unrealistic? He just doesn't want them using HIS name to sell product he doesn't believe in, for whatever reason. This has nothing to do with Alan Moore's ego.

- Carl

kdmelrose
05-27-2007, 05:37 PM
It's unrealistic to expect a publisher to go through a catalog of work that stretches back two decades to remove his name, just because he's now mad at the company.

It's one thing to be upset with editorial interference on a book and say, "Y'know what? Credit Alan Smithee." But this is something else.

I like a great deal of Moore's work, but he tends to take extreme stances when a publisher displeases him.

jmassie
05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I just read 'Lost Girls'

He can get away with ANYTHING.

Mark Bertolini
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I actually just went and picked up Smax and the Forty-Niners, both were excellent, especially the Forty-Niners. Gene Ha is friggin' fantastic.

Too bad we'll never see his art again now that he's stuck in the black hole that is the Authority.

Scott Story
05-29-2007, 09:54 PM
My favorite Moore works, in no particular order

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
The Killing Joke
Watchmen
Supreme
Top 10
Prometha
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I
Tom Strong

Keep in mind, I have not read V for Vendetta or From Hell or Lost Girls, so I can't comment on those. I did not like LOEG II nearly as much, though it did have good points.

Normally I'd list Grant Morrison as my favorite, but thinking of this reminds me what a giant Moore has been in this industry.

The only other person I remember with the cajones to write off majoy publishers on occasion is John Byrne. He wrote of Marvel after XM: Lost Years was cancelled, and I don't think he's been back. It seems like shooting yourself in the foot to do this, but...

Alexithymia
06-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I loved Top10, though the last book in the series is not worth buying or even reading. I really disliked Smax also.

Promethea is great. Terra Obscura is excellent, but suffers from not having Moore directly, or more directly working on it.

As I understand it, the whole Watchmen argument centered around the fact that Moore would own it after
DC stopped publishing it for a period. It hadn't occured to
him that DC would never let it go. I don't really think there were any problems with the Black Dossier, it's all done, it is just waiting to be published.

The Joel Silver thing didn't seem manufactured to me, not by anyone but Joel Silver anyway.
I also don't remember reading any direct quotes in which Moore said he wanted an entire backlog of his corporate work changed. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask DC to stop using his name to sell older works in new collections if he has the legal right to.

Alexithymia
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Keep in mind, I have not read V for Vendetta or From Hell or Lost Girls, so I can't comment on those. I did not like LOEG II nearly as much, though it did have good points.

Normally I'd list Grant Morrison as my favorite, but thinking of this reminds me what a giant Moore has been in this industry.

The only other person I remember with the cajones to write off majoy publishers on occasion is John Byrne. He wrote of Marvel after XM: Lost Years was cancelled, and I don't think he's been back. It seems like shooting yourself in the foot to do this, but...

I'm just curious, what did you not like about LoEG II?

Doesn't John Byrne hate Moore?

Ian Ascher
06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I've got a copy of The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks from 2000 AD which reprints some of his earliest work. Really fun stuff.

A freind let me borrow his Top 10 series and I really liked it a lot.