PDA

View Full Version : prelims & thumbnails

bastian
05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Ok hum, i have a question. This bothers me cause its something i struggle with myself.

Nearly everytime i make a thumbnail of something i want to further develop i struggle leaving in the initial rough what is visible on the thumbnail. And i mean i love usually whats on the thumbnail, it as vitality, the zest of the drawing right. I'm wondering how other artist go by from those nice prelims J.Scott Campbell makes and joe mads nice thumbnails to the first stage of the rough drawing...do they blow them up and trace over?

I know some do...which doesn't sound that fun to me but hey, i'm just looking to hear from what everybody does. How to make that transition and leaving nothing from your thumbnails..which is not much really if its a little thumb, its just the gesture then. But still oftenly i loose whats on it!! i'm tired of making that mistake...the drawing changes, the meaning, thats bad.

hellblazer72
05-19-2007, 02:04 AM
alot of people blow them up and lightbox them...some just take it to different levels..ex: some people just get the basic gestures of the thumbs down and then start drawing while some go for a more detailed approach...it all depends on your thumbnails...i've seen one of steve mcniven's thumbnails and it's as tight as his drawing style..it's all about what you feel comfortable with...i've tried the lightboxing thing and hated it...so i plan to just draw my thumbnails straight on the board

shushubag
05-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Ok hum, i have a question. This bothers me cause its something i struggle with myself.

Nearly everytime i make a thumbnail of something i want to further develop i struggle leaving in the initial rough what is visible on the thumbnail. And i mean i love usually whats on the thumbnail, it as vitality, the zest of the drawing right. I'm wondering how other artist go by from those nice prelims J.Scott Campbell makes and joe mads nice thumbnails to the first stage of the rough drawing...do they blow them up and trace over?

I know some do...which doesn't sound that fun to me but hey, i'm just looking to hear from what everybody does. How to make that transition and leaving nothing from your thumbnails..which is not much really if its a little thumb, its just the gesture then. But still oftenly i loose whats on it!! i'm tired of making that mistake...the drawing changes, the meaning, thats bad.

Yeah a pretty common method is doing the rough lay-out on an 8 x 11 page and blowing that up and then going over that. If you take a comic book and trace around the outside on the blank page it'll line up perfect for the live area of an art board. I can't take credit for that that was Madcow who hooked me up with that piece of info.

But I know what you are saying about it losing its vitality though. I get irritated with that too. The energy is lost when things are tightened in. I try not to go into too much detail when I'm roughing in the first stages. I try to save that for later because that's where the fun is. And going over the fun stuff twice, well- takes the fun out of it. If I keep the rough simple and save the rendering for later I find that less is lost in the transition. Then there's just some things that you don't have to rough in, well you do, but you can do it on the actual finished piece.

BKMDog
05-21-2007, 06:20 AM
The best way generally is indeed to blow-up the thumbnail sketch. To better preserve what you were first happy with, make sure the thumbnail is in proportion. Many people work generally in proportion, but not exactly, so that's a sure-fire way to lose important detail.

One way to preserve spontaneity / freedom, is to work on the thumbnail and let it decide it's own proportion or dynamic, based on how you feel like drawing, as you work on it: which panel needs more room than the others, etc. Then, rule of that thumbnail in proportion using a reduction wheel to make sure the image size is in proportion to the finished page. Make sense? What you'll end up with are a number of thumbnails at different sizes, but if you want to enlarge 'em after that, again, the reduction wheel will give you the percentage to enlarge them to - some will have to be blown-up more, some less - once you get the xerox machine to make 'em full-size

It's also important to understand that no matter what you do, you're going to lose some energy or thrust from your original drawing, as you refine it. Sure, you try to preserve it as much as possible, but it's almost inevitable that you are going to lose part of the thing you were first so excited about. In comics especially, where nowadays it's all about small, tiny, controlled, "noddley" line work - it's really almost the antithesis of what drawing freely and spontaneously is all about. Hope this helps.

bastian
05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
mmm..xerox machine$$. the freedom of blowing a tiny head thumb to a splash head shot and any corner of the thumbnail alone, now that would be nice...i could sketch on a bristol with those beside me i think. thanks for the ideas guys. at least i have my scanner, i can do the same with, just so more time consuming.
As for the lightbox..yeah i tried those when was younger..i made my own lol...my legs hair are still burning. you have to be drawing on pretty thin paper to see through them though no. maybe if you took a 11x17 on top of another 11x17 plain paper i guess. then go over your already rough..so your trying to mimic roughly the rough...lol..ah i dont think so..at that point it would have to be pretty tight...and i'm affraid of making that drastic step forward to quickly...with the light in my face..yeah i remember that light now..can't see what your doing..of course my lightbox was homemade, i never tried a real good one.

shushubag
05-24-2007, 11:50 PM
mmm..xerox machine$$. the freedom of blowing a tiny head thumb to a splash head shot and any corner of the thumbnail alone, now that would be nice...i could sketch on a bristol with those beside me i think. thanks for the ideas guys. at least i have my scanner, i can do the same with, just so more time consuming.
As for the lightbox..yeah i tried those when was younger..i made my own lol...my legs hair are still burning. you have to be drawing on pretty thin paper to see through them though no. maybe if you took a 11x17 on top of another 11x17 plain paper i guess. then go over your already rough..so your trying to mimic roughly the rough...lol..ah i dont think so..at that point it would have to be pretty tight...and i'm affraid of making that drastic step forward to quickly...with the light in my face..yeah i remember that light now..can't see what your doing..of course my lightbox was homemade, i never tried a real good one.

I love my lightbox. You can also fix some things proportionally by flipping it over. Or go the cheap route by trying to draw with the opposite hand.