PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Through

prochristi86
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey,
Is it best to use quick, short lines or long smooth lines with drawing-through and erasing in your final pencil stage? What do you all do?

Thanks,

Justice41
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
I draw through everything with as much detail as possible just so I can keep the structure and design consistent. Try making a group shot without drawing through and you'll just create all kinds of tangental issues as well as foreshortening and perspective problems.

Gav Heryng
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Can't you do both?

I draw things smoothly, but without unnecessary pressure so I can erase unwannted lines later to avoid confusion.

Dis

Scott Story
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't draw through much anymore--I imagine through. You can envision the trajectory of hidden limbs/objects/whatever pretty well without having to actually draw them.

I don't suggest everyone take this approach. It's probably better for most people to draw through.

Different people have different levels of visualization at their command. Mine is by no means super or even that much above average, but after decades of doing this it does get more and more developed.

Siafu
05-05-2007, 04:07 AM
I lightly rough through stuff at times. Other times, I don't even bother. If for example, I'm drawing a building and you only see half a car, I'll box in what shape of the car, but after that, I'll detail only what you'll see. Heck, sometimes after that, I'll draw another object in front of that, so I wasted all that time detailing the object being blocked. But it's a good exercise to draw through elements I'd say. Overall, it's whatever you feel comfy doing.

prochristi86
05-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks a lot, guys! I have this technique understood now. I appreciate this.