PDA

View Full Version : More water color help needed

Calloway
04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
How would I go about creating a white glow against a dark background in water colors. I've been going over it in my head and can't think of anything. If I used acrylic white it'd come off too thick. Any clues?

Flairbrusher
04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
The only thing I can tell you is to slowly glaze layers upon layers of white watercolor until you have it at the strength you want. I hope that your dark background was only painted in, and that your not trying to opaque that on an already dark background. All I can tell you is that you've got to do keep at your experiments until you've gotten the effect you want. Also, you may want to pick up a couple of issues of THE ARTIST, since watercolor is a subject covered regularly in the magazine. You may want to pick up a couple of books from Northlight books covering the subject.http://www.northlightbookclub.com/
Have fun, and happy painting, my friend.

TAP_LEGION
04-08-2007, 03:32 AM
You can use acrylics just like watercolours...to an extent.

Try using Goldens Transparent medium with watered down acrylics...works great....You can also use Goldens Retarder to keep it from drying to fast so it can be re-worked for a short period of time.....

Calloway
04-08-2007, 03:10 PM
crap...more stuff to buy??? I shoulda just did oils.

Flair, actually dark paper would make this easy. I am going to attempt this on white clayboard. Kinda making a ghosty image.

Thanks for the tip on am but I asked here to avoid that.

Justice41
04-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Ummm how about not painting over the area you want to make all ghosty then adding some sort of airbrush around the edges to soften it with white paint.

Calloway
04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I have no air brush or airbrush skills. Airbrushing would be easier to figure out for this sort of effect. What i wanted to do , intially, is mask off the area and add a glow around it after the background was washed in but in my head I forsee a break line instead of a smooth gradient. I haven't expermented yet but I'm hoping to narrow the ideas down so I don't waste alot of time.

Biofungus
04-08-2007, 08:16 PM
What about some light stipling followed up with some dry brushing (or even a little wet brushing)? You'd have to use fairly opaque paint for the stipling (like undiluted acrylic white), but you'll get your paint on there w/o having to really rub it into the page...

Calloway
04-08-2007, 11:35 PM
huh?

Justice41
04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
It's watercolor man, just get a jar of clean water and a clean brush and just wash ay the color where you don't want it. You can take up at least 60 percent of the color if you get to it quickly and also have clean paper towels for blotting. Experiment on an area that isn't important.

Droehl
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I would say as you put the dark background on, dab the canvas or whatever with a cloth or paper towel and pull off some of the dark where you need the white glow.

Or as Justice41 said and just wash it away. those are prolly the best ways.

Calloway
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
It's watercolor man, just get a jar of clean water and a clean brush and just wash ay the color where you don't want it. You can take up at least 60 percent of the color if you get to it quickly and also have clean paper towels for blotting. Experiment on an area that isn't important.

I actually start mulling this one over in my head. How attractive is the bare white of clayboard in a painting? It'll do the job but I feel kinda cheated when I see paintings with bare spots.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Missed this - been busy... Well here's the way I do it: please forgive the self showcase here... Take a look at the staff.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1417/cardgandalf2rh1.jpg

If you like it, here's how I did it...Did the drawing first and where I want the glow, make sure there are no pencil marks. Once the water color is down, it's difficult to erase pencil. I decided on the basic color scheme - in this case yellow and grey. I wet the entire card (if you are working larger, wet a very large area, or just plan the colors you want to use) then, keeping in mind the area I want white, I applied the yellow paint around the glow a little farther away than necessary as the color will bleed in a bit. With practice you'll learn to control it, but let it go a bit too and work with what happens. Keeps life interesting. before the paint dries, I applied the grey, and let things mingle. The way you see it now is a little bit of control and a bit of chance. After things dry, I look at it and take it from there. Of course you can use acrylic - I often do - but the effect works better if you let the paper do the work. When you can. You must plan your colors if you want this to work, there is no way around that. IMO, of course. Hope it helps! :)

Calloway
04-13-2007, 02:09 AM
This will be interesting. I'm going to be using the clayboard I bought and as far as I can tell it has now give like watercolour paper (doesn't buckle either!). 5 bucks for it's size seems alot but I'll give it a go.

LDahl
04-13-2007, 03:05 AM
You also might try a color lifting brush. I use an AquaLaser (Habico) It really works, better and smoother than anything else I've tried.
You can put down your color then drop alcohol on it, it works but with risk. The color lifting brush gives you more control. Some colors lift better than others, if the color stains,try another pigment of the same hue range that doesn't stain as much.