PDA

View Full Version : Watercolour flesh tones

Calloway
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
What specific colors, mixed or by themselves , create fleshtones? I need to buy more tubes. I had forgotten burnt sienna was a reddish brown.

sgm
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I never did much watercolors, but the acrylic and oil paints I used for most fleshtones were Naples Yellow (my favorite), Cadmium Red and Yellow, Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna.

I also used Soft White and (rarely) Titanium White for mixing tints and for the highlights (only Soft White for flesh). Those two aren't really that useful for watercolors though.

Calloway
03-22-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure about mixing the paints raw like arcrylics though. In the rusted memory I have of watercolor in college I seem to recall something about transperiencies being better for color mixes (lay one layer down, let dry and add another color over).

I'd love to know some mixes like that but what colors by themselves are specifically flesh tones. I've forgotten the names of everything. I remember Burnt sienna and Cadium red being essential but I don't know why. This class was 10 or 11 years ago.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Naples Yellow Red. You cannot live without that color, just deal with it now... :)

Calloway
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
ok, I'll check it out. I didn't quite get it right but I took your advice on hair and I am kinda impressed on what I did....

It's odd with the titanium white though.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
ok, I'll check it out. I didn't quite get it right but I took your advice on hair and I am kinda impressed on what I did....

It's odd with the titanium white though.

If you don't like titanium white, by all means play with all the other whites till you find one you like! Some people swear by chinese white - :yuk: -.... use what works for you.

Calloway
03-23-2007, 02:23 AM
No, before you even told me titanium I had bought a tube...it's just weird working with watercolours and then going back with a thicker substance.

Calloway
03-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Naples Yellow Red. You cannot live without that color, just deal with it now... :)

I couldn't find that. I got naples yellow orange and two colors down from that.