PDA

View Full Version : The Structure of Man" Anatomy Video Training Course 227 Videos (43 Hours)

xombey
03-11-2007, 01:32 AM
has anyone out there ever heard of/used this? or for that matter "how to draw comics from script to print dvd", "in the studio w/george perez" "doug mahnke style of comic book pencilling" or tom nguyen style of comic book inking"?

anybody use these? were they helpful?

xombey
04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
so xombey since so many people are jumping on the band wagon in this thrilling thread, i'll hitch mine.

i ordered the 1st of the dvd's and will begin to use it this weekend. i'll post my opinion/experience afterward

Gav Heryng
04-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Usually, a lack of response means that nobody has anything valuable to offer in way of a response. In this case, I'd interpret that as a "no".

Dis

bluelinesmoke
04-07-2007, 03:03 AM
I watched a bunch of these back when it was free on youtube. Since then I think they're only available in DVD form. Shame because there is some tremendous information in there, so long as you can get past the fact that the guy pronounces it "figger" drawing. I'd recommend it to any one who wants to brush up on anatomy.

Gav Heryng
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
How else would you pronounce it?

"Fye-gyurr?"

Dis

Scott Story
04-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I watched some of those structure of man videos on Youtube. I would avoid them. The drawings look odd, and it's making the human form way to complex. It would be of vastly more value for you to go to a weekly figure drawing class or open studio which are widely available. There are good anatomy books out there, and it would save you 43 hours of watching time.

In the Studio with George Perez: This is not a drawing how-to, but an interview with George. If you are a fan, you will probably enjoy this, but it is pricey, and the soundtrack music is mixed too loud and competes with the words.

The Doug Mankhe video is good, and the Tom Nguyan video is really good. If you are really into inking and understand all the specifics, there's a ton of gold in Tom's video.

xombey
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
i've been to a lot of figure drawing classes. i graduated with a ba in art. but the problem is that the way these things are taught is not very helpful. your left on your own to struggle and then you get this vague advice. i can still remember my first class when my teacher said to me what's that black mass, in reference to my failed attempt at shading. i think drawing should be taught the way writing is. could you imagine learning to write by making up your own letters? the consensus seems to be that if i show you whow to do it the way i do it, then you'll just copy me. but most artists start that way anyway and end up adding to their teachers. that's why i prefer a dvd where you can actually see how the guy does it and the strokes he chooses. you can always choose to do something else later. and this especially applies to illustratiing things out of your head.