PDA

View Full Version : Godland: Book sixteen.

The Scribe
02-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Godland is only sixty cents this month! :bounce:

Joe Casey Explains (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8744)

Is anyone buying this? I hope so I want to see this book continue.

Ian Ascher
03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I've wanted to try this book but just havent picked it up yet.

Part of the reason is due to the fear I'll like it and have ANOTHER book added to my monthly pull.

secondrater
03-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Man, I gotta say, I just finished the first collected trade of this series, and was kind of underwhelmed by it. I'd read so many glowing reviews and positive things about this book that I really wanted to like it, but it really did nothing for me. I don't even think I'll keep the trade, probably sell it on Ebay to try to recoup some of it's cost.
The worst thing is, I can't really put my finger on any one major thing about the book that lead me to feel this way...I think it was just the little factors...
I don't think the art put me out as much as it did others...although, it's obvious the guy is no Kirby, he's doing his own interpretation of Kirby...but even though Kirby's guys were blocky and ugly, at least his women were rendered in a somewhat attractive fashion...Scioli's are just plain ugly, and the Archer sister with the peircings is just painful to look at. But I understand that Scioli is doing his own thing, and for the most part, the art doesn't bother me.
It might be the way the writing is laid out, or the characteriztions...I dunno. It just seemed that the territory had been covered before by more able writers (Alan Moore immediately comes to mind; even kirby/Lee).
It was just a hard book for me to get into and I wished I had liked it more to at least justify the $20 I spent on it. I guess even though I want to I can't like every book that comes out, no matter how hard I try. :(

The Scribe
03-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Man, I gotta say, I just finished the first collected trade of this series, and was kind of underwhelmed by it.

Reread it a couple of times maybe you will change your mind or at least buy another trade.

Of course he's not Kirby. But it's the best we have. :(

secondrater
03-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Reread it a couple of times maybe you will change your mind or at least buy another trade.

Of course he's not Kirby. But it's the best we have. :(

Yeah, I think I will reread it...give it a second go before I just write it off completely.

I'm really not harping on the guy's art...like I said, for the most part I have no problem with it, I was kind of excited to check it out actually...it's just the way he draws women turned me off a bit...