PDA

View Full Version : Someone cracked the 52 code ...

MatthewMonster
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
found this on the CGS boards

BIG SPOILERS !!!!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/RoMStuff/52secret.jpg

get your decoder rings out !

Mwynn
01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
"The secret of fifty two is that the multiverse still exists"

Paul Sanderson
01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Didn't we already know that ages ago? :huh:

The Scribe
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Did you really believe the multi-verse was gone?

52 is also the fill in for one year later. ;)

MatthewMonster
01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
well...

Infinite Crisis ended with New Earth being created, and that was seemingly it.

The Theory that the multivere was around was out there, but this is DC saying...its official.

I'm wondering what books being published by DC since OYL are taking place on what worlds...and what storylines in 52 are taking place where...Like is the new JSA series on Earth 2 ? Is the Batman in 52 some weird Earth 2 Bats ?

quetsions questions...

Scott Story
01-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm wondering what books being published by DC since OYL are taking place on what worlds...and what storylines in 52 are taking place where...Like is the new JSA series on Earth 2 ? Is the Batman in 52 some weird Earth 2 Bats ?

I sure hope not. That would be very disappointing.

Paul Sanderson
01-20-2007, 06:47 PM
The Kingdom already revealed the multiverse was alive and kicking years ago. They called it Hypertime, which was essentially the exact same thing. No big revelation there for me, this is old news and a giant con job by DC.

I sure hope not. That would be very disappointing.

Agreed, that would be a major letdown.

Moonrider
01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
It was foreshadowed by Ambush Bug's T-shirt on the cover a few moths back.

Biofungus
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
So essentially, Infinite Crisis was... meaningless?
As was Identity Crisis before it.

Damn, DC! Way to hype nothing! You're gonna be the new Marvel soon!

Paul Sanderson
01-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Infinite Crisis was quite entertaining, but it didn't bring the multiverse back, that was done earlier already. I agree, though, Identity Crisis was a complete waste of paper. Those poor trees :cry:

Project: J-ko
01-21-2007, 05:17 PM
You know, right up until I read this thread...I had been kind of regretting my decision to wait until 52 was in trades to start reading it. Now...eh, whatever.

I really hope they do something other than just re-reveal the multiverse.

Ian Ascher
01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Im in no way surprised at the results shown here, however....

I am going to stick to the thought that there is a lot more to it than DC is going to let on and tell everyone. 52 is also a sub-plot in Geoff Johns Green Lantern run as the Guardians go to find what's left of the cyborg Superman for answers. I believe its also been mentioned in the pages of Blue Beetle over the past few months.

52 has another meaning behind it, we just haven't been told what it is yet.

Biofungus
01-21-2007, 05:56 PM
We've got re-sluts?! Where? Where?! :bounce:

Ian Ascher
01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
We've got re-sluts?! Where? Where?! :bounce:

Ha! Damn my brain...

:slap:

Mwynn
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Im in no way surprised at the results shown here, however....

I am going to stick to the thought that there is a lot more to it than DC is going to let on and tell everyone. 52 is also a sub-plot in Geoff Johns Green Lantern run as the Guardians go to find what's left of the cyborg Superman for answers. I believe its also been mentioned in the pages of Blue Beetle over the past few months.

52 has another meaning behind it, we just haven't been told what it is yet.
Here is this weeks cover.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/WAcker/Week38/52-Cv38.jpg

Moonrider
01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
There could be a reason why in the end of Infinite Crisis the DC Universe was called 'new Earth' instead of just 'Earth'. I mean you don't need to say 'new' if it's the only earth around and history was rewritten right?
Infinite Crisis was not meaningless, in fact I think it's what triggered the reappearance of the multiverse. So if you put it in that perspective, it's actually Crisis of Infinite Earths that was meaningless.

Hypertime have a slightly different concept than the multiverse.

ChrisK
01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
meh... way to waste a years worth of your readers time DC.

carriertone
01-22-2007, 04:34 AM
DC never said the multiverse went anywhere. That was just assumed by us fanboys. Justice Society has been playing with the multiverse since issue one, as well as other DC books. This is not really a surprise to me. 52 is still a damn good read though. You gotta give DC props just for keeping it on schedule, and keeping it in the top five for this many issues. Nobody saw that coming (ok, maybe somebody did, but I didn't). There are bigger secrets coming.

- C

MatthewMonster
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I like the theory that 52 refers to the amount of multiverse Earths that are out there.

and yeah....the series has been fun, and right now its really getting cool.

Mwynn
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
We do know that there were 52 missing seconds at the end of IC.

Moonrider
01-23-2007, 05:28 AM
If only the whole series only cost 52 bucks.

Ian Ascher
01-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Multiple Earths doesnt necessarily mean Infinite Earths.

Written or typed a specific way a 5 and a 2 look like mirror images of each other. Could be we're Earth-5 and Earth-2 is a mirror Earth.

Just throwing that all out there.

Moonrider
01-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Another interesting fact:
52 spelled backwards would be 25, and coincidentally each issue of 52 cost...$ 2.50 in Amazon listing! Weird...... :confused:

Scott Story
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
To be honest, I still don't see this as much of a secret or revelation. It is comics, after all, and multiverses, multiple earths, hypertime, time travel, etc. all all pretty standard. Unless they are going to rip all the earth 2 characters out of their current world and put them back on earth 2, I can't see why this is news.

Paul Sanderson
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
To be honest, I still don't see this as much of a secret or revelation. It is comics, after all, and multiverses, multiple earths, hypertime, time travel, etc. all all pretty standard. Unless they are going to rip all the earth 2 characters out of their current world and put them back on earth 2, I can't see why this is news.

Exactly. And, like I said, hypertime is the multiverse, just given a different name. It's the same thing, so this is no revelation at all. As a "revelation," this falls completely flat.

Scott Story
01-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah.

in all fairness, what kind of big secret reveal could DC have made that would be both interesting and not upset the boat?

"Thomas and Martha Wayne--They're back, and this time they're kicking ass"

"The Moon is Krypton--And Brainiac wants earth's women!"

"The Speed Force--It's the new alternate energy source that will break our dependence on fossel fuels!"

"Mother earth has joined the Green Lantern Corps--and this planet is tired of pollution!"

Mwynn
01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Exactly. And, like I said, hypertime is the multiverse, just given a different name. It's the same thing, so this is no revelation at all. As a "revelation," this falls completely flat.
Not really. If time is a river, the multiverse are branches of said river. While Hypertime is the water that goes out, and then flows back into said river.
The multiverse gives different version of characters in a seperate universe.
While hypertime resides in the same universe, with the same characters changed.

Like when Jesse Quick changed to look like Liberty Bell.

Or in JLU, when John turned into Hal.

Scott Story
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Not really. If time is a river, the multiverse are branches of said river. While Hypertime is the water that goes out, and then flows back into said river.

With all respect, you just described the same thing in two different ways. Hypertime and the multiverse are the same thing.

Mwynn
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
With all respect, you just described the same thing in two different ways. Hypertime and the multiverse are the same thing.
How so. When Multiverse does not merge with the normal universe, while Hypertime does.

Khuth
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
and you wonder why its hard for new fans to jump in.

Mwynn
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
and you wonder why its hard for new fans to jump in.
Yeah but when that happens people still complain. Case in point the new JLA, it is a fresh take allowing for new people to read it. Yet there have been nothing but complaints. In fact OYL allowed for new readers to jump in.

theflash
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
i dunno, i love the new JLA title. some of the best stuff yet post the latest Crisis IMO.

Mwynn
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
i dunno, i love the new JLA title. some of the best stuff yet post the latest Crisis IMO.
I agree.

Scott Story
01-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Re: Hypertime and Multiverse

Both are multiple versions of the universe that have various versions of each other. Occassionally characters from one can visit others. Sometimes these universes cross/overlap or affect each other. All are infinite and distinct, and yet all are different versions of each other.

It's all just different words for describing the same thing.

Mwynn
01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
http://travel.to/hypertime

But in the Multiverse, every universe had one common starting point.** With Hypertime, each timeline (or, universe, if you want to call it that) has a UNIQUE starting point, that being whenever a different decision or action occurred than the one in the "one, true timeline."

Scott Story
01-24-2007, 09:17 PM
With the pre-Crisis Multiverse, the infinite universes had one common beginning. That beginning was "10 billion years ago" (Harbinger--Crisis # 7) when an Oan scientist pierced the veil of Time's beginnings in order to see the origin of the universe. His experiments caused the single universe to replicate itself an infinte number of times, so that "What was one became many" (Harbinger--Crisis # 7).

With Hypertime, different timelines (which are, semantically anyway, different from different universes) have different starting points. Let's take the Coast City disaster, the event that drove Green Lantern Hal Jordan into insanity, as an example. In Timeline # 0 (my term for the "one, true timeline" that's been the DCU since Crisis), Coast City was destroyed by a cyborg duplicate of Superman. Hal Jordan could have reacted to this many different ways, but we'll just look at three possibilities, and, since Hypertime causes a new timeline to be born every time a great decision is to be made, we'll assign each possibility its own timeline.

OK, if this distinction is somehow important, we won't call it what it is: Semantics!

If you want to pull out a section of Hypertime and call it the Multiverse because it shares a start date, I guess that's OK.

I think Grant Morrison is brilliant. Mark Waid, I liked his work up until his disastrous Fantastic Four run. If they want to rename an existing concept, I guess that's fine.

Biofungus
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Morrison is a hack, but then, semantics :)

Scott Story
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I was really fooled--I thought he was brilliant. He played us all.

Mike225
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Why do I like all the stuff that the majority of people don't like?

For instance, Waid's run on Fantastic Four. At least, the part that I read, involving Dr. Doom trying mysticism instead of science.