PDA

View Full Version : World War 3

Mwynn
01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
WORLD WAR III PART ONE: A CALL TO ARMS
Written by Keith Champagne
Art by Pat Oliffe & Drew Geraci
Cover by Ethan Van Sciver
It is a day of infamy. Chaos has broken out across the globe, and Firestorm and Firehawk are among the many mobilizing to stem the flow of blood and thunder.
In stores April 18; 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

WORLD WAR III PART TWO: THE VALIANT
Written by Keith Champagne
Art by Andy Smith & Ray Snyder
The war rages on, extending from the far reaches of space, where Supergirl encounters a missing hero, to the darkest depths of the ocean, where the fate of Aquaman is revealed.

WORLD WAR III PART THREE: HELL IS FOR HEROES
Written by John Ostrander
Art by Tom Derenick & Norm Rapmund
The horrors of war become grim reality for the Teen Titans, as they suffer the loss of one of their own.

WORLD WAR III PART FOUR: UNITED WE STAND
Written by John Ostrander
Art by Jack Jadson & Rodney Ramos
Through the fog of war, a hero is reborn, and the DC Universe bands together against the wrath of an ancient evil!

Oh, and there's one more project coming up...keep reading.

Along with telling of the war, and how it rages through the DC Universe, the four regular-sized special issues will also answer some nagging questions that have been topics of discussion for DC readers since the start of One Year Later in the books – things like: How did Firestorm get separated from Cyborg and then merge with Firehawk? Why is Cassandra Cain evil? Why did Jason Todd take over the Nightwing mantle? When did the Teen Titans disband? How’d Martian Manhunter transform?

“Spinning out of the events of World War III, we’re going to see a new Suicide Squad book, a miniseries, by John Ostrander,” Didio said. “We felt this was a great springboard for the Squad, and have a lot of story to tell with them over the course of 2007, and they’ll be a key factor of a lot of events that take place in the DC Universe, both in Checkmate, but also in their own book.”
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=97276

Mike225
01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Why would they have a Suicide Squad book when they already have Villains United?

Mwynn
01-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Villians United was a mini.

Mike225
01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I'll confess, I didn't read it, but unless they all died in the last issue, I think it's kind of redundant. It'd be like having more than one group of Thunderbolts.

You don't agree?

*Edit* Maybe the Villains United line-up will be the Squad line-up?

Mwynn
01-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I think you are confused on what VU was about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villains_United

The SS will spin somewhat from Checkmate.

Shep
01-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I was wondering about this since the begining of JSA #1 says its after World War III.

Imboden
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Civil War from Marvel.
Then comes... World War III from DC.
Hey, pretty original idea there! :rolleyes:

kdmelrose
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
In fairness, though, World War III was mentioned pretty early in 52 (Week 6, if not earlier).

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
When it was mentioned doesn't really matter, it sounds just as dopey as Civil War. Great stuff :rolleyes:

Ian Ascher
01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
In my opinion this sounds a hell of a lot better than Civil War. Might have to check it out.

L Jamal
01-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Along with telling of the war, and how it rages through the DC Universe, the four regular-sized special issues will
... show you how DC has planned since the beginning to separate you from ten more dollars in one single week.

Once 52 ends my DC pull list will be back down to 0.

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2007, 04:25 PM
In my opinion this sounds a hell of a lot better than Civil War. Might have to check it out.

True, but that wouldn't be hard. But the above info doesn't tell us anything about the story? Why a war? And who's fighting whom? Far too vague so far.

kdmelrose
01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
"Far too vague," but enough for you to label it as "dopey"?

:laugh: :blink:

Mwynn
01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
True, but that wouldn't be hard. But the above info doesn't tell us anything about the story? Why a war? And who's fighting whom? Far too vague so far.
Actually the pieces have already begun to shape. Black Adam is wanted by the US for murder. China has their own super human team. Things started in 52, then progressed OYL. It is all there if you have been reading the books, this will begin to fill in the missing parts.

Joshua P
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Could be good...52 IS my last event I'm collecting at this point. I'm looking forward to it, but also will be happy when it's all over.

JP

Mike225
01-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Everytime I saw World War III, I thought about the Grant Morrison story in JLA. The one with all the imps from the 5th dimension. I figured it was in JSA #1, cause that's the storyline they got back together.

Scott Story
01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Infinite Crisis and Civil War have changed the playing field. For the publishers to get the big numbers and the ton of crossovers, they now have to have a big event that is super big.

Yes, DC had a big event every year, but now, with the trade paperback market making a sizeable portion of their profit, now they have to do it. Also, now they have these big, name, superstar writers in a way that didn't use to matter. Now these guys are primed to make everything an event. You can't just have a regular comic title anymore--it's got to be New Avengers, or JLA Meltzer style, or whatever.

Will WWIII be any good? Don't know. We are losing something in the economic distortion here, I think. It seems to me that the talent making the books is top level and very bright, but there is a lack of vision on what to do, IMO.

Ian Ascher
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Villians United was a mini.

So is this new Suicide Squad book. Plus the name is cooler... ;)

Ian Ascher
01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Reading the full story about WWIII, this is part of 52.

Sounds like it starts around Week 50 and was something they really wanted to touch on in the series but didn't have the room for. You dont need it to enjoy the whole story but it'll add to the experiance.

Imboden
01-12-2007, 08:47 PM
There's 16 weeks left before its "One Year Later".

That's gonna be one helluva quick "world war".

kdmelrose
01-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey, the Anglo-Zanzibar War lasted only about 45 minutes -- and none of those guys had super powers.

Ian Ascher
01-12-2007, 09:30 PM
There's 16 weeks left before its "One Year Later".

That's gonna be one helluva quick "world war".

Where superheroes and villains are involved, it wouldn't surprise me if a World War lasted a few hours.

Lovecraft13
01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, a World War will need several countries to fight it. So it could breakdown between the USA, the island of Mad Scientists, Black Adam's place, and China.

Paul Sanderson
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
"Far too vague," but enough for you to label it as "dopey"?

:laugh: :blink:

Well, another event story so soon after two others, which was immediately after another...yep, that sounds dopey to me, not to mention what little we know of this seems rather similar to Civil War. Yes, I'd say that sounds dopey to me.

Infinite Crisis and Civil War have changed the playing field. For the publishers to get the big numbers and the ton of crossovers, they now have to have a big event that is super big.

Yes, DC had a big event every year, but now, with the trade paperback market making a sizeable portion of their profit, now they have to do it. Also, now they have these big, name, superstar writers in a way that didn't use to matter. Now these guys are primed to make everything an event. You can't just have a regular comic title anymore--it's got to be New Avengers, or JLA Meltzer style, or whatever.

Will WWIII be any good? Don't know. We are losing something in the economic distortion here, I think. It seems to me that the talent making the books is top level and very bright, but there is a lack of vision on what to do, IMO.

Yeah, but you're making it sound like event storylines like Infinite Crisis and Civil War are new, and they're not, both Marvel and DC have been doing them for 20 years now. Hell, DC used to do one of these babies per year in the 80s/90s (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Legends [which is pretty much DC's Civil War in a way], Millenium, Invasion etc., while Marvel had the two Secret Wars storylines), so the mega crossover is nothing new. After 20 years, these guys should have worked out what they're doing by now. And having too many mega crossovers one after the other just vitiates from the impact and interest these storylines can engender.

Scott Story
01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree, and there's no doubt this is not new. What I think changed it is the economic impact. They turned the storylines up a notch, like with Civil War, and the event became hyper-profitable. So much so that retailer started squeeling when issues are late, and the fans made a ruckus. Now, how profitable is up for debate, as seen on LITG recently, but it still looks like CW has averages about 250,000 copies each in the direct market, and raised the sales of tie in books significantly.

So, by my figuring, there's a new watermark that big events have to achieve--they have to be equally profitable. This means actually getting news coverage for the editors, writeups in non-comic venues, the whole 9 yards.

Ian Ascher
01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, another event story so soon after two others, which was immediately after another...yep, that sounds dopey to me, not to mention what little we know of this seems rather similar to Civil War. Yes, I'd say that sounds dopey to me.

Did you even read the article? It tells you everything you need to know about this story. And how can you call an extra four issues tacked onto the end of 52 another "event story"? There are no crossover issues, no double sized issues, and it's not going to stretch out over six months (ten if you're late on everything).

It's one week, four issues. The whole thing won't even cost me $8.00 after my stores pull service discount.

Awesomus Prime
01-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah, but you're making it sound like event storylines like Infinite Crisis and Civil War are new, and they're not, both Marvel and DC have been doing them for 20 years now. Hell, DC used to do one of these babies per year in the 80s/90s (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Legends [which is pretty much DC's Civil War in a way], Millenium, Invasion etc., while Marvel had the two Secret Wars storylines), so the mega crossover is nothing new. After 20 years, these guys should have worked out what they're doing by now. And having too many mega crossovers one after the other just vitiates from the impact and interest these storylines can engender.

You're right Paul, er Frank... whatever. I mean these companies have been doing mega crossovers for years. You'd think they could think of something other than a mega crossover to do. I mean every mega crossover has the same story and is unoriginal right? You showed us that with all your evidence, like the fact that their both mega-crossovers, and there are more than one of them, and the fact that you say their unoriginal and dumb...

Wait that's not evide... nevermind. You're right. I mean they should just stop publishing books every month because they've been publishing books every month since like the 30's. How unoriginal is that! And Paper, you think these guys could have enough sense to come up with something more creative than paper.

Don't even get me started on coloured and black inks...

*cough*moron

Paul Sanderson
01-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Look, I don't mind the mega crossover, but not several one after the other. That's just plain stupid, and diminshes whatever impact such a storyline may have had. Too much of a good thing, you know?

*cough* and you call me a moron, learn to read my above posts properly next time!

Mwynn
01-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I'll take good stories anyway I can get them, at this moment in time DC is doing good stuff. Keep the momentum going I say.

Moonrider
01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Does this have anything to do with The New Gods?

Mwynn
01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
It says an ancient evil, I am thinking Darkseid, if he is involved the NEw Gods will be.

Awesomus Prime
01-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Look, I don't mind the mega crossover, but not several one after the other. That's just plain stupid, and diminshes whatever impact such a storyline may have had. Too much of a good thing, you know?

*cough* and you call me a moron, learn to read my above posts properly next time!

I would actually like to apologize for skimming your post Frank. I have been hard on you lately but seriously man you're always so negative.

Anyway you're intitled to your opinions and if I'm going to mock them, least I could do is read them.

Mwynn
01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
One Year Later. You all remember it, that defining moment when all the stories of the DC Universe jumped from the events of Infinite Crisis to a time where lives of our heroes were dramatically changed. Most changes came without explanation as we watched our heroes deal with the ramifications in an attempt to rebuild their lives. But what happened? What caused this seismic change to the status quo? What transformed so many heroes?
For nearly a year we left those questions unanswered, but now their story can be told. We have hinted as it and left hushed clues as we watched the missing year slowly revealed in our mega-hit 52. In 52, we have seen a world that exists without Superman, batman and Wonder Woman, and now with 52 #50, we will see a world at war.
World War 3, the World vs. Black Adam, the meta-human war that swept across the globe. Fast and vicious, its not surprising that it altered the lives of so many of our heroes.
More devastating than a nuclear holocaust we witness the unbridled rage Black Adam as he carves a hell bent path of destruction. His story will be told in 52, but the effects of his wrath are so far reaching that we needed to create a special four part story to fully show its impact.
World War Three: A Call To Arms; The Valiant; Hell is for Heroes and United We Stand will hit stands the same weeks as 52 #50. Like I said, it’s a fast war but incredibly far reaching. The four parts, written by Keith Champagne (JSA) and John Ostrander (Suicide Squad) and drawn by Pat Olliffe, Andy Smith, Tom Derenick and Jack Jadson, featuring, well, just about everyone.
SO join us, as we uncover the secrets behind Firestorm, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman’s transformations, and reveal the tragedies of Batgirl and the Teen Titans. And now that I think about it, just how did Jason Todd become Nightwing?
Here’s your chance to find out, if you were excited by One Year Later, captivated by 52 and a fan of the DC Universe, April 18 is the week of comics you can’t miss.
Oh, one last thing, if you are wondering whatever happened after Dick proposed to Barbara Gordon, give a look to Nightwing Annual #2 also on sale in April. You won’t be disappointed.

To be continued.
Dan Didio

Paul Sanderson
01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
It's not negativity, Awesomus. Feeling that they're smothering the market with mega events isn't negativity.

Cool, will Dick and Babs be getting married in that annual?

Scott Story
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
No, he proposed to her, and a year later they are broken up. Apparently it's how they split up.

Paul Sanderson
01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Bummer :cry:

Marv, you're wrong. I am disappointed!

Mwynn
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Marv, you're wrong. I am disappointed!
Okay.

Mwynn
01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.brokenfrontier.com/img/2007/jan/WWIIICv1.jpg
http://www.brokenfrontier.com/img/2007/jan/WWIIICv2wc.jpg

MatthewMonster
01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
then there was this...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9457

Blind Master
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
then there was this...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9457

I just saw that on Newsarama. I'm not that big of a DC fan but that got my attention. The tag line with it sounds kinda silly though.

BIGROD
01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.iongraphx.com/images/WWIII.jpg

Yep, looks like the multiverse does still indeed exist (and then some) Elseworlds and Kingdom Come.

Max Lord with his head twisted backwards cracks me up :laugh:

Mwynn
01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.brokenfrontier.com/img/2007/jan/WWIII3p7.jpg

Scott Story
01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Wonder what's up with the Medieval Bat Armor?

Paul Sanderson
01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know, I'm finding it all a bit too much, all these mega stories come one after the other now, no time to recover from the previous event where we were similarly promised that "things would never be the same again." :yawn: Nice art though.

BIGROD
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Not quite medieval, but I found this which is close in design. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Pirate BATMAN"

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/vol/4000/3993/3993-38403-1-detective-comics-ann_400.jpg

Paul Sanderson
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
That looks like the guy.

Moonrider
01-25-2007, 09:56 PM
That's not really 'medieval'. He's holding a scimitar and is more middle eastern in tone. Remembering Batman's last appearance in 52 where he goes to the desert fighting ten-eyed bedouins, this may not be an 'elseworlds' Batman. The 'Red Robin' too, if you look at the cover to Call to Arms maybe that's this continuity's Dick Grayson modifying his old Robin suit. Or maybe this is a hint to why Jason Todd wears a Nightwing suit in OYL.

Scott Story
01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Very interesting. I know Red Robin has Kingdom Come overtones, but I also think it would be cool to get Dick Grayson into the Neal Adam's designed Robin suit (Which is largely more of an earth 2 thing, I guess.)

Moonrider
01-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Or maybe that is Jason Todd!

BIGROD
01-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Man I swear, they should clone Phil Jiminez and Ivan Reis so they can draw every book at DC. :laugh:

MatthewMonster
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Or maybe that is Jason Todd!

My thought exactly.

Paul Sanderson
01-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Is Jason Todd still evil?

Moonrider
01-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Is The Punisher evil? If not, the same applies to Jason Todd.

Mwynn
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
This has been the most fun I have had reading comics from the big two in years. From Identity Crisis to Infinite Crisis to 52 and now World War 3. Keep it coming DC. The only thing they can do to top this is to release Superboy Prime.

Paul Sanderson
01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Is The Punisher evil? If not, the same applies to Jason Todd.

Both are evil, but that's not really a fair comparison.

Mike225
01-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I think he means that both believe that the ends justify the means.

BIGROD
01-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Larger zoom-ins over on Newsarama now.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/WWIII/bigteaserimage.html

Check out The ATOM's arm sticking out of the ground. And there seems to be a Legion flight ring on the ground.

Paul Sanderson
01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I think he means that both believe that the ends justify the means.

Well sure, they all do. Most evil people think that what they're doing is right. Doesn't make it so though.

Moonrider
01-27-2007, 02:29 AM
They're both anti-heroes in all sense of the word. Whether they're evil or not is completely up to you as the reader and how you see it.

Paul Sanderson
01-27-2007, 02:38 AM
You're right. They're not heroes (anti or otherwise) in my book.

Scott Story
01-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I wonder if World War III means a war between actual worlds, as in Multiversal worlds, as opposed to a war with Black Adam/Khandac. That would explain 52's code about the (?) Multiverse, and why there are various versions of these characters there.

Paul Sanderson
01-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I wonder if World War III means a war between actual worlds, as in Multiversal worlds, as opposed to a war with Black Adam/Khandac. That would explain 52's code about the (?) Multiverse, and why there are various versions of these characters there.

Hmm...fascinating supposition. I guess, if each world wants to fight to be the "real" world, a fight for potential survival. That could be interesting.

Moonrider
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Nah, that has been done to death in the DC VS Marvel mini way back when.

Now we all know that the picture shown for World War 3 does not depict an actual scene, only symbols and events that has happened before or after WW3. What interest me is the Red Robin character may mean the Kingdom Come characters are involved but its universe has only been recently discovered in JSA #2. One Year Later.

Scott Story
01-28-2007, 10:18 PM
It looks like the four horsemen of death are aimed at Black Adam, so that probably clarifies it a bit.

Mike225
01-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Hmm...fascinating supposition. I guess, if each world wants to fight to be the "real" world, a fight for potential survival. That could be interesting.
Why? Superboy Prime would win.

Paul Sanderson
01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Not really the same thing, Moonrider.

Would he win, Mike Stable? He didn't last time.

MatthewMonster
01-30-2007, 03:14 AM
I defintly think Scott could be right.

WWWIII could be a massive war between 52 different Earths...and THAT story could be told a as the next weekly comic event.

....Cause as a geek i want to see the issue where Batman from Kingdom Come, TDKR, Gotham by Gaslight, Earth 2, etc to tema up and fight something/one.

Paul Sanderson
01-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Yep, definitely a possibility.

Mike225
01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Would he win, Mike Stable? He didn't last time.The last time he was beaten, it took an entire squad to do it and it cost TWO (2) Superpeople (Superman and Superboy) their lives.

Yeah, I think he'd win next time.

Moonrider
01-30-2007, 11:50 AM
If it's 52 worlds trying to defeat each other so that their world would escape being obliterated then yes, it's DC VS Marvel again. Without the Marvel and a lot more DC that is.

If it's 52 worlds trying to defeat each other so that theirs will be the only one left, that's Highlander in a multiversal scale. It is unlikely however, unless most DC Earths are just as bad as Earth-Three.

If it's 52 worlds trying to defeat one enemy, that's Crisis of Infinite Earths Again.

Or maybe it actually should be read War of Three Worlds? Hmm...
And yeah, Superboy Prime would win especially since Clark Kent is still depowered.

Paul Sanderson
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
The last time he was beaten, it took an entire squad to do it and it cost TWO (2) Superpeople (Superman and Superboy) their lives.

Yeah, I think he'd win next time.

The villain never wins, not completely. You should know that by now, Mike Stable.

Who said WWIII was original, Moonrider?

Mike225
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I know he wouldn't win completely. But he wouldn't completely lose, either.

Paul Sanderson
01-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Depends on who's writing it.

Moonrider
01-31-2007, 12:59 AM
I never said it's original. I said it has been done to death.
If Superboy Prime can be beaten without Superman's help, it would make him a less badass character after 52 is over. I for one would rather he doesn't show up at all in WW3 and save him for a much larger event later.

Scott Story
01-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Personally, I would rather Superboy Prime go away forever, and be forgotten. But, we know that's not going to happen.

Mwynn
01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=99665

fluxchild
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
seems like they are foreshadowing Apokolips and Darkseid. World War III. How many war of the worlds have DC published as of yet?

Mwynn
01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
There were hints in Ion 10 that it may also involve Wildstorm. Ion found Cap Atom hiding in the Bleed from the monitors.

Paul Sanderson
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Personally, I would rather Superboy Prime go away forever, and be forgotten. But, we know that's not going to happen.

It will one day, hopefully.

Mwynn
02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
seems like they are foreshadowing Apokolips and Darkseid. World War III. How many war of the worlds have DC published as of yet?
Metron of the New Gods is in the new Issue of Blue Beetle. They are leaking hints into the books.

Paul Sanderson
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
What do you make, if anything, of these hints, Marv?

Mwynn
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I need more clues. It has been said that all the characters in the image, are from the same Earth that their positions and the light is important.

Is the Atom sinking or trying to escape. Why are the characters on the ground sinking. Why is Superboy not among the dead.

I belive that World War 3 will be with Black Adam. Though there is something else coming that will be huge.

Paul Sanderson
02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, has to be more than just Black Adam...

I wonder which Atom that is in the picture?

Mwynn
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't know, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

kdmelrose
02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
At New York Comic-Con, Dan DiDio revealed (http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/2007/DC/DCU.html) -- or it is "confirmed"? -- that it's Jason Todd in the Red Robin costume, and Barry Allen in The Flash costume.

http://www.iongraphx.com/images/WWIII.jpg

Scott Story
02-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I think it's good that Morrison and Dini have open invitations to stay on Batman and Detective. It's a good time to be a Batman fan.

For a good Batman story, I also suggest Brave & Bold no. 1. Waid is on my black list, but he wrote a good story here. Perez is an obvious master.

Jason Todd as Red Robin? OK, he's been Robin, Red Hood, and Nightwing, so why not Red Robin.

Barry Allen? I'm surprised people are screaming pros and cons on this. The fulltime return of Barry would pretty much complete the return of all the dead Silver Age characters, like Hal Jordon, Oliver Queen, etc.

Paul Sanderson
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes, the Batman books currently are pretty high in quality, certainly a lot better than many other titles right now. Particularly Detective, which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Waid on your blacklist? What's he done, Scott?

Is it too much to hope that Jason Todd will vanish into the ether from whence he came after this storyline? :yawn:

I sure hope Barry comes back fulltime as the Flash. As you say, Scott, we've had Ollie and then Hal, this would just be a natural progression of that trend. And, let's face it, Bart hasn't exactly been a raging success as the new Flash has he?

Scott Story
02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Re Bart: I don't know. I haven't read it. The coloring scared me away. I liked Bart as Kid Flash OK in Teen Titans.

Re Waid: He wrote that FF storyline where Doom quits technology, turns Valeria into a skin suit, and threw Franklin into hell. That erased all previous goodwill for me. I really enjoyed some stuff he's done, like his run of Captain America and Flash, but that monstrous mistep in FF almost made me quit comics.

Re Barry: At this point, I don't really see any impediment in him coming back. Death just isn't what it used to be. I guess I can find this a little more redeamable because Barry was indeed a good character. Note: I liked Wally too. I didn't really see why he needed to go.

Scott Story
02-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Re Jason Todd: I don't think I dislike him as much as you do. Lazuras Pits seem like a legitimate, long-standing method of reviving characters in the DCU, even if Superboy punching time streams don't. Also, when I think of the gung ho, rebellious attitude of Jason Todd before he died, I'm not sure sure the Punisher mentality Jason Todd is that unbelievable. It kind of seems like a natural progression.

Paul Sanderson
02-25-2007, 03:44 AM
I just dislike bringing certain characters back to life that shoudn't come back (ie. Bucky, Jason Todd). I see no value whatsoever in bringing them back. Barry yes, he never should have been offed in the first place, but Jason? No.

Moonrider
02-25-2007, 09:26 AM
But you got to admit Jason is a better character after he returned from death than when he was still Robin.

kdmelrose
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
The poor kid wasn't given much of a chance: First, he's a Mary Sue/Gary Stu character who's essentially Dick Grayson Jr. Then, post-Crisis, he's transformed into an angry petty criminal/screw-up.

However, I can't help but get the feeling that DC is still trying to make up for the missed opportunity in Batman: Hush. That plot twist was botched, so they're determined to make the resurrected Jason Todd a major player.

Scott Story
02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I think Hush was a bit of a test whether the comic reading public was actually interested in Jason Todd's return or not. Marvel did this with a fake Captain America appearance in the 60's to determine whether to bring Cap back or not.

Paul Sanderson
02-26-2007, 02:50 AM
I'll remain hopeful that one day someone will come along and dispatch Jason to where he belongs. That was one of the few characters who should have remained dead. Bringing him back has no value to me, except to introduce one lame-o story after another featuring him. No thanks.

isaachawk6
03-05-2007, 08:49 AM

Um then just dont buy them? And most people enjoy the crossover series and miniseries that are put out, the more to read the better, the more stories the better, unless you prefer same ole bs again and again, this story looks like it could be interesting and I DOUBT its going to be like the civil war that marvel had

Paul Sanderson
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't intend buying them. That doesn't preclude my commenting on them as the silly tripe these overdone, overwrought series' often are.

Mwynn
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Um then just dont buy them? And most people enjoy the crossover series and miniseries that are put out, the more to read the better, the more stories the better, unless you prefer same ole bs again and again, this story looks like it could be interesting and I DOUBT its going to be like the civil war that marvel had
Yep, if the books are well written keep them coming.

Ian Ascher
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Just realized this is the third time we've seen Donna Troy in a different costume.

Bad editing or is something afoot?

kdmelrose
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Just realized this is the third time we've seen Donna Troy in a different costume.

Third time since when? She's had a ton of costumes, but she's only been shown in one for this teaser.

Ian Ascher
03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
In the past several months we've seen her in:

Wonder Woman with a Wonder Woman like costume.
Ion with her black starfield costume.
This ad with her classic red costume.

Im not 100% sure how time lines run but if everything intersects its possible she switches from the black to the red when (if) she returns to earth at the end of Ion. However, I don't have any frame of reference to say where Ion falls into place with Wonder Woman (before or after the first arc which was very very very late).

kdmelrose
03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
She's had at least six costumes.

The return to the "classic" Wonder Girl outfit for the teaser is intentional, though -- versus bad editing -- as a lot of the characters represent different worlds, eras and timelines.

Mwynn
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
A Call to Arms
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9135/worldwariiicv1cic9.jpg

The Valiant
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2900/worldwar3cvr2bqw3.jpg

Hell for Heroes
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2632/wwiii3cvrbzw1.jpg

United We Stand
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4766/wwiii4cvrayy3.jpg

Ian Ascher
03-15-2007, 11:35 AM
The cover for The Valiant seems to give the most away...

We'll see how Batgirl turns, how Donna becomes Wonder Woman and how Supergirl ends up in the future.

After seeing that cover Im going to go out on a limb and say the Donna we see in Ion is AFTER the first arc in Wonder Woman, which is several months behind its original schedule and which takes place after WWIII. So the costume changes make some kind of sense when we see her in yet another of her costumes in the Coutdown ads.

Paul Sanderson
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I do like the art shown above, I will say that.

Deadfish07
04-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Anyone else come back from the comic book store thinking to themselves, "Why didn't DC just put WWIII in one-shot if all 4 issues were coming out the same week?" Seemed unnecessary to me.

Also 52 #50 shouldn't read "World War III Begins Here" when it really began in Book One. Just came off confusing. Honestly, they should have made 52 #50 one giant size comic, because you have to flip from 52 to WWIII and back again for things to make sense.

Mwynn
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
The entire WW3 story is in 52 50 the One Shots just fill in the gaps.

Knuckles
04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
WW3 was more like how Manhunter became darker.

Mwynn
04-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Also what happened to Supergirl, why China and other countries are pissed. Why Jason Todd became Nightwing. Why Batgirl went bad. What happened to Aquaman. Why Beastboy leaves the Titans.