PDA

View Full Version : your opinion

fluxchild
01-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else, but I figured I'd try it out here for starters. I want to pitch a series idea to D.C., but I want to know how you think the concept would go over....

Brave and the Bold
starring Nightwing & revolving co-star

co stars so far:
Arsenal
Black Lightning- would like to change his name to a non ethnic name also
Kyle Rayner-
Batman & Robin (of course)

villains
Zod
Lex Luthor
ClayFace- I feel this bat-villain could switch his hatred to Nightwing and become part of his rougue's gallery
Bane
Joker
2 face

Another thing I want to do is make it part of the Vertigo imprint so the storylines can be more adult. I also feel that some of the vertigo characters could make for some interesting team ups. Like it would be cool to have swamp thing team up with Dick to fight vampires or something.

what do you guys think? Worth working on?

kdmelrose
01-01-2007, 09:24 AM
DC is relaunching The Brave and the Bold in February, by Mark Waid, George Perez and Bob Wiacek.

fluxchild
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
just my luck...I read that it was shelved though. Are they using Green Lantern and Green Arrow?

kdmelrose
01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
It's not shelved. February's Issue 1 (http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6795) stars Batman and Green Lantern, and March's Issue 2 (http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6948) features Green Lantern and Supergirl (with Batman and Blue Beetle).

fluxchild
01-01-2007, 09:46 AM
well it doesn't have to be the B&B, do you think the idea works? maybe it could be an elseworlds...do they have elseworld vertigo stories?

Scott Story
01-01-2007, 09:55 AM
The Elseworld stories are shelved for now, but are planned to be restarted at an undetermined point in the future.

DC officially doesn't accept pitches or unsolocited scripts. You'll have to think of a way around that.

kdmelrose
01-01-2007, 10:02 AM
well it doesn't have to be the B&B, do you think the idea works? maybe it could be an elseworlds...do they have elseworld vertigo stories?

I think DC pretty much put the brakes on Elseworld books, but there was never really a Vertigo version of that line anyway. (Though, I suppose, you could argue that the occasional "reinvisioning" of DCU characters in the Vertigo imprint is kind of an Elseworlds in itself.)

Honestly, I don't see a need for another Brave and the Bold-style series, particularly if it's pairing someone like Nightwing with second- and third-string characters. You can already see that in Outsiders, right? And with his solo series and Outsiders both selling in the mid-30s, I don't think too many readers are crying out for a third Nightwing vehicle.

Another problem with the concept is moving it into the Vertigo line. I'm not sure I see a need to make the title "more adult" -- heck, after the past couple of years in the DCU, I don't know much more "adult" a Nightwing book can get -- and I can't imagine DC would ever shift Nightwing and other "mainstream" superheroes into the Vertigo universe.

And not to be a wet blanket, but how do you plan to pitch this to DC? They don't take unsolicited solicitations, and series pitches are pretty much invitation-only.

fluxchild
01-01-2007, 10:07 AM
man, I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna try. I read that they were gonna kill off Dick with this infinite 52 or whatever, but decided against it. whew! Dick is probably my favorite character in either universe right now, and has been for some time now.

yellowphantom
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
...getting it solicited aside...
...please post some of your plots or script or something that we can read so we can decide for ourselves whether it would be "good" or not...

Ian Ascher
01-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Since changing their minds about killing off Dick Grayson, DC has said that Nightwing will soon be the most important character in the DCU. They have a lot planned for him over the next year or so.

That aside...

Your idea would be a good one IF DC wasn't already doing it. Your scope would need to change though. Nightwing would be a cool character to run with in Brave and the Bold but you need to use the whole DCU and all the characters in it, not just a group of Batman villains and supporting cast members.

As for making it Vertigo... I think that might be an idea killer. Even if you got the editors at DC to look at your pitch, there's no need to take mainstream characters and move them over to the other imprint. You can do more adult themed or crazy/insane stories and keep them inside the normal DCU.

mikeexner3
01-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Does GL have a broken neck in that second piece of cover art or what?

And what you should do is, rather than pitching an idea direct to DC, is start your own original concepts with a hungry artist willing to work with a writer as obviously famished as you are and get those ideas published so you can continue to build your reputation so that DC won't disregard your ideas at a glance.

My two cents.

fluxchild
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I changed the direction of the book, and would pitch it as either a maxi-series, or a bimonthly graphic novel.

ElseWorld-by Rodney Reed

Through the fringe pt. 1
synopsis

After turning down Arsenal's request for backup on a secret JL mission inside Bludhaven, he receives another rooftop invitation to meet in the maimed sister city of Gotham. Dick notices the cigarette butts of at least two packs of cigarettes smoldering on the ground. His curiousity piqued, he prepares for the journey to his former home.
Near the impact crater left behind by Chemo, Arsenal is taking readings, and waiting for his backup to arrive. A little angry that Dick turned him down gives a hidden assailants just the distraction needed to get the jump on him. One of the rogue gangs vying for dominance of the scarred city had been tracking him since his arrival to Bludhaven. As Arsenal is about to be overpowered, a shadowy figure appears turning the tide against the gang members. Arsenal expects it to be Kyle Rayner, but it's Dick.
After Dick explains his reasoning for changing his mind, Roy explains his mission. It seems that the rift that allowed Captain Atom to return to the DCU has been opening and closing at regular intervals. He is to collect information to be analyzed by the JL, but he is to not stir up any major incidents. The main reason he asked Dick for help in the first place.
The guys arrive at an area that sets off a device on Roy's belt. This seems to be the point of origin for the rift. Suddenly they are attacked by what seems to be an entire gang, but before the attack can commence they disappear. Arsenal stands up, again expecting to see Kyle, but to no avail. John Constantine emerges from a shadow puffing on a cigarette.
HE stresses that he has little time, and explains that the rift will slowly cause everything fixed by the events of the Crisis to unravel. He doesn't feel the need to explain how bad that would be, he just walks away and fades into the darkness.
Kyle finally appears and is brought up to date. They spend an hour figuring out what to do. Dick feels that they should do something about the rift themselves while Roy and Kyle feel that they should report in. Dick eventually plays on Roy's ego, and the decision to work together has been made.
Now all they have to do is figure out how to close the rift, and save their universe from a cataclysm it thought averted.

next issue

Black Lightning has also been investigating the rift, and has some important information for Dick, Roy, and Kyle. The unimaginable happens and the four are whisked away to a Earth ruled by three very powerful, and very evil men.

fluxchild
01-02-2007, 04:17 PM
The trio of heroes begin the second issue pinned down by the gang. (no official name assigned yet.) They have doubled in number and are agressively attacking the three super heroes.
Dick is trying to figure out a way out of the situation, when he feels a slight change in temperature, and the familiar feel of static electricity. As his hair begins to stand up like Alfalfa, Batman's long time ally and father of one of his teammates reveals himself. One blast from Black Lightning's hands, and the odds are more in their favor. A long hard battle is fought, all the while BL is explaining some things to him.

1.the rift IS active and very dangerous
2.someone must go through the rift and close it from that side
3.no one knows which parrallel earth the rift goes to
4.chances are great that they may not be able to return

After defeating the gang, BL also explains that with the help of Kyle he can open the rift. With no time to lose Kyle and BL open the rift. BL watches the 3 enter the rift and disappear. He now has to get information on the situation to the JL.
On the other side of the rift they see a intact and clean Bludhaven. Dick is overcome with joy knowing that the citizens that died in his world had survived the attacks here.
After a moment of touring the city they realize that this Bludhaven is very different. BLudhaven is home to every gang, and evil doer in the dcu. Realizing they had to research the history of this earth they are transported to where the daily planet used to stand by Kyle. Metropolis is devastated, except for large posters of Doomsday, Darksied, and a unfamiliar man. Newspapers litter the streets, with the caption, "Super Man still dead!"

Silently each heroe stand with clenched fist. Each vowing to figure out what was going on, and to find Doomsday and the others. Without warning they are attacked by a horde of robots.

next issue
On our earth BL is having difficulty getting to the JL. The 3 heroes learn of the history of this world, and why the rift is opening and closing.

fluxchild
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
well I guess you guys don't like the idea so far. Well I wanted to add Animal Man and Swamp Thing as well, which is why I wanted to put it in the vertigo title. It's not that I want to make it more mature it's the characters that I'm interested in. I don't think you can put swamp thing in a dcu title.

anyways it goes like this...The world they're transported to is an amalgamation of all the earth incarnations in one which is causing a backlash in the fabric of time and space. Zod is the ringleader of the terrible trio and has killed most of the superheroes that "survived" the crisis.
I wanted to include dinosaurs since the timeline is also screwed up...after Arsenal seemingly dies at the hands of Doomsday and ZOd, Dick does what anyone fighting a kryptonian would do. He finds kryptonite. He goes to the batcave to find Luthor's old kryptonite ring and finds Bruce. Bruce has gone insane from the deaths of his extended family and when he sees Dick, he thinks he's a ghost. After leaving the cave with the ring he hears a gunshot.
IOn uses his power to give nightwing the strength to battle the three, and the two set out to confront the new leadears of earth. After this it's mostly action. but in true dc style, Batman and Arsenal arrives in the nick of time to save the day, but Batman dies at the hands of Zod. Arsenal manages to shoot Zod with a Kryptonite tipped arrow ending the battle.
I haven't figured out how they're gonna get home, but Swamp Thing and Animal Man figure heavily into this.

Imboden
01-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Another thing I want to do is make it part of the Vertigo imprint so the storylines can be more adult.

I don't really see DC allowing Nightwing and that crew of characters as part of anything "adult".

Imboden
01-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Dick notices the cigarette butts of at least two packs of cigarettes smoldering on the ground.

Dude, that's an ASS LOAD of cigarettes. That's 40 cigarette butts smoldering which means, more than likely, 40 people lit up and then ditched their smokes all at the same time. Are you SURE you meant THAT many cigs? Constantine might be a chain smoker, but 40 of 'em? Still smoldering? I know that's nitpicky, but seeing as it's right there at the start, it's hard not to miss it.

ALSO, in a previous message, you said;
I read that they were gonna kill off Dick with this infinite 52 or whatever
It would help to know what's going on with a company a little more prior to approaching them with an idea. Saying "infinite 52 or whatever" might not sit well.

Just saying, is all. As for the concept itself, it sound fairly interesting and might make a decent 3 or 4 issue mini-series.

fluxchild
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
yeah...well upon further review I decided not to go with a mature theme excluding death, and just go with a few vertigo characters....I always liked swamp thing. I actually wanted to include some "movie versions" of some of the characters on the amalgamated earth

fluxchild
01-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Dude, that's an ASS LOAD of cigarettes. That's 40 cigarette butts smoldering which means, more than likely, 40 people lit up and then ditched their smokes all at the same time. Are you SURE you meant THAT many cigs? Constantine might be a chain smoker, but 40 of 'em? Still smoldering? I know that's nitpicky, but seeing as it's right there at the start, it's hard not to miss it.

ALSO, in a previous message, you said;

It would help to know what's going on with a company a little more prior to approaching them with an idea. Saying "infinite 52 or whatever" might not sit well.

Just saying, is all. As for the concept itself, it sound fairly interesting and might make a decent 3 or 4 issue mini-series.

as far as the cigarettes go that was a little exagerrated, and the infinite 52 thing was just a typo from me typing fast.....damn I've read this thread over and over and didn't catch it....i guess my eyes flip flopped over that part...lol
thanks for the comments!